Whitefish, MT - Throw out ideas!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
OK, change of plans...was originally going to Essex and staying at the Izaak Walton Inn....now, my mom wants to go with me. so, we are going to stay in Whitefish. I can see there are plenty of things to see and do, but I was wondering if anyone had been there and can point out the best things! Best places to eat, etc.

Info is appreciated!

THANKS!

first, the whitefish station is great both inside and out. a lot of old great northern stuff. i would rent a car, if it's decent weather, and dirve to glacier park. the roads are mainly closed but you could still drive to lake mc donald (a few miles from west glacier). there is the big mountain ski resort if you are a skier right out of whitefish. the town of whitefish itself has some interesting shops but i think i would explore glacier as much as time and road status allowed

i would rent a car, if it's decent weather, and dirve to glacier park
I assume you are aware that melting glaciers are a phemonenon caused by using cars (the global warming story)

Question: Does it make sense to go to visit something while you know that you're damaging it by the way you're visiting it?

I'm currently planning a carfree visit to glacier NP and after all I have not found any kind of public transport going from West Glacier to the Park.

(although it's only a few miles away from the parks public transport hub).

Does anybody have an Idea if there is a way to get into the park by public transport in the early morning?

The Lodge at Whitefish Lake is a great place to stay. It's not cheap, but it's a beautiful lodge right on the lake. It also has a very good restaurant called the Boat House. Their chipotle ribs will make the whole trip worthwhile.

There's a very good Italian restaurant called Ciao Mambo which is an easy walk from the train station. LouLa's Cafe has great pies. The rest of the food is supposed to be good too, but I've never had anything but the pies. The Buffalo Cafe is a great breakfast place. Apparently they have recently started serving lunch and dinner.

As mentioned Glacier Park is about 30 miles from Whitefish and the Big Mountain (now called Whitefish Mountain) Ski Resort is right outside of town. Also, not too far south is Flathead Lake which is supposed to be beautiful.

I assume you are aware that melting glaciers are a phemonenon caused by using cars (the global warming story)

Question: Does it make sense to go to visit something while you know that you're damaging it by the way you're visiting it?

I'm currently planning a carfree visit to glacier NP and after all I have not found any kind of public transport going from West Glacier to the Park.

Does anybody have an Idea if there is a way to get into the park by public transport in the early morning?
sam, it's an easy walk (!) from the train station at west glacier to lake mc donald (maybe 2 miles). we have done it with our packs. the glacier free shuttle runs from there in its season and jammmer tours leave from there also. there is no west glacier-lake mc donald (apgar campground) shuttle that i know of.

i'm glad you have a negative carbon footprint not too many people i know do unless they are dead and buried for awhile

Thx, i think I will then consider walking being the way to go (we'll go hiking anyway).

About that carbon footprint: Only plants have, as far as I know, a negative carbon footprint, but I might be wrong.

Mine is at about 2.2 Planets , mostly caused by the fact that I'm a train riding vegetarian which is both due to genetical reasons.

(I'm allergic to certain proteins and certainly allergic to cars)

As a "happy medium" between rail-friendly Isaac Walton and mom-friendly Whitefish, consider staying at one of the Glacier Park lodges. Several of them are only a few yards from their respective train stations. Then, you'd also have access to the park's bus system. The lodges may be slightly more expensive than staying in Whitefish (depending on what sort of accommodations you're looking for), but you wouldn't have the expense (and environmental impact) of the rental car.

I've been to the Whitefish area several times, and there are some nice places there. It's a pretty area. However, if I could go there again, I would definitely stay in one of the park lodges, partly due to the reasons I mentioned above. However, my MAIN reason for staying in the lodges is that they're absolutely AMAZING. Glacier Park Lodge is probably the most impressive, and only a short stroll across their lawn from the Amtrak station. Check out their website here. I'd also recommend the Lake McDonald Lodge (which also has cabins right on the lake), or the Many Glacier Hotel (which is also situated on a beautiful mountain lake).

You could always get the train from Whitefish to Essex for the day and have lunch and dinner at the Isaac Walton!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a "happy medium" between rail-friendly Isaac Walton and mom-friendly Whitefish, consider staying at one of the Glacier Park lodges. Several of them are only a few yards from their respective train stations. Then, you'd also have access to the park's bus system. The lodges may be slightly more expensive than staying in Whitefish (depending on what sort of accommodations you're looking for), but you wouldn't have the expense (and environmental impact) of the rental car.
I've been to the Whitefish area several times, and there are some nice places there. It's a pretty area. However, if I could go there again, I would definitely stay in one of the park lodges, partly due to the reasons I mentioned above. However, my MAIN reason for staying in the lodges is that they're absolutely AMAZING. Glacier Park Lodge is probably the most impressive, and only a short stroll across their lawn from the Amtrak station. Check out their website here. I'd also recommend the Lake McDonald Lodge (which also has cabins right on the lake), or the Many Glacier Hotel (which is also situated on a beautiful mountain lake).
i think shawn is going soon and, afaik, all the park lodges are closed until may and june. other than belton chalet which is the orignal glacier park lodge but actually outside the park and under different ownership from the park lodges

I think I will rent a diesel school bus from the 70's...

Um, yes, I am renting a car in Whitefish...but it's a Jetta TDI and environmentally approved in all 50 states, yada yada yada

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am going soon. Will be there April 9. Staying at the Duck Inn in Whitefish. I am hoping to get into the park, but it all depends on the snow and if they have opened the roads up. But I am sure we will make it to the ski areas at least (though, no skiing) and to Kalispell too.

It should be a great trip! And now I have some food places from you guys too!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I am going soon. Will be there April 9. Staying at the Duck Inn in Whitefish. I am hoping to get into the park, but it all depends on the snow and if they have opened the roads up. But I am sure we will make it to the ski areas at least (though, no skiing) and to Kalispell too.

It should be a great trip! And now I have some food places from you guys too!
Shawn, please make sure you tell us how the trip went and any recommendations you might have for those who are still planning such a trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back