Who travels the greatest distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an 9 hour drive to the Downeaster in Portland, Maine but I can fly to Boston in an hour and 20 minutes....and since I go through US Customs in Halifax before I even leave Canada....I can just walk off the plane in BOS, take a cab to South Station and can be sitting on an Acela Express in less than 2 hours from Halifax.

Hi,

I was imagining my 3,500 miles from England to New York might make me a winner, but it seems not... such is the appeal of Amtrak.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:
You're cheating! Your closest station from England is Portland, Maine :lol:

Copenhagen, Denmark here, so I'll beat you by a couple of hundred miles anyway :cool:

It’s an 9 hour drive to the Downeaster in Portland, Maine but I can fly to Boston in an hour and 20 minutes....and since I go through US Customs in Halifax before I even leave Canada....I can just walk off the plane in BOS, take a cab to South Station and can be sitting on an Acela Express in less than 2 hours from Halifax.
Unless you're in some massive hurry, skip the cab and save money by taking the MBTA's Silver Line from the airport direct to South Station. They've got plenty of room and racks for luggage and it probably only takes a few minutes longer to ride the bus than a cab.

Closest one is Las Vegas, NM which is about 193 miles. If Southwest Chief will be moved to Transcon if that'll happened, it'll be about 35 miles.
So I'm guessing that's one vote against keeping the Raton route. Scoundrel!

Not counting those off continent it looks like ReidTYK is a winner (of sorts). Since people are weighing in regardless, I have two stations available: VEC and OXN. VEC is much closer, but a mere platform, while OXN is full service and though further away (about 10 miles) is much more easily accessible by city bus.

012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to live in Emeryville! That was about four years ago and I was within reasonable walking distance of the station. Now I'm about 30 miles from SJC and 36 miles from SNS. If I could flag down the Coast Starlight at Wastonville Junction, I'd only be 20 miles away ;)

Its a 30 mile drive from my home in NJ to Metropark the closest Amtrak station to me.

Closest NJT Station for me is Elberon although I've never boarded a train from there at 6 miles. I always board in Little Silver 7 miles away since from there its a 1 seat ride to NYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back