Why bother with the Amtrak MasterCard?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone's situation is different. I do the travel hacking / points game. I am perfectly happy paying for an annual fee if I feel that the rewards from the card are worth more than the fee. Many times the fee is waived the first year. When the annual fee posts to your account, you have up to 60 days to cancel your card and the fee will be credited back to your account. The Chase Ultimate Rewards program is pretty decent because it has a good shopping portal and the UR points can be transferred to many programs. The UR program was an excellent way for me to get Amtrak travel that required 160K points.

Like everybody says here -- It Depends -

I keep and use my -- uh - Amtrak GR card for most everyday spending. (Because I want and use AGR points ++ )

Cards with fees -- got one - maybe not worth it ?? Gotta do the math (but worth it for me, shot-term anyhow)

My No-fee card (USB) paid the $2800 deer-strike rentacar damage 3 years ago - that's a benefit - but also a crapshoot.

I get offers for so many "cash-back 1%" cards

The banks have their quants.

I just try to get a better deal.

Sometimes it pays, sometimes not.

Break even -- good.

Further advice here -- welcome -- "Make a bundle quick with "points" " -- Naah

I remember "Green Stamps" (still worth something on Ebay"

-- The AGR card does NOT cover rentacar damage -- I always use my USB card or CSP card for car rentals. -

(I don't own a car and have no auto insurance -- but USB paid my rental car damage 2800 -- just another detail to think about) - read the fine print always.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chat with a nice lady from Citi who told me that they do not allow transfers to AGR.
Citi TY -> Hilton HHonors -> AGR
This week. Thx.

I think that "green stamps" are still worth a bit - compare name-your-fave points.com

same old -- like the "insurance scam" -- kinda. Pay up front - we pay you per T&C - maybe later, maybe never Read the fine print. Sheesh.

Back