Why can't you book first class online

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wondering why Amtrak doesn't offer first class tickets online for the NE corridor trains. Doea anyone know why this is so? If there is a way to check first class club car prices and reserve online, I would like to know.

I am just wondering why Amtrak doesn't offer first class tickets online for the NE corridor trains. Doea anyone know why this is so? If there is a way to check first class club car prices and reserve online, I would like to know.
The only First Class on the NEC trains is Acela First, and you can book that on-line. The Regionals only have coach and business classes.

I am just wondering why Amtrak doesn't offer first class tickets online for the NE corridor trains. Doea anyone know why this is so?
Amtrak generally tries not to sell tickets for imaginary seats. :p

Look for the Acela Express trains for first class.

In NJ they only stop in Newark and Metropark. Some skip Metropark, but I think one or two stop in Trenton.

Some skip Metropark, but I think one or two stop in Trenton.
Unlike the Metroliner's that they replaced, no Acela's stop at Trenton.

On weekdays every other Acela stops at Metropark and skips BWI. The Acela's that stop at BWI skip Metropark.

On weekdays every other Acela stops at Metropark and skips BWI. The Acela's that stop at BWI skip Metropark.
Weekday southbound Acela 2103 stops at TRE @ 6:48am

Weekday northbound Acela 2126 stops at TRE @ 8:55pm

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm, ok, I stand corrected. I didn't think that any stopped there.

That would be the NJ lobby express for State officials to go for a day trip to DC. :) It has been there all along.

That would be the NJ lobby express for State officials to go for a day trip to DC. :) It has been there all along.
Cannot argue w/ that logic. Amtrak ought to investigate where more "influentials" live, and adjust accordingly.......
wink.gif
Seems to have worked on VP Biden.....

I am aware of the NER business class as I ride it to DC a few times a year. I just wonder what Amtrak did with the old club cars that they once ran on the NE regionals and why they don't still run them?

I am aware of the NER business class as I ride it to DC a few times a year. I just wonder what Amtrak did with the old club cars that they once ran on the NE regionals and why they don't still run them?
I'm sure like almost everything else at Amtrak it had to do with funding and they put keeping the trains running ahead of some elevated level of service.

They run as Business Class cars on the longer distance day trains like the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto and such.

They run as Business Class cars on the longer distance day trains like the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto and such.
After Acela was announced, and at least a year or two before it started service, Amtrak renamed Club Class to First Class. Custom Class was renamed to Business Class.

For several years after that renaming, the Club Class cars that you remember continued to run on the Metroliner service as First Class. As Amtrak phased out the Metroliner's, the Club Class cars as noted by Jishnu were converted to what we now call a Club-Dinette. But First Class remains alive and well on Acela, and it can be booked online as noted by others.

If only they would replace the Acela First Class seats with those Club-Dinette Biz Seats.

They are very comfortable! I get to ride them up the Hudson to the Catskills occasionally.

If only they would replace the Acela First Class seats with those Club-Dinette Biz Seats.

They are very comfortable! I get to ride them up the Hudson to the Catskills occasionally.
You don't like the acela first class cars? I do! I think there are many more seats on an acela 1st class car than on the club-dinette BC cars. Maybe only about 15 seats or so on the club-dinettes, and as I have stated before, I actually like the single seats that face each other (I know, the horror!) :eek:

You don't like the acela first class cars? I do! I think there are many more seats on an acela 1st class car than on the club-dinette BC cars. Maybe only about 15 seats or so on the club-dinettes, and as I have stated before, I actually like the single seats that face each other (I know, the horror!) :eek:
Back when the Club-Dinette cars used to be the Metroliner First Class cars, there were many more seats in the car. As the Metroliners where retired the FC cars had half the seats taken out, leaving the seats on only one side of the center cafe counter. The other half had tables installed after the seats were pulled out.

Amtrak then used those seats that they removed to convert other cafe cars that used to have only tables on both ends, into Club-Dinette cars.

Back when Acela had the big problems with the brakes that sidelined the fleet for several months, Amtrak quickly reversed many of the Club-Dinette's back to full First Class cars so that they could run some Metroliner service as a substitute for the Acela's.

Amamba: I agree about the "club-duo" seats on Acela FC, the arrangement is very nice, especially when traveling with my partner down along the CT seacoast. My negative comments refer solely to how uncomfortable I find the FC seats....the new ones especially so. It seems they do not conform at all to your shape, they feel very flat backed. In comparison, the club-dinette seats not only feel more conforming, but they recline much further and have those great calf supports (even though they drop sometimes). Add in the normal tray table, and its a winner. I do keep forgetting to avoid the first row of seats in the Club Dinette though, as they have no table....though they have great 60"+ pitch!

I wonder why Amtrak did not consider some European style seating?...Thalys and ES have some every comfortable seats, though no calf supports that I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back