Why No Business Class On San Joaquin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Sumitomo third generation bi-level intercity cars will use track mounted seats. The business class self service drink station "module" would be mounted into that seat track. The tracks will also allow Amtrak/Caltrans to adjust the legroom by sliding the seats around. The overhead reading lights which will also be track mounted. These cars could be a inexpensive way to "test" business class on the San Joaquin in the future.

Does Amtrak offer any special benfits to connecting business class/sleeper passengers on the SJ since it is all coach? Typically if connecting from a sleeper to a train without, the ticket allows for a business class seat.

I was recently on the Southwest Chief intending to connect to the Coast Starlight, but misconnected due to a delay, and rerouted onto the bus to SJ train up to Martinez to reconnect to the CS the rest of the way to Seattle.

I didn't think to ask if they would offer any free snack or beverage, but perhaps should have.

Does Amtrak offer any special benfits to connecting business class/sleeper passengers on the SJ since it is all coach? Typically if connecting from a sleeper to a train without, the ticket allows for a business class seat.

I was recently on the Southwest Chief intending to connect to the Coast Starlight, but misconnected due to a delay, and rerouted onto the bus to SJ train up to Martinez to reconnect to the CS the rest of the way to Seattle.

I didn't think to ask if they would offer any free snack or beverage, but perhaps should have.
I think you're talking about Amtrak Guest Rewards point redemption trip since paying passengers choose the level of service they want on each leg of their trip.

Short answer: no. On routes that only have coach, you just get a seat. Considering the recent cutbacks I wouldn't expect any free snacks or drinks anytime soon.

I think you're talking about Amtrak Guest Rewards point redemption trip since paying passengers choose the level of service they want on each leg of their trip.

Short answer: no. On routes that only have coach, you just get a seat. Considering the recent cutbacks I wouldn't expect any free snacks or drinks anytime soon.
Amtrak is just a hired contractor for the San Joaquins, the San Joaquin Joint Powers Authority (and before them, Caltrans) makes the decisions as to what levels of service will be provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back