Why no elevated platform in Flagstaff?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amtrak Station Classifications and Features document (I can't find it online; mine is 10 years old and was included in the New York–Vermont Bi-State Intercity Passenger Rail Study) indicates that all stations should have a platform. It doesn't say whether this means a paved platform.

Is there a pax RR in the world with a lower staffing level than Amtrak? It would need to increase just to introduce a reporting structure.

At WAS a passenger rode through the tunnel hanging on the side of the train, having jumped on from the platform.

I come partly from a family of 19c/20c station masters, so am generationally aggrieved there is no supervision.

Last edited:
Some background info platform boarding height: Superliners have an 18" above-the-rail boarding height. Most new platforms are built to a minimum of 8" above the rail. Host railroads do not like heights greater than 8" for tracks that are also used for freight traffic. The tracks in Flagstaff see heavy freight use so the platform is likely limited to an 8" height. At best one would have a 10" step from Superliner to the platform, assuming an 8" platform height. Despite having boarded and alighted there before I don't recall what the actual height is, though.

Some background info platform boarding height: Superliners have an 18" above-the-rail boarding height. Most new platforms are built to a minimum of 8" above the rail. Host railroads do not like heights greater than 8" for tracks that are also used for freight traffic. The tracks in Flagstaff see heavy freight use so the platform is likely limited to an 8" height. At best one would have a 10" step from Superliner to the platform, assuming an 8" platform height. Despite having boarded and alighted there before I don't recall what the actual height is, though.
I’d wondered if it was something to do with freight traffic, but La Plata has a platform that is elevated for part of its length so that a stool is not needed for superliner boarding. The freight traffic thru La Plata seems to be at a higher speed than what I’ve seen in Flagstaff.

Of course the design of the elevated portion in La Plata is not ideal, with the narrow ramp being somewhat of a choke point due to the stationmaster preventing boarding passengers from going up until the train has stopped. We’ve discussed that here before.

Good point about the platform in LaPlata. I don't know if that location is a rare exception to the "rule", or if there are many locations with platforms greater than 8" above the rail on freight tracks.

Back