why union station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the term union is basically saying that 2 or more Railroad Companies tracks come together in the station, therefore creating the "Union"

We had this discussion some time ago on this forum. If I remember correctly, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, the two types of station were Union and Terminal. Generally, but not always, a union station allowed trains to enter from both sides/ends and pass on out on the other side/end, A Terminal allowed trains to enter, but they had to exit the same way they came in. Again, there were exceptions to this concept and others probably know much more about it than I do. Its an interesting question, though.

We had this discussion some time ago on this forum. If I remember correctly, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, the two types of station were Union and Terminal. Generally, but not always, a union station allowed trains to enter from both sides/ends and pass on out on the other side/end, A Terminal allowed trains to enter, but they had to exit the same way they came in. Again, there were exceptions to this concept and others probably know much more about it than I do. Its an interesting question, though.
Maybe in concept, but not neccessarily in actuality. Sometimes in a city with two stations, one would be called "Union" and the other "Terminal" If ICRR or NYC were major players, the station might be called "Central"

THere was no real "rule" so far as I know, the railroads generally called the station whatever they wanted to call it. For example, Little Rock Union Station has spent its entire existance served by only one railroad, originally the St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern, then Missouri Pacific, now Union Pacific with Amtrak running the train.

Here are few examples off the top of my head:

Memphis Union Station, all trains of all railroads using it orignated or terminated there. It was also stub end so that every train had to back in, pull out.

Memphis Central Station, most ICRR trains ran through, some originated/terminated, most Frisco train ran through some originated/terminated, but all had to back in and pull out, CRIP trains originated/terminated.

Atlanta Terminal Station: some trains terminated, some trains ran through.

Atlanta Union Station: some trains terminated, some trains ran through.

Louisville Union Station: a few trains terminated, most trains ran through, but all tracks stub ended so back in or back out move was required for all trains.

Louisville Central Station: all trains originated/terminated, but I think it was open on both ends.

St. Louis Union Station: All trains originated/terminated, but there were through cars. Back in for all trains required.

Jackson, Tennessee Union Station: all ICRR and one GM&O train ran through, other GM&O trains terminated.

Jackson Mississippi Union Station: (did they call it that or call it Central) all trains ran through

Actually, Mr. FSS, the terms I usually hear mentioned regarding the concepts you portray are "stub" or "terminal" for a station that only has a single way in and returning back out, and "through station" for one in which trains can stop and then continue moving in the same direction.

For nearly all of the histories with which I am familiar with, a "Union" station was applied to a station built to serve multiple railroads (though not necessarily all railroads) passing through a city. For example, DC's Union Station was built to consolidate B&O and PRR arrivals and departures into a single terminal.

As I referenced, the term "Union" was not necessarily all inclusive - just look at all the railroads that did not call on Chicago Union, but it seems that most if not all "Unions" referred to stations in which the trains of competing roads called upon.

Just to muck things up...

Chicago had 3 major stations (that i can think of off the top of my head):

a Union, a Terminal, and a Central.

Chicago Union station (CUS) was comprised of multipul companies and was both an 'Terminal' and a thru station. it was originally a thru station but after a fire (or more my history is rusty at this hour). they converted it so it had NB terminating track and SB terminating tracks along with a couple thru tracks.

the other two stations were both terminating stations. I wish I could tell you more about them (srry :( ).

peter

Chicago had 7 railroad stations as follows: Union for Milwaukee Road, Burlington, Pennslvannia and Alton (later GM&O), Lasalle Street; New York Central, Rock Island, Nickel Plate, Dearborn Street: Santa Fe, C&EI, Wabash, Grand Trunk Western, Erie, Monon and commuter trains of Chicago and Western Indiana, Central Station; Illinois Central, Michigan Central, New York Central's Big Four Division, Grand Central; Baltimore and Ohio, Pere Marquette(later C&O), Soo Line and Chicago Great Western; Northwestern Station; Chicago and Northwestern; Randolph Street Station; South Shore Railroand and Illinois Central Communter Trains. Union Station has through tracks, but all the others were stub end stations except for Central which had through tracks for commuter trains going further north to Randolph Street. As railroads consolidated, the station usage changed. Grand Central was the first station to close with B&O and C&O trains entering Northwestern Terminal. Soo Line trains had left Grand Central for Central Station a few years earlier before Soo discontinued all trains. Before Amtrak started in 1971, passenger trains still used 5 stations. Amtrak used Union and Central in beginning. A lone N&W(former Wabash) commuter train used a plat form at Dearborn Station for several years until METRA took over and moved the train to Union Station. Rock Island passenger trains and commuter trains continued to enter LaSalle Street Station. C&NW commuter trains continued to enter Northwestern Station. Today Union Station serves all Amtrak and numerous commuter trains, Oglivie Transportation Center is located where Northwestern Station used to be still serves the same commutter trains. Rock Island District commuter trains enter a station where Lasalle Station used to be. South Shore and IC districts commuter trains still enter a newly renovated Randolph Street Station.

Chicago had 7 railroad stations as follows: Union for Milwaukee Road, Burlington, Pennslvannia and Alton (later GM&O), Lasalle Street; New York Central, Rock Island, Nickel Plate, Dearborn Street: Santa Fe, C&EI, Wabash, Grand Trunk Western, Erie, Monon and commuter trains of Chicago and Western Indiana, Central Station; Illinois Central, Michigan Central, New York Central's Big Four Division, Grand Central; Baltimore and Ohio, Pere Marquette(later C&O), Soo Line and Chicago Great Western; Northwestern Station; Chicago and Northwestern; Randolph Street Station; South Shore Railroand and Illinois Central Communter Trains. Union Station has through tracks, but all the others were stub end stations except for Central which had through tracks for commuter trains going further north to Randolph Street. As railroads consolidated, the station usage changed. Grand Central was the first station to close with B&O and C&O trains entering Northwestern Terminal. Soo Line trains had left Grand Central for Central Station a few years earlier before Soo discontinued all trains. Before Amtrak started in 1971, passenger trains still used 5 stations. Amtrak used Union and Central in beginning. A lone N&W(former Wabash) commuter train used a plat form at Dearborn Station for several years until METRA took over and moved the train to Union Station. Rock Island passenger trains and commuter trains continued to enter LaSalle Street Station. C&NW commuter trains continued to enter Northwestern Station. Today Union Station serves all Amtrak and numerous commuter trains, Oglivie Transportation Center is located where Northwestern Station used to be still serves the same commutter trains. Rock Island District commuter trains enter a station where Lasalle Station used to be. South Shore and IC districts commuter trains still enter a newly renovated Randolph Street Station.
That was a neat thumbnail sketch of all the former train stations in the Chicago area jphjaxfl.

Thanks for sharing it!

Chicago had 7 railroad stations as follows: Union for Milwaukee Road, Burlington, Pennsylvania and Alton (later GM&O), Lasalle Street; New York Central, Rock Island, Nickel Plate, Dearborn Street: Santa Fe, C&EI, Wabash, Grand Trunk Western, Erie, Monon and commuter trains of Chicago and Western Indiana, Central Station; Illinois Central, Michigan Central, New York Central's Big Four Division, Grand Central; Baltimore and Ohio, Pere Marquette(later C&O), Soo Line and Chicago Great Western; Northwestern Station; Chicago and Northwestern; Randolph Street Station; South Shore Railroand and Illinois Central Communter Trains. Union Station has through tracks, but all the others were stub end stations except for Central which had through tracks for commuter trains going further north to Randolph Street. As railroads consolidated, the station usage changed. Grand Central was the first station to close with B&O and C&O trains entering Northwestern Terminal. Soo Line trains had left Grand Central for Central Station a few years earlier before Soo discontinued all trains. Before Amtrak started in 1971, passenger trains still used 5 stations. Amtrak used Union and Central in beginning. A lone N&W(former Wabash) commuter train used a plat form at Dearborn Station for several years until METRA took over and moved the train to Union Station. Rock Island passenger trains and commuter trains continued to enter LaSalle Street Station. C&NW commuter trains continued to enter Northwestern Station. Today Union Station serves all Amtrak and numerous commuter trains, Oglivie Transportation Center is located where Northwestern Station used to be still serves the same commutter trains. Rock Island District commuter trains enter a station where Lasalle Station used to be. South Shore and IC districts commuter trains still enter a newly renovated Randolph Street Station.
I agree - thanks for posting the info. With all those station it is easy to see why Chicago was the rail center of the country.
I used to hang out on Roosevelt Road whenever I could in the 50's. I took many slides and have most of them today. This is one of my favorite shots, taken in the mod-50's on Roosevelt Road where it crossed the Dearborn Station tracks.

122687910-L.jpg

That was a neat thumbnail sketch of all the former train stations in the Chicago area jphjaxfl.

Thanks for sharing it!
Great photo, thank you for sharing it with us!!! :) :D

That was a neat thumbnail sketch of all the former train stations in the Chicago area jphjaxfl.Thanks for sharing it!

Great photo, thank you for sharing it with us!!! :) :D
Glad you liked it. Those were the good old days!

that is a great picture MrFSS, thanks
Thanks!

To see all my 50's slides that I have Photoshop'd, check this LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back