Will improved relations with Cuba improve eastcoast long distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the question is where that price point lands vis-a-vis the ferry...and no, this isn't an idle question. Let's not forget the "border penalty" with Canada...it isn't hard to see something similar emerging where a round-trip fare to/from Havana ends up being something like $500 (the same way it has often been for places like Montreal).
Even a $500 r/t flight from New York to Cuba would be competitive with land transport. The Cuba ferry service linked to above is talking about r/t fares of over $300, and that's not even from Miami...that's from Marathon Key. Then you have to get to Miami (let's say a shuttle bus can do it for $50 r/t) and then on Amtrak to New York, which is gonna run at least $250 r/t.

So $500 for a non-stop or even a connecting flight versus a ferry to a bus to a train for roughly the same price...well, that might appeal to people like US who like that sort of adventure, but not to a typical traveler. Now, competition may drive down the ferry price, but it won't affect the Amtrak price.

When I was on a cruise , Freeport I think, we were docked next to a ship that went to Miami (once a week?) for the locals to buy groceries. etc. I am sure someone will do something similar, and may the marketing gods at Amtrak figure out how to hook up with them.

So the question is "Will normalized relations with Cuba lead to significantly increased Amtrak demand in Miami?"

I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back