Will new cars have newer power outlet layout?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a train, that would be fun trying to get a laptop or tablet to stay in place. Many larger devices use too much power for wireless.
That is just a matter of designing an induction pad with adequate capacity. Afterall induction technology is able to power entire streetcars, so it is hard to believe that there is a fundamental technical limitation inherent to the technology. A simple click-on clamp to hold the device in place would solve the problem of a a moving train that is capable of spilling an entire coffee mug on your lap fro the flimsy table in Coach too.

The problem is less on the supply side than the receive side. Not sure how much weight it would add to the body of the device. One of the few good things about external power supplies on laptops amd tablets, they keep the weight and thickness of the device down. Of course, we have made huge strides in the power density of battedries, that has been a big plus.

Then again many carry a snap on battery pack like Mophie which occasionally adds some weight and thickness. A similar snap on for inductive charging could be solution. Still avoid the wire mess.

As for the current solutions being proprietary for inductive chargers, that is just a matter of time. Work is already going on for creating standards in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
At a high level, decisions will have to be made how much effort (and money) will be spent in future proofing vs backward compatibility. Whatever decisions are made we can be reasonably certain that lots of people will be unhappy, and whatever is done will be obsolete before it is implemented on a widespread basis. Of course, at the speed with which fleet re-equipping is taking place, we may be having an entirely different conversation 5 years from now..

Instead of an USB or an USB-C for simply providing power, I would much rather see a wireless charging pad, probably built directly into the fold-down tray. Even cars and Ikea furniture are moving toward offering a built-in wireless charge pads (Qi).
Wireless charging is extremely inefficient, is based on proprietary designs, has patent license issues, and suffers from a total lack of backward compatibility. No thanks.
Ah, the future scares you a bit. That's understandable. But don't worry, we can probably put in one of these jacks for your phone. Though, like USB, there is still the risk of that darn wire accidentally getting tangled around something.
It's possible that wireless charging is the future. It's also possible that it will always be a niche technology for lazy people with a fear of tangled cables.

You electrical engineers and hi tech gurus are leaving us poor Luddites in the dark with this technical info!

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it! LOL
Don't have a clue. I haven't thought about power electronics since college, although I did interview for a job related to wireless charging. At my heart I'm a ones and zeroes guy.

At a high level, decisions will have to be made how much effort (and money) will be spent in future proofing vs backward compatibility. Whatever decisions are made we can be reasonably certain that lots of people will be unhappy, and whatever is done will be obsolete before it is implemented on a widespread basis. Of course, at the speed with which fleet re-equipping is taking place, we may be having an entirely different conversation 5 years from now..
Providing 120V three-prong outlets would be reasonable future proof. However, I would think that a good way to future proof is to provide some some of modular outlet that operates off of 120V AC and can be replaced with any new standard.

It was mentioned that wireless charging just isn't standardized in any meaningful way. It's not as if there's a way to built a generic charging pad and to apply different electronics.

Now that think of it, would overhead outlets make sense? My main issue with the wall outlets is that it gets awkward stringing a cable across the window seat passenger.
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is pretty strict about heights for receptacles, etc and that drives heights (and would make overhead difficult, plus cords dangling would be a hassle for the person in the window seat). I think there is a different set of regulations for transit, but I would suspect outlet height would need to be accessible.

Part 38 sub F covers intercity rail, and they do have a height standard for receptacles in sleepers, but no mention of them in coaches. But consider that ADA requirements for seating provide for separate areas for wheelchair seated passengers and companion, if you put your receptacles appropriately there, and in the ADA restroom (1 of the 2) you aren't bound by that for regular seating. It isn't the same as how you would build a building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back