Will transferred points reset expiration clock?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom has a lot of AGR points she’ll never use, I recently moved from DC area to an area that isn’t served conveniently by Amtrak.

My last trip was 18 months ago, if she transferred AGR points to me, will that reset my expiration clock?

Also thinking of buying points or just getting AGR credit card.

I'd check with Amtrak on that. I think that may qualify as "activity". There is a fee for "sharing" points as has been my experience transferring between my wife and I.
Buying points, even a minimum amount, would do the trick.
"If no Member initiated qualifying activity is recorded or reported within 24 months for a Member, the Member’s points will expire. Members can view all point and travel activity in the "My Transactions" section of My Account on this site." I couldn't find examples of "qualifying activity" but, sounds like if it appears in the "My Transactions" it may qualify.

Last edited:
I had 17k AGR points close to expiry and I ended up buying 1000 just to be on the safe side and that did work.

Just yesterday I was approved for the AGR FNBO card with 40k bonus so now I will be good for a while (and have plans on how to use the points before they expire!)

I had 17k AGR points close to expiry and I ended up buying 1000 just to be on the safe side and that did work.

Just yesterday I was approved for the AGR FNBO card with 40k bonus so now I will be good for a while (and have plans on how to use the points before they expire!)
If you use the card on a fairly regular basis the points will not expire.

If you have the AGR credit card your points will not expire. Someone reported, though, that if your credit card account is closed and you haven't had recent activity on your AGR account it will expire immediately.

Per Amtrak AGR Terms: "Points will expire if your account has been inactive for more than 24 months (no points have been earned or redeemed during that time)."

That was my experience. I was close to 24 months (almost never earned via paid tickets) so I bought 1000.

If your really worried about your points expiring, you can call AGR to ensure that there has been recent activity on the account. However, having the credit card should automatically prevent the points from expiring.

Per Amtrak AGR Terms: "Points will expire if your account has been inactive for more than 24 months (no points have been earned or redeemed during that time)."

That was my experience. I was close to 24 months (almost never earned via paid tickets) so I bought 1000.
If you are up against the 24 month deadline, purchasing points is the quickest way to get some activity...almost instant!

Back