Wine & Cheese to go in ABQ ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanA

Train Attendant
Hi, everyone -

Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up a bottle of wine and some cheese before boarding in Albuquerque? I've never been there, not sure what the law is - can stores sell liquor in the morning or do I need to pick up wine the day before? Is there anything near the station for bottled water, snacks etc.? I'll be taking a cab to the station - is the neighborhood walkable or should I just plan on buying everything in advance?

Jean

Unless it's a Sunday, you'll be fine buying your wine in the morning (stores can sell alcohol beginning at 7:00 A.M., except on Sunday, when they can't sell until noon).

In terms of stores that should have a fairly good selection of wine and cheese, there is a Smith's (Kroger) supermarket about 2 miles east of the station, and a Whole Foods about 4 miles northeast.

Downtown Albuquerque is decently walkable, and there is a 7-Eleven a few blocks northwest of the station.

I pack a stainless steel backpacking cup for making hot beverages using an electric immersion heater and I pack a a stainless steel wine glass for wine and water from Amtrak's water dispensers.

FWIW - Amtrak policy is that private stock alcoholic beverages can only be consumed in the privacy of a sleeper berth.

Thank you - very helpful. This will be my first visit to the Southwest and I'm looking forward to seeing desert for the first time. I have a roomette booked and use an immersion heater and steel cup - one of the best travel buys I've made. And I bring an insulated bag with a large ziplock I keep filled with ice so I can bring cheese and other perishables on board. Little comforts.

I pack a stainless steel backpacking cup for making hot beverages using an electric immersion heater and I pack a a stainless steel wine glass for wine and water from Amtrak's water dispensers.

FWIW - Amtrak policy is that private stock alcoholic beverages can only be consumed in the privacy of a sleeper berth.
Doesn't the stainless steel cup get HOT?

Maybe it has an outside cover like this https://www.rei.com/product/884337/gsi-outdoors-infinity-backpacker-mug?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8843370001&CAWELAID=120217890000757630&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

Maybe it has an outside cover like this https://www.rei.com/product/884337/gsi-outdoors-infinity-backpacker-mug?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8843370001&CAWELAID=120217890000757630&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG
Pretty neat. I think I'll get one for tea on a future trip. Now I'll need find an immersion thingy. Thanks

There is a small restaurant inside the station. The station also serves Greyhound. The bus service that runs east and west on Central Avenue (old US 66) is cheap.

If the circuit breaker gets tripped, the Conductor will ask who was running a heating element.

On the platform is the place to find a piece of turquoise jewelry (several vendors).

There is a small restaurant inside the station. The station also serves Greyhound. The bus service that runs east and west on Central Avenue (old US 66) is cheap.

If the circuit breaker gets tripped, the Conductor will ask who was running a heating element.

On the platform is the place to find a piece of turquoise jewelry (several vendors).
City bus is $1 each way for adults ($2 for a day pass); 35¢ for seniors and disabled each way. Routes and schedule info available in ABQ Transit station north side of Amtrak station (maybe a 5 minute walk).

If I read the specs correctly, that model of immersion heater consumes 300 watts, which should OK on the outlet in your roomette, but perhaps not the outlet in the trains bathrooms or any other outlet you encounter with a sign "for shavers only". Those outlets typically have a rated capacity of 100 watts.

I had this same dilemma. The closest liquor store is 1306 Broadway Blvd SE, Stadium Liquors. Its about a mile away. If your train is on time, Take uber and have them wait while you go in the store and then return. The whole roundtrip took 10 minutes. You're on your own for the cheese.

I had this same dilemma. The closest liquor store is 1306 Broadway Blvd SE, Stadium Liquors. Its about a mile away. If your train is on time, Take uber and have them wait while you go in the store and then return. The whole roundtrip took 10 minutes. You're on your own for the cheese.
Stadium Supermarket is next door to Stadium Liquors, but your choice of cheese is probably limited as it's a really low end (poor neighborhood) market.

image.jpg

If I read the specs correctly, that model of immersion heater consumes 300 watts, which should OK on the outlet in your roomette, but perhaps not the outlet in the trains bathrooms or any other outlet you encounter with a sign "for shavers only". Those outlets typically have a rated capacity of 100 watts.
Then I'm OK. I don't brew hot beverages in the toilet.

The specs on this from REI & Amazon indicate the mug portion is polypropylene, with the outer 'kozie' being "Acrylic Coated Cotton" [via Amazon]. I'm not sure I'd want to stick anything in the mug which got hot itself (at least hotter than the water I was trying to heat). Another product on the same REI page looks like it would be a better use for heating water with an immersion heater---though at a positively mind-blowing price:

Snow Peak Titanium Double Wall 450 Mug

http://www.rei.com/product/876106/snow-peak-titanium-double-wall-450-mug

FWIW, I've seen a line of insulated stainless steel mugs & tumblers recently at DICK'S Sporting Goods; I can't remember the manufacturer offhand, but they range in price from $15-$45.

Then I'm OK. I don't brew hot beverages in the toilet.
I mis-read that as Hot Dogs, and thought -- there's an idea. Boil a couple hot dogs in my roomette! :giggle:

Is the outlet nomenclature universal? I notice in many of the Superliners on the western long distance routes, the accommodation outlets have "shaver only" labels. With all my gadgets attached, I'm pretty sure I've never drawn more than 75 watts, but it would be good to know in case I wanted to use an appliance that might bump the draw over 100 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back