Wine tasting?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
I heard a rumor that the Coast Starlight's wine tasting in the Parlour Car has been restored. Any truth to that? I rode the CS in May and there was no wine tasting but I did "wine" about it.

I'll be riding again over Labor Day weekend and taking a first time rider in sleeper class. Sure would be nice to have the wine tasting back!

It would appear that was a "one off". If I was Amtrak I would be all over the wine and cheese companies to have them sponsor these events (and provide the products) on their trains, but then again Amtrak's marketing dept isn't exactly an organization that thinks out of the box.

It would appear that was a "one off". If I was Amtrak I would be all over the wine and cheese companies to have them sponsor these events (and provide the products) on their trains, but then again Amtrak's marketing dept isn't exactly an organization that thinks out of the box.
In that case where are the boxed wines and Velveeta cubes? I guess even that would be too "luxurious" for the House of Representatives.

LOL!! My firm works with wineries and breweries (we are a marketing agency) and I just happened to mention to one of them a few weeks ago about how Amtrak had discontinued the W&C events on some of their LD trains, since I am a fairly frequent traveller on Amtrak's LD trains. The firm I made that comment to said that if Amtrak really wanted to do something "special" that they could have multiple wineries and breweries vying for, on a rotating basis, the opportunity to showcase their products on these trains-without any cost to Amtrak. This is not an uncommon way to promote products at all. I think though, for the Empire Builder, for example, the challenge would be the mess with the current schedule, since in most cases the plan would be to have the "presenters" come aboard at one station, do the event, then depart at a station down the line, much like the NPS volunteers do on that train. I could think of many ways Amtrak could really kick things up several notches, for not only the Sleeper pax, but the Coach folks as well, by working with national firms to promote their products/services-without costing Amtrak any precious operating dollars. We are not talking about rocket science here. These types of things are done all the time. Look at how Disney promotes the heck out of their services in a myriad of venues throughout the world.

Excellent idea Mike! Has your company pitched Amtrak?

I guess the "Cut Squad" in WAS is so busy dreaming up nickel and dime cuts to try to appease Anti-Amtrak zealots in Congress they don't have time to consider something that would benefit their customers and not cost Amtrak any money!

Joe Boardman and the 60 Mass desk jockeys need to leave Beech Grove in the yards and get out and ride the LD Trains and interact with the customers and the employees that do the work where the steel wheels meet the iron rails!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back