Winter clothes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Temperature in the train will be comfortable, but you will want long sleeves, a sweater, and a heavy coat (Chicago winter snows start early December). In DC, temperatures or more moderate than Chicago, but still you most likely will want a sweater over your shirt then a coat or wind breaker depending on the temperatures and the wind. Wear shoes that you don't mind walking in snow if it should snow or in rain, but it can rain at 33 degrees. layers allow you to adjust as the day warms up and gets cooler. Head cover is recommended in the cold since you loose a lot of body heat through an uncovered head. Gloves are necessary. December can be a wild card month as far as the weather, sometimes Chicago has no snow, but some of the heaviest snows have been in December. Denver can be the same.

Traveling through the Rocky Mountains with snow will be beautiful and the same for south of Pittsburgh to DC. If you are prepared for the cold, you will have a great time. Also be prepared for the 40's which might be just a sweater and/or windbreaker.

Have a great trip, take lots of pictures.

Layers is key in cold weather. And cover your head and ears; a lot of heat leaves the body through it in cold weather.

If OP is asking specifically about clothing needed on the train: Temperatures do sometimes vary onboard, and you probably won't be able to alter that, even in a sleeping compartment. You'll be wise to bring layers (from short sleeve to sweater--you almost certainly won't need a coat on the train) that suitable for both daytime and sleeping, so you can add/subtract as needed to be comfortable.

The others have given good advice! Just don't overpack ( most hotels have Laundry Rooms now) and don't take heavy clothing like snowboots,lined topcoats etc. Travel light and travel right is the way to roll!

Don't forget Sunglasses and sunscreen if you're gonna be outside in the snow, people not used to it can burn easily and the glare can be a problem!

For travel in sleeping compartments, just remember that cool air comes through the air vent in the ceiling above the door. It has a damper that can reduce the air flow. Heat in the compartment is generated by an electrical resister unit behind the exterior wall beneath the pull-out table. You can control that unit by a rheostat on the back of one of the seats, near its reading lamp.

Pardon my ignorance but , I know CZ is the Zephyr , but can't figure out what 'CL' stands for.

Thanks for all the good information both on the train and upon arrival. Think I better head to the clothing store, living in So Cal I have a lot of cotton
You don't have stuff like high-tech polyester clothing? Most people seem to have that these days. The important thing is that if you sweat in cold weather, the cotton will start getting cold quickly, since it loses most of its ability to insulate. Synthetics or wool are much better.

This is something I learned doing a lot of hiking.

I highly recommend a Patagonia Down Sweater for on and off train use. Weighs in at about 11 oz, packs down to nothing, and is comfortable from 20 to 60 degrees F. Heck, sometimes I even wear it for sleeping if I get chilly. Very versatile for every aspect of travel.

I highly recommend a Patagonia Down Sweater for on and off train use. Weighs in at about 11 oz, packs down to nothing, and is comfortable from 20 to 60 degrees F. Heck, sometimes I even wear it for sleeping if I get chilly. Very versatile for every aspect of travel.
I second that. I have one also and it works great for this Florida native/resident when traveling and at home if it gets chilly here.

Silk long underwear is great for travel. Packs down to nothing, lightweight for layering, and can be used for pj's if needed. It's very warm for its weight.

I second that. I have one also and it works great for this Florida native/resident when traveling and at home if it gets chilly here.
Good to hear. That one item alone takes the place of needing to layer or anything. I wore shorts out to PDX last fall and used it daily. Especially appreciated walking around at the Whitefish stop.

I use Underarmore leggings when I traveling for compression (16% lycra) and warmth (keeps body warmth inside) on my legs at night. Very comfortable, since I have also used them on long plane flights to Hawaii or Alaska. In the cold my legs stay warm.. These are used by many hunters, sports men and women, and those working in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back