Wiscasset Waterville and Farmington Railway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today (Sunday) we were in Boothbay Harbor for a puffin watch and had some spare time on the way home so we decided to stop off at the WW&F Railway Museum in Alna near Wiscasset Maine.

The WW&F was a 2 foot gauge railroad that ran from Wiscasset north with the intent of linking up with other railroads and eventually reaching Quebec but this never happened. The railroad was abandoned in the 1930s. The museum has put back a few miles of track on the original right of way plus has engine #9 the last remaining WW&F engine.

They weren't operating this day but we got an impromptu tour by one of the members who had stopped in, plus another member working on some projects gave us a lot of information about some of the ongoing work.

PXL_20230716_174214729.jpg
This is part of the frame for future engine #11. They are building a brand new 2 foot gauge engine similar to #9 the last remaining engine that ran on the WW&F and also the Sandy River & Rangley Lakes.
PXL_20230716_173449271.jpg
A pair of new trucks to go under one of the coaches #3 I believe which is an original WW&F coach. They used vacuum brakes. You can see the brake cylinder to the right of the truck bolster.
PXL_20230716_173313529.jpg
A new engine house almost finished just needs doors and insulation. That is #9 in the bay to the right.

PXL_20230716_173300070.jpg
They also recently completed a turntable. My last visit here was in 2006 when I helped out at a Columbus Day weekend work session. A lot has happened since then..

PXL_20230716_173241834.jpg
Bridgton & Saco River engine #8 on loan from the Maine Narrow Gauge museum in Portland.

PXL_20230716_172819511.jpg
Monson RR #4 also on loan from MNGRR in Portland. The Monson had 2 locos #3 and #4 both of which were preserved. They were among the engines that ended up at Edaville RR in South Carver MA for many years. All those engines have since come back to Maine.

It was an interesting visit. I hope to come back at a time when they are operating. They have added a couple of miles to their main line since I rode it last.

Back