Wolverine Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW RIVER GEORGE

Train Attendant
What's the top speed these days on Amtrak's Kalamazoo line, 79 or 95? Saw that some stimulus money is going to the Wolverine, what's it going to be used for, ADA compliance at stations en-route? Just curious.

What's the top speed these days on Amtrak's Kalamazoo line, 79 or 95? Saw that some stimulus money is going to the Wolverine, what's it going to be used for, ADA compliance at stations en-route? Just curious.
Current speed is 95MPH for that stretch from Porter, Indiana to Kalamazoo, Michigan.

They're supposed to increase it to 110MPH. Any official word if that's been done. I was also told by the conductor that when said funding comes in the whole route will be 110MPH shaving over 2 hours off the whole trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks. Are the 95 speeds every day on every train, or just once and a while? I wonder if Mrs. Garmin was having a bad day, or if 106 is correct. I believe the top speed of the P42 is supposed to be 103?

Top speed is indeed currently 95 MPH, it is scheduled however to be increased to 105 MPH next, not 110 MPH.

Additionally there is stimulus money that is supposed to be used to extend the current 97 miles of high speed service, and some money is also supposed to go to the NS portion of the line to add another track in an effort to help reduce the delays between Chicago and where the Michigan lines split off. The later will also help out the LSL and the Capitol.

Future stimulus money? The only thing I see in the previous announcements was $40 million for three station upgrades, Troy, Battle Creek, and Dearborn.

Future stimulus money? The only thing I see in the previous announcements was $40 million for three station upgrades, Troy, Battle Creek, and Dearborn.
I believe the Chicago to Porter upgrade has been funded through a grant from the $8 Billion HSR money recently. That is different from the Stimulus money.

I believe the Chicago to Porter upgrade has been funded through a grant from the $8 Billion HSR money recently. That is different from the Stimulus money.
The $8 Billion in HSR monies was Stimulus monies. It just took them a while to award the money, but it was part of the Stimulus package.

The $8 Billion in HSR monies was Stimulus monies. It just took them a while to award the money, but it was part of the Stimulus package.
You're right. What I was trying to say is that this is different from the 1.3 billion that went to Amtrak which covered those station upgrades in Michigan. Of course it helps to wake up properly after a heavy lunch before posting :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back