Wolverine, to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How nice that was that a snowstorm didn't prevent the trains running from Michigan to Chicago over the past few days. We were delayed en route, I learn something every time we take the Wolverine, about an exterior sensor system that was inop, and the crew had to get out at the direction of Norfolk Southern, and manually take temperature readings every so often. 2 thoughts I had... 1) Could anything really have overheated? and 2) Man I felt sorry for the crews having to go outside and perform the task.

I admit I don't know much about the train's engine cooling systems, but cars can overheat in the winter, even when it's -10.

Perhaps someone who knows more about trains can shed a bit more light on the exterior sensor system and what it does?

And, yes, I feel bad for the crews as well. It's been bitterly cold the past couple of days.

Hi,

Most heat sensors would check the heat from the wheels and axles on each coach, this detects problems with brakes binding and axle bearing problems.

I guess if it is snowing, the crew could just look for melted snow near the wheels!

Ed :cool:

Aloha

Low temperatures make metal brittle so slow orders apply below some temp. that may have been why they were checking also

On the way back from Chicago this morning: 3 hour delay. I really couldn't be unhappy about a delay since anyone traveling by air probably would have had a worse time. Not a whole lot of information given but something about the engine being frozen for Train 350. People with smartphones were checking the website for updates but apparently there wasn't any further information. I had already told the kids to use the facilities in the station to prepare for frozen bathrooms being out of service, but the engine was kind of a no-go item. So finally we were heading out to board and the station employee said something about Train 303 and I said we were on 350... she kind of grinned and said, "That's the next one to be delayed... this is exactly how yesterday started out." I couldn't help but think it was bound to get worse later, given what is forecast to start happening in terms of temps. Then as we were walking out to the track, what sight do we behold but a Superliner... on the Wolverine! I couldn't believe our good fortune. The coaches on the LD train are so beyond comfortable. And the heat works. The seatback pocket had the diner menu for the Empire Builder... which then made me wonder, with that equipment was running the Michigan train... what they were going to do for this afternoon's EB.

Aargh! I wish I'd seen this earlier. I'd have run out to get a picture of it. :)

The EB left CHI about 3.5 hours late. It's possible they grabbed a coach from another train. They're pretty swappable.

Forgot to mention, also. The morning Wolverine would normally have terminated at Pontiac, MI before returning to Chicago (I think, from what crews have told me before, the train stays there for 3 hours and then becomes the evening departure back. They seem to trade crews at Battle Creek instead in the Detroit area. Anyway, yesterday the Wolv was announced to be terminating in the Detroit depot, with bustitutions available to the stations beyond (Royal Oak and Pontiac). This was announced prior to the Jackson stop so that if anyone wished to detrain at Jackson or Ann Arbor and make other arrangements, they could do so.

It also occurred to me, that the LD coaches with the legrests are so comfortable, I could easily envision saving the money on a sleeper and spending a night in that seat.

IMG_0877.mov

Attachments

• IMG_0877.mov
    916.8 KB · Views: 11
Back