Working on the Railroad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is awesome technology. Wonder how much distance it can work in a day?

I also wonder why they still had men dropping those tie-clips or whatever you call them. That looks like a hazardous job.

I've seen a similar machine in use on the Long Island RR replacing ties at the Woodside station. It's quite impressive to watch. I'll have to go and see if I can find a story that I saw at that time, but I seem to recall that they can do something like 2 to 3 miles of track in one day.

I've seen a similar machine in use on the Long Island RR replacing ties at the Woodside station. It's quite impressive to watch. I'll have to go and see if I can find a story that I saw at that time, but I seem to recall that they can do something like 2 to 3 miles of track in one day.
All that technology and only 2 to 3 miles a day?

Makes the achievement of ten miles of track laid by hand labor in a day seem all the more amazing by Jack Casement's CPRR crew a century and a half ago. :cool:

Only kidding, really just an apples and oranges comparo. The modern railway is lightyears better than the former.

My sister's boyfriend sent that video to me, pretty cool to see how the whole thing "lays out".
mosking.gif

Back