Would you like the Pere Marquette to have a full service cafe car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is a poll about the Pere Marquette train would the passengers who use this train like the State

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime in late October, four new trains subsidized by the State of Illinois will start - with cafe cars. I understand these will be Amfleets coming from California. With limited cafe cars available, those States that will support the service get the cars!

I am unclear what point guest Avia (Avia-tor?) is making, apart from another plea for a self financing rail system...There are no unsubsidised rail systems in the world!

SLH

I am unclear what point guest Avia (Avia-tor?) is making, apart from another plea for a self financing rail system...There are no unsubsidised rail systems in the world!SLH
I think the point being made by Avia is that Illinois may be using all the available Cafes for their new service leaving no cars available if Michigan wanted to add one to the Pere Marquette. That is not the case, but that was the poster's meaning

Matt - they should talk with North Carolina DOT that operates the Piedmont. A classy little train with business class and dinette. Very much like the Pere Marquette service in that it has 4 cars generally, links a smaller city, Raleigh, with the larger one, Charlotte. Mileage is 173 vs. 176 on the Pere Marquette. Perhaps the DOT has found some innovative ways to fund this. Likewise a talk with the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority that operates the Downeaster might give the Michigan folks some ideas. It never hurts to talk.

Correction - no business class on Piedmont. Cafe car is nice and the snacks and beverages are complimentary. On my trip had a good Danish and lots of hot coffee. I don't remember if the train volunteer host served it up or if there was an attendent. The Downeaster has a much more comprehensive menu.

This is a crazy discussion.

If the citizens of Michigan and the regular passengers want additional equipment on the train, then they need to tell their elected representatives that is what they want and that they are willing to pay for it. "Save our trains Michigan" does not have the power or reputation to get something like this done. If it did, the car would be on the train now. How many members are there in Save our trains Michigan and how many passengers have communicated to Save our trains Michigan that they want a cafe car?

Does Save our trains Michigan (or Mississippi) work with the Amtak Government Affairs offices to try and get these things done?

As an after-thought and in line with what North Carolina does, perhaps all these people clamoring for a Cafe Car can form a volunteer Train Host Program, similar to NC and then one of the volunteer train hosts can serve all these people.

you dont have to tell me anything My Dad has worked for the State of Michigan for over 30 years in the Att Gen office plus my mom was a teacher for over 30 years i know what evrey hand is doing in the State Of Michigan.

Need we see or hear more of this jibberish ????

LETS USE COMMON SENSE HERE; MY MOTHER AND DAD WORKED FOR THE WAR EFFORT IN WW II BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW "EVERYTHING" OR WHAT "EVERY HAND" WAS DOING IN WASHINGTON. YOU NEED TO RECTIFY THE JULY 3rd FIASCO BEFORE YOU START RUNNING THE STATE OF MICHIGAN FROM LOUISIANA. THE ONLY ONE WHO CAME CLOSE TO "KNOWING" IT ALL IS IN THE POKEY IN OAKDALE, LA~ EDWIN

EDWARDS.

The Blue water and Pere Marquette would not be around this year if Save Our Trains Michigan didn't get involved with Sen Shirley Johnson the information was given to our group about the August 10th cut off date for both trains due to Sen Shirley Johnson cutting the budget on the 2 trains to $6.1 million we pushed very hard on this issue held a rally in East Lansing Mi which got the attition of a lot of people we had free air time on radio stations telling people about the rally the news that goes out on the internet for the State Of Michigan did a story 3 days before the rally and advertised the rally that got Sen Shirley Johnson's office in an uproar.

Yes we work with Amtrak and the State Of Michigan and the Sen and Rep's we have saved these 2 trains year after year because we have the news media on our side to do story's and the respect of a lot of Rep's in Michigan.

Can you tell us how many members there are in Save Our Trains Michigan and SOT Mississippi?

Do you do your own press releases and if so, can you link us to them?

If you are writing to these Senators and Representatives, can you link us to some of the letters?

I am curious how you can be so influential in Michigan and have such garbled text in your posts to this forum.

I am having a hard time believing your claims; however I am willing to be proven wrong, just show me the proof in actual numbers, copies of letters and press releases.

We dont write letters we talk and e mail with the Rep's and Sen and MDOT.

We are an all Vol group we all have full time jobs and do this on the side.

Members our on the web site we dont have people join we are not set up like that we give out information and the public acts on it.

We just e mail the news media or they contact me via e mail or phone.

What a surprise. . . . no proof.

MARP, like almost all NARP-affilliated rail advocacy organizations, has no more than one part-time paid position, yet maintains legal paperwork, standard charity accounting practices, publicizes lobbying eforts PRIOR to any announced results, etc. Sorry, but the vast majority of THOSE people also have full-time jobs, families, etc. Not buying the baloney.

I work two jobs, take college coursework to maintain my licenses, put in upwards 20+ hours per week with an educational charitable organization, and somehow am still able to keep track of what I do. I have every one of my Amtrak-related letters, dating back to 1980. Marginal effort whatsoever.

we work along side with MARP look at there web site we had a sit down meeting with some MARP Officers last Jan and it was approved to work along side of Save Our Trains Michigan.

We do things that MARP can't do and they do things that we dont have the manpower to do.

MARP, like almost all NARP-affilliated rail advocacy organizations, has no more than one part-time paid position, yet maintains legal paperwork, standard charity accounting practices, publicizes lobbying eforts PRIOR to any announced results, etc. Sorry, but the vast majority of THOSE people also have full-time jobs, families, etc. Not buying the baloney.

I work two jobs, take college coursework to maintain my licenses, put in upwards 20+ hours per week with an educational charitable organization, and somehow am still able to keep track of what I do. I have every one of my Amtrak-related letters, dating back to 1980. Marginal effort whatsoever.

SURPRISED ANYBODY ???

Last edited by a moderator:

SURPRISED ANYBODY ???
What a lot of people dont understand is if you declare 501C and become non profit you are limited to what you can do and say that is why MARP has teamed up with Save Our Trains Michigan we have no limits since we do not accept any money from anyone.

Minutes of a MARP meeting, pulled off their website:

Coalition with Save Our Trains Michigan. Members decided to take a cautious approach to joining Save Our Trains Michigan rallies as some members in attendance felt the group’s approach might hurt efforts to retain state-sponsored passenger trains.

What a lot of people dont understand is if you declare 501C and become non profit you are limited to what you can do and say that is why MARP has teamed up with Save Our Trains Michigan we have no limits since we do not accept any money from anyone.
I said absolutely nothing about 501© charities. What I did say, just in case you didn't read my actual post, was point out that your "we're too busy singlehandedly saving Amtrak to prove anything" argument didn't hold water.

Funny how, once someone gets to a specific question, you dance away from it and start talking about something else. July 3, group membership, proof of claims. . . .

All in all, this is kind of fun.

Another question: what was the point of your survey? Did you really want to know, or were you looking for some free publicity? This is a train site; one would expect positive results.

Anyone disagrees and you start railing on them. That's not what a survey is for. Oddly enough, your survey's results are running on the negative side. . . On THAT point, I know results would be different had the survey NOT had any mention of any possible link with any specific group-- example, listing one political party will lure negative input from die-hard members of the oposing party. A more accurate survey question, one that would address the situation far better than "Who wants a full meal", would have been, "Would you want, and use, improved food services on The Pere Marquette, and be willing to use a portion of your tax dollars to do so?" that's because wanting something and being willing to pay for it are two totally different concepts.

To the guest posters: I will say that, validity of either side's arguments notwithstanding, at least Matt has the fortitude to post using a real member account. :rolleyes:

To the guest posters: I will say that, validity of either side's arguments notwithstanding, at least Matt has the fortitude to post using a real member account. :rolleyes:
One would assume that if I quote MYSELF, and the original post has my name on it. . . .

Bad assumption, apparently.

Alan / Matt:

This thread seems to have gotten completely off the rail primarily due to a a selection of primarily "guests" coming in to bash Matt on something completely unrelated to the subject at hand. Looks like a good time to either lock it or delete those posts that rant on about completely irrelevant issues. In case various readers have forgotten, the question on the table is supposed to be an attempt to accertain the level of demand for a Cafe Car on the Pere Marquette, and that alone. It is not about what is a reasonable wage, the presumptive level of financial flushness or brokeness of the state of Michingan, how the state has treated their teachers, other programs or anything else other than the issue of the CAFE CAR.

All states plead poverty whenever it suits their purpose, but I have yet to see any state legislators or high level employees waiting for a city bus or greyhound, or being able to prove that their income level qualifies them for food stamps. Nor do you see any real emphasis beyond lip service on building public buildings, school or otherwise, that are economical, durable, and economical to maintain and operate. Instead that almost all look like they are designed by architects trying to make "statements" which many times interfere with their actual function rather than facilities that are economical with the taxpayer's money. Generally when economy does come in, it is the deletion of something that is truly useful because the decision makers live in such a world of unreality they can not tell the difference between useful, beneficial, and purely ornamental. The state probably loses track of more money in their big ticket programs like the highway department and education than the total spent on rail all kinds, amtrak plus freight assistance, if they even have such a thing in Michigan.

I have not participatee in the poll because my time in Michigan has been limited to change planes in Detroit to and from overseas plus one unintentional night spent at the expense of Northwest Airlines.

George

...All in all, this is kind of fun.
You have to admit, he does liven things up around here with his diatribes. In a kind of meandering, bumble-stumble way, it is pure genius.

Yes. I fully realize that George, Alan and others will not be very happy with this post but put yourselves in Amtrak employee shoes for once; how would you feel if someone came into your office shouting, "We're closing this place down next month !!!" and then it never materializes? Let's get real here and stop making lame excuses for someone who been PROVEN to be a publicity hound with almost no one to back him up except a bunch of titles and barely legible posts that would insult a 3rd grader that anyone can make up. Dorothy, along with Toto, made better headway clicking her shoes together...

...All in all, this is kind of fun.
You have to admit, he does liven things up around here with his diatribes. In a kind of meandering, bumble-stumble way, it is pure genius.
Yes. I fully realize that George, Alan and others will not be very happy with this post but put yourselves in Amtrak employee shoes for once; how would you feel if someone came into your office shouting, "We're closing this place down next month !!!" and then it never materializes? Let's get real here and stop making lame excuses for someone who been PROVEN to be a publicity hound with almost no one to back him up except a bunch of titles and barely legible posts that would insult a 3rd grader that anyone can make up. Dorothy, along with Toto, made better headway clicking her shoes together...
First, I'm pretty sure that George wasn't defending Matt and I know that PRR60 wasn't.

Next let's get real here; rumors surrounding Amtrak's imminent demise have been rampant for years. Amtrak is well known for its own internal rumor mill. And of course there is the annual nail biting that seems to occur every fall as employee's, railfans, and much of the general public who use Amtrak await the results of the annual budget dance in Washington. So no one who works at Amtrak should ever be surprised if someone comes into their office shouting "We're closing this place down next month!!!" Something that by the way Matt didn't do, he simply posted something on the internet that he got from someone at Amtrak. Let me stress that again, he got it from someone at Amtrak.

I don't know who, I don't know what their position of authority might be, but the reality is that his post originated from someone at Amtrak. So if the employee's want someone to blame for last July’s scare, then they had best start with the Amtrak rumor mill, which would appear to be running stronger than ever. I'm not going to sit here and debate once again what Matt should or should not have done with that information, as that subject has been well covered already.

One would assume that if I quote MYSELF, and the original post has my name on it. . . .

Bad assumption, apparently.
I see no place in this thread where you quoted yourself. :unsure: But even then, the average person wouldn't know that it's you simply because you quoted a post that you had already made using the guest feature.

However, I believe that Anthony's point is the anonymous nature of guest postings. They provide no way for any member to respond privately be it to support or challenge your post(s), should they be so inclined. As well as the fact that it’s much easier to criticize when no one knows who you are. I do note that you usually do at least provide a name when you post as a guest, but many others did not.

It takes only a very short time to register for this board and there are no charges associated with it and no penalties to be paid, like for example getting spam in your inbox. Failure to do that, while being critical of someone who has done that, is almost like the more than 50% of Americans who sit around complaining about a politician, yet never bothered to show up and exercise one of the most important rights granted them under the Constitution, that being the right to have voted for or against said politician.

Alan / Matt:
This thread seems to have gotten completely off the rail primarily due to a a selection of primarily "guests" coming in to bash Matt on something completely unrelated to the subject at hand. Looks like a good time to either lock it or delete those posts that rant on about completely irrelevant issues. In case various readers have forgotten, the question on the table is supposed to be an attempt to accertain the level of demand for a Cafe Car on the Pere Marquette, and that alone. It is not about what is a reasonable wage, the presumptive level of financial flushness or brokeness of the state of Michingan, how the state has treated their teachers, other programs or anything else other than the issue of the CAFE CAR.
I agree George and it is done, and for the very reasons that you've stated.

And let me be perfectly clear, this thread was not closed in an attempt to defend or protect Matt, it was closed because as George pointed out, it is so way off topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back