Wow, CDL luck holds twice in a row! but...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Congrats to the Cardinal for it's second time in a row reaching NYP station ahead of schedule. But this time it was well ahead of schedule. According to Amtrak.com it shows the CDL due into NWK at 9:35, but she arrived at NYP at 9:16 this evening. Um... doesn't a train always have to wait till it's scheduled departure before leaving a station? NWK isn't a flag station or anything that I can see. Thoughts?

CDL.jpg

TIA, Linda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to the Cardinal for it's second time in a row reaching NYP station ahead of schedule. But this time it was well ahead of schedule. According to Amtrak.com it shows the CDL due into NWK at 9:35, but she arrived at NYP at 9:16 this evening. Um... doesn't a train always have to wait till it's scheduled departure before leaving a station? NWK isn't a flag station or anything that I can see. Thoughts?
attachicon.gif
CDL.jpg

TIA, Linda.
Stations Alexandria, VA and north are discharge only. Since no passengers are getting on, no need for the train to wait.

No, it doesn't need to wait when it only is discharging pax, which #50 does, starting in ALX - all the way to NYP.

Oh, I didn't realize that it only dropped off between those stations. That makes sense then. I knew there was something I wasn't catching. :p Anyway, congrats to the crew, 4 minutes early on the 22nd, and 40 minutes early today! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. :)

They put a D notation next to station times in the timetable to indicate that the station is "discharge only" (and can leave early). Here's a clip from the Cardinal's timetable:

Cardinal-Hoosier-State-Schedule-071513 copy.jpg

Congrats to the Cardinal for it's second time in a row reaching NYP station ahead of schedule. But this time it was well ahead of schedule. According to Amtrak.com it shows the CDL due into NWK at 9:35, but she arrived at NYP at 9:16 this evening.
Yes, the #50 Cardinal arrived at NYP 40 minutes early which is a rare event.
However, possibly to maintain some sort of karmic balance for trains connecting to the NEC from the south, the #92 Silver Star arrived at WAS 5:13 late and the #80 Carolinian 3:30 late at WAS. The history at Amtrak Status Maps shows a 5 hour delay to Star between Raleigh and Rocky Mount. According to trainorders, #92 had an engine failure and #80 #90 was stuck behind it on a single track segment. :(

Edit: fixed typo with #80 instead of #90

They put a D notation next to station times in the timetable to indicate that the station is "discharge only" (and can leave early). Here's a clip from the Cardinal's timetable:
See, I learned something new! Thanks, I did not know/notice that. :) Edited to add that I see an R = only receives pax. Cool!

OK, first I say that I was very surprised to see "CDL" on the Amtrak forum, since I'm so used to seeing it on the bus/truck forums talking about those Commercial Driver's Licenses! :)

Good to see the Cardinal's improving OTP. Seems that the Buckingham Branch upgrades were not that important after all. But as usual, 51 isn't doing as great as it's opposite brother. Let's just hope 50 (25) gets another good arrival into NYP.

Joe & Joe were on that one.
Hmm?

Congrats to the Cardinal for it's second time in a row reaching NYP station ahead of schedule. But this time it was well ahead of schedule. According to Amtrak.com it shows the CDL due into NWK at 9:35, but she arrived at NYP at 9:16 this evening.
Yes, the #50 Cardinal arrived at NYP 40 minutes early which is a rare event.

However, possibly to maintain some sort of karmic balance for trains connecting to the NEC from the south, the #92 Silver Star arrived at WAS 5:13 late and the #80 Carolinian 3:30 late at WAS. The history at Amtrak Status Maps shows a 5 hour delay to Star between Raleigh and Rocky Mount. According to trainorders, #92 had an engine failure and #80 #90 was stuck behind it on a single track segment. :(

Edit: fixed typo with #80 instead of #90
Not just that, but elsewhere on the system, the EB and SWC are both doing very poorly. 4 (25) and 3 (24) both had Service Disruptions.

The Atlantic Coast Service appears to have been doing rather well this summer as far as time-keeping goes. Yesterday's 4+ hour delay was unusual, though it seems it is always the Star that gets the short end of the stick. It was also the Star with all its passengers that got stuck outside Richmond for 13 hours due to Amtrak's weird idea of managing failures.

BTW, the 3 and 4 Service Disruption is due to a washout on BNSF and 3/4 are cancelled between LAX and ABQ, possibly for a couple of days. The Interstate is also closed at two places between needles and Barstow with many vehicles stuck in mud, so no possibility of bustitution either.

For more on that see: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/56491-amtrak-southwest-chief-4-cancelled/

Good to see the Cardinal's improving OTP. Seems that the Buckingham Branch upgrades were not that important after all. But as usual, 51 isn't doing as great as it's opposite brother. Let's just hope 50 (25) gets another good arrival into NYP.
The eastbound #50 Cardinal tends to do ok much of the time on the Buckingham Branch when it reaches Clifton Forge close to on schedule. Gets to Clifton Forge late and then it often gets later and later, presumably going upstream against CSX empty 8000' long coal train traffic.
The Buckingham Branch maintenance, signal, and siding upgrades should eliminate many slow orders and reduce the Cardinal trip times while improving schedule timekeeping. The 30 mph speeds trundling over the ~9 miles of the Orange Line branch don't make for a speedy trip, for example. Don't know if they have finished the track and tie maintenance work on that section yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back