Wow-Heartland Flyer sold out....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Have to take a trip to Madison/Milwaukee WI in a few weeks. Airfare is pretty high, so I thought I'd see how much it would be to take a train, in sleeper on the company dime, even though it would burn 2 days up, and 2 back. Turns out it's irrelevant, the Heartland Flyer from OKC-FTW (to connect to the TE in FTW) is sold out on the day I need to leave to get there in time. Go figure, guess that train's been picking up ridership. I know it was sold out or nearly so, last time I took it on New Years Eve, but I chalked it up to the holiday. The only other time I rode it, I felt like I was the only one on board! (that was back in 2009 or so, I think. Guess it's getting some use finally. Good news! Now if they would just get around to extending it to KC, and adding a departure at each end, so it was a little more user friendly. I'd take it a few times a year, if it worked out, I HATE the drive to KC.

Have to take a trip to Madison/Milwaukee WI in a few weeks. Airfare is pretty high, so I thought I'd see how much it would be to take a train, in sleeper on the company dime, even though it would burn 2 days up, and 2 back. Turns out it's irrelevant, the Heartland Flyer from OKC-FTW (to connect to the TE in FTW) is sold out on the day I need to leave to get there in time. Go figure, guess that train's been picking up ridership. I know it was sold out or nearly so, last time I took it on New Years Eve, but I chalked it up to the holiday. The only other time I rode it, I felt like I was the only one on board! (that was back in 2009 or so, I think. Guess it's getting some use finally. Good news! Now if they would just get around to extending it to KC, and adding a departure at each end, so it was a little more user friendly. I'd take it a few times a year, if it worked out, I HATE the drive to KC.

I know how that goes! I've gotten a rental car a few times to get to FW. There's a Hertz a few blocks west of the station in FW, and they reimburse taxi fare from the station to the rental agency. The drive to FW is shorter, time-wise, so maybe that's an option?

I hear you on the drive to KC...the worst was a few years ago on an all night Amtrak-Greyhound bus. Never again! :)

The drive to FW is shorter, time-wise, so maybe that's an option?

I hear you on the drive to KC...the worst was a few years ago on an all night Amtrak-Greyhound bus. Never again! :)
Nah, if I can't take the train all the way, I'll just fly. Not worth it to drive to FTW, take the train to MKE, drive from MKE to Madison, then do it all in reverse. I'll just pad my skymiles account some more and save some money, and the equivilant of 3 days travel time!

I'm driving up to NEW to catch the SWC in order to save a day of vacation time over the HF-TE combo. The boarding times are awful but the parking is free. Just FYI the OKC airport is finally getting the naked body scanners on March 7th.

Except for OU-Texas Weekend, the Flyer rarely sells out hard, but since that is during Winter Break for schools, I suspect some huge group booking(s) must have happened. And during March, they will likely add an extra Coach and/or a Sightseer. That trip is well worth it riding in the Sightseer, especially considering most other pax seem content to stay in their Coach seats.

Except for OU-Texas Weekend, the Flyer rarely sells out hard, but since that is during Winter Break for schools, I suspect some huge group booking(s) must have happened. And during March, they will likely add an extra Coach and/or a Sightseer. That trip is well worth it riding in the Sightseer, especially considering most other pax seem content to stay in their Coach seats.
If you're interested, the date I was looking at is Saturday March 17th that's coming up sold out. I've never seen a SSL on the Flyer, didn't know they ever had one on that train, though I have seen 4 coaches from time to time. Might make a day trip with the kiddo next time they add the lounge, just for fun.

I would try looking again later over the next few days. Since that is spring break, they might decide to put on an extra coach car. During peak times, they'll put on 4 coaches. Not sure if that is already in the inventory or not, but worth a shot to look. Plus March 17th is a Saturday, and St. Patrick's Day. I'm thinking some guys are taking a day trip or a weekend trip down for some good ole' green beer.

If you're interested, the date I was looking at is Saturday March 17th that's coming up sold out. I've never seen a SSL on the Flyer, didn't know they ever had one on that train, though I have seen 4 coaches from time to time. Might make a day trip with the kiddo next time they add the lounge, just for fun.
March 17 is St. Patrick's Day. Maybe a bunch of people heading from Oklahoma to Ft. Worth/Dallas to party! Another explanation is there is track work that morning, blocking the route. On the other hand, the northbound HF is on the schedule later that day and Saturday is an unusual day for performing trackwork.

In 2010 they added a Sightseer for most of March and last year one was added for OU-Texas and ended up remaining until the following Wednesday; the Conductor explained something about union rules and getting a yard crew to uncouple and transfer the SSL back onto the northbound Eagle.

As others have mentioned, I wonder if they are accounting for an extra coach. There is almost always a coach and P42 sitting near the FTW station and I believe it is for the Flyer. Just saw it sitting there today except this time it was just an old bi-level coach without the engine.

Amtrak shouldn't have cancelled the Lone Star in the first place. According to unreliable Wikipedia, it was the seventh most popular Amtrak LD. I think it would do great it Amtrak found the equipment. This should solve any congestion just as a bonus to an extra CHI-Texas train, in parallel with TE passenger growth.

When I was at OKC in January for the 40th anneversary train the Flyer was sold out with the conductor turning passengers away. A few were able to get on without reservations.

When I was at OKC in January for the 40th anneversary train the Flyer was sold out with the conductor turning passengers away. A few were able to get on without reservations.
Walk ons are allowed on the Flyer, but they will pay high bucket; if one has managed to get to the vestibule without a res number and if the Conductor or AC is in a good mood, they will have them call Amtrak and get a res to get a lower fare. But either way that is a tonpot of extra paperwork they have to deal with, especially if a lot show up.

Amtrak shouldn't have cancelled the Lone Star in the first place. According to unreliable Wikipedia, it was the seventh most popular Amtrak LD. I think it would do great it Amtrak found the equipment. This should solve any congestion just as a bonus to an extra CHI-Texas train, in parallel with TE passenger growth.
Yep, I agree it was a popular train. I never did understand why they discontinued it. I think they just hate Texas.

Apologies if this is a stupid quetion, but why does the Heartland Flyer start from Fort Worth? Wouldn't Dallas be a better starting point as Dallas is more the epicentre of the DFW conurbation than Fort Worth can ever be, and the train would be more accessible to more people that way?

Or better still would be if the train could serve both, and if it could use the TRE tracks in between, it could also stop at DFW airport.

The tracks between Gainesville and Dallas are not up to standard. Back in the Santa Fe days of the Texas Chief, the Dallas section Sleeper and Chair Car cut on and off at Gainesville with the main train proceeding through FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back