write your reps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank

It's each and every person's duty to write their politicians and let them know how they feel about rail travel in America. I know that goes without saying. But every once in a while, I feel the need to write some politician far, far away out of my district, to either thank them for supporting our national rail network, or to scold them for not understanding the necessity of the same.

But every once in a while a special case comes along and demands even more of an effort. The Hon. Rep. Jo Ann Davis, a Republican representing the 1st District in Fredericksburg, Va. comes to mind.

She recently called the local Amtrak officials on the carpet, in her office, to scold them for not announcing which track the Amtrak trains were arriving on, even though Amtrak had pointed out to her that this was CSX's track, and therefore it was CSX that would be obliged to make these calls. Amtrak went on to explain that it would cost too much money to install message boards and man them at the station.

Now granted, not knowing which track to wait on would be extremely frustrating, no doubt. But in this age when Amtrak is able to tie only one of it's shoes at a time because of lack of funding, it's easy to feel outraged when hearing such whining from politicians.

I get the feeling that with Mr. Gunn at the helm, if the government would grant Amtrak $2.5 billion per year, instead of the $1.8 Amtrak has asked for, all the while only receiving $1.2 billion, Mr. Gunn would see to it that every passenger was personally greeted at the gate, kinda Wal-Mart like.

But seeing as how President Bush and others who actually sign the checks have decided that bridges can go without repair, or equipment can be serviced less often, or that ties and track can wait a few more years before being replaced, or that thousands can be trimmed from the payroll, well, you get the picture.

When I read stories about government officials calling Amtrak on the carpet and demanding anything at all......

Jo Ann Davis is a brat. Nothing less. To tell Amtrak not to ask for anymore funding until they fix this problem shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of the scope of problems facing Amtrak. While she moans about wanting electric signs announcing train arrivals and departures like at your local airports, which by the way have received billions of dollars post 9/11, the bridge just East of town needs replacing. The ties underneath 20 miles of track West of wherever need replacing. And on and on.

The full story is here.

http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2004...3062004/1287715

Fed Up Frank

In a sense, I can agree with her on her side of the story. I feel many times the passengers are misinformed, either because of poor signage, lack of anouncements, etc. But I do also see your point of view, too. As a politician she, in my opinion, should have conducted her behavior a little more professionally being she is/was actually misinformed of the real facts. But Amtrak faces this kind of situation every single day, and always will! After all, Amtrak is the carrier, and the passengers in general will blame them for anything that happens. The passengers could care less about "actually" who is to blame! Only the outfit they paid their money to for a service to be rendered! If they are on a VRE train, then if anything happens, well in the eyes of the passenger (who paid their money to them), then VRE is to blame. I am faced with service recovery every day at Amtrak, myself, as I answer for CSX problems!!!!

OBS,

One thing I considered here is that, as you know, most railway stations are nothing more than shed buildings, manned 8-5, and lucky to get that. It's not like airports, who have many carriers coming in and splitting the bill. It's a monopoly, but one that's owned by the government, therefore it's legal. Many times a train only comes through twice a day, one East, and one West.

I remember a friend of mine getting off of the Southwest chief in the middle of the night, and there was nothing around that station but sand and sagebrush. Not even any lights.

Every train station does what it can and that's it. Fredericksburg isn't Penn Station. And these stations all do what they can under dollar considerations and federal rule.

If my memory serves, America spends as much on our national rail system as Belgium does on hers. And we've got a bit more landscape to care for.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back