Your personal experience with Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
My daughter finally moved somewhere Amtrak goes, yay! I'm leaving this Thursday, February 23 on Train 21 from Chicago to Austin. Have you guys had any experience with this train being late?

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-18%20at%2011.59.12%20AM_zpsewljqv2p.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I meant to say what's your personal experience been?

I took the TE to Dallas for a business trip. The train was pretty much on-time the whole way. I think we were 45 minutes late at one point, but we made up time overnight and got to Dallas 20 minutes early.

I'm not sure if the consist is still the same, but you'll want earplugs if you're in a sleeper. My train had only one locomotive and no baggage car, so the first sleeper (transdorm) was right behind the locomotive. The horn kept me up all night, even though I had earplugs and had taken sleeping pills. I think I managed a total of two hours of sleep.

On the plus side, I was awake for Little Rock. :)

Also, when you approach St. Louis, you'll enjoy a lovely view of the arch and skyline before you cross the Mississippi. You'll want to be on the right side of the train for that.

I took the TE to Dallas for a business trip. The train was pretty much on-time the whole way. I think we were 45 minutes late at one point, but we made up time overnight and got to Dallas 20 minutes early.

I'm not sure if the consist is still the same, but you'll want earplugs if you're in a sleeper. My train had only one locomotive and no baggage car, so the first sleeper (transdorm) was right behind the locomotive. The horn kept me up all night, even though I had earplugs and had taken sleeping pills. I think I managed a total of two hours of sleep.

On the plus side, I was awake for Little Rock. :)

Also, when you approach St. Louis, you'll enjoy a lovely view of the arch and skyline before you cross the Mississippi. You'll want to be on the right side of the train for that.
Thanks for the info! The arch sounds great. Maybe I can talk my cousins in St. Louis into bringing me dinner ;) I'll ask for a seat on the right, thanks.

My only experience on the TE was a year and a half ago. Between San Antonio and San Marcos a wicked tornadic thunderstorm dumped 15 inches of rain in less than three hours and the tracks were washed out. We were bussed to Fort Worth about 30 hours later and I arrived in Chicago two days later than planned. Obviously, this is not typical. I've planned a trip on the Eagle for next month to Fort Worth and north on the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City. I'll share my experience. When I've researched the OTP of the Eagle into FTW it does seem pretty timely.

While knowing it's a reply from a forum member might make you feel warm & fuzzy, the quantity of those personal responses you get here will pale in comparison to the quantity and quality of the data contained in either the Amtrak website or this one: https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/home.php This later one has the advantage of being able to find early/late data for any of the stations along the route and for any of its departure days (of the week). IMHO this cold hard data is much more meaningful than any you'll get in this thread - but that's just me. :)

Cheers

My only experience on the TE was a year and a half ago. Between San Antonio and San Marcos a wicked tornadic thunderstorm dumped 15 inches of rain in less than three hours and the tracks were washed out. We were bussed to Fort Worth about 30 hours later and I arrived in Chicago two days later than planned. Obviously, this is not typical. I've planned a trip on the Eagle for next month to Fort Worth and north on the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City. I'll share my experience. When I've researched the OTP of the Eagle into FTW it does seem pretty timely.
Yikes! I've had something like that happen going eastbound to Chicago. Can't remember where it was, but everything was wet, and the beavers were out there building new dams to fix it. Gotta love beavers. Thanks for sharing that. Totally understandable though.

While knowing it's a reply from a forum member might make you feel warm & fuzzy, the quantity of those personal responses you get here will pale in comparison to the quantity and quality of the data contained in either the Amtrak website or this one: https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/home.php This later one has the advantage of being able to find early/late data for any of the stations along the route and for any of its departure days (of the week). IMHO this cold hard data is much more meaningful than any you'll get in this thread - but that's just me. :)

Cheers
After I posted, I did find his site. What a lot of work he must have done to get all that data together. So.... the bad news. This past Wednesday the Eagle got to Austin an hour and a half late late. On Thursday it was an hour late. I didn't see what the reason was.

With Amtrak, it's really best to just plan on being a bit late and go with it. I never make plans within a couple of hours of my arrival, and I only make same-day flight connections if it's a regional train. Even then, I still give myself a healthy window of time.

I have been lucky compared to most. The SWC was four hours late into ABQ once, so we missed dinner with family, but we were still able to enjoy the week with them. It didn't ruin our trip.

I was supposed to take the TE back to Chicago after that business trip I mentioned, but an ice storm shut everything down, including the trains. I managed to get a flight home the following evening. That was a freak occurrence, though.

I have traveled the Texas Eagle for years since the 1980's. There have been times we were early and times we were late. The latest we were late were the result of flooding, slow orders over weak areas from the rains, etc. We have been late due to a very crowed train, so many getting on and off. Generally, I think the TE has been close to on time or even early. There are never any guarantees when you travel Rain, Air, or driving, so why not sit back and relax on Amtrak verses cramped seats flying, or stressed behind the wheel.

When I lived in that area of the world [2007-2012] I took the TE fairly often, especially AUS-DAL and then SAS -DAL. Sometimes it got me back to SAS later than I would like but rarely. Most of the time it was early. It always got me to FTW or DAL in time to do whatever it was I wanted to do that night. I think I was bustituted twice in those 5 yrs of regular riding due, as mentioned above, to flooding.

Took it a couple years ago CHI-DAL and was like 90mins-2hrs late. Good food service (not sure if Amtrak have since changed this line to gas station microwave food). Felt like we were going to capsize overnight tracks were so rough after St. Louis in the pitch black. But, overall, enjoyed the trip.

I live in Austin and the Eagle is my home train,I have been riding it since the 50s when MO -PAC ran it.Its an overall under appreciated LD Route by most folks, I think you'll like it!

TO follow up on Sarahs post,today's normal consist of the Eagle on Non-#421 days from CHI-AUS will be 1 P-42,1 Bag Car,1 Transdorm (Crew Sleeper),#21 Revenue Sleeper,Diner (CCC),Sightseer Lounge and 2-3 Coaches,depending on the time of year and the passenger load.

You may have a Roomette in the Transdorm if the #21 Sleeper is Sold out.

On #421 Days (three times a week) the #21 Sleeper will be the Cutout Sleeper for California when it reaches San Antonio, and you will probably be in the Transdorm.. Usually the #21 Sleeper is cheaper than the #421 Thru Sleeper.

As for the scenery, most of the good stuff on the Southbound is in the dark (Missouri and Northern Arkansas) but from Texarkana thru the East Texas Piney Woods,Dallas,Ft.Worth to Austin there is interesting scenery and towns. It will be light if the train is close to on time which it usually is!

You will have Dinner served between Chicago and St. Louis, Breakfast in East Texas, Lunch between Dallas and Ft Worth, and an Early Supper ( 5PM First call with Austin being Last Call in tbe CCC).

There are several really good crews on this route with only a couple of jetks and easy riders, hopefully youll get one of the good crews.The Conductors from Marshall to San Antonio are especially friendly and helpful.

Weird. Every time I have reserved, the 421/422 sleeper was always cheaper that the 21/22 sleeper.

I also thought the full sleeper was on the rear full time now. Is that not the case?

I live in Austin and the Eagle is my home train,I have been riding it since the 50s when MO -PAC ran it.Its an overall under appreciated LD Route by most folks, I think you'll like it!

TO follow up on Sarahs post,today's normal consist of the Eagle on Non-#421 days from CHI-AUS will be 1 P-42,1 Bag Car,1 Transdorm (Crew Sleeper),#21 Revenue Sleeper,Diner (CCC),Sightseer Lounge and 2-3 Coaches,depending on the time of year and the passenger load.

You may have a Roomette in the Transdorm if the #21 Sleeper is Sold out.

On #421 Days (three times a week) the #21 Sleeper will be the Cutout Sleeper for California when it reaches San Antonio, and you will probably be in the Transdorm.. Usually the #21 Sleeper is cheaper than the #421 Thru Sleeper.

As for the scenery, most of the good stuff on the Southbound is in the dark (Missouri and Northern Arkansas) but from Texarkana thru the East Texas Piney Woods,Dallas,Ft.Worth to Austin there is interesting scenery and towns. It will be light if the train is close to on time which it usually is!

You will have Dinner served between Chicago and St. Louis, Breakfast in East Texas, Lunch between Dallas and Ft Worth, and an Early Supper ( 5PM First call with Austin being Last Call in tbe CCC).

There are several really good crews on this route with only a couple of jetks and easy riders, hopefully youll get one of the good crews.The Conductors from Marshall to San Antonio are especially friendly and helpful.
Thanks so much for the guided tour :) Love it. What's an easy rider?

I hope I get a good crew too, that can make or break a trip. In general I have found Amtrak employees to be wonderful. The only ones that have been meh are some of the sleeper attendants and dining car servers.

Sad about the scenery. That's part of the reason I've never gone to Washington, D.C. from Chicago. It's basically in the dark both ways.

Sad about the scenery. That's part of the reason I've never gone to Washington, D.C. from Chicago. It's basically in the dark both ways.
Oh, not at all.

If you travel on the Cardinal eastbound to D.C, you get to see the gorgeous Appalachian scenery on the second day. I'm taking that trip later this year.

If you travel on the Capitol Limited back to Chicago, the scenery is breathtaking on the first day, especially coming into Harpers Ferry, WV. I loved that trip and would repeat it.

The trick is to book the Cardinal east and the Capitol Limited west. :)

Took it a couple years ago CHI-DAL and was like 90mins-2hrs late. Good food service (not sure if Amtrak have since changed this line to gas station microwave food). Felt like we were going to capsize overnight tracks were so rough after St. Louis in the pitch black. But, overall, enjoyed the trip.
*Ears perk up*. Good food? Yay! Gas station microwave food is why I go on Yelp to find restaurants that sound good and will deliver to the train. I order the food an hour before the train is expected to be there. There really aren't any long stops on this train:(, I may not be able to do it.

Oh, not at all.

If you travel on the Cardinal eastbound to D.C, you get to see the gorgeous Appalachian scenery on the second day. I'm taking that trip later this year.

If you travel on the Capitol Limited back to Chicago, the scenery is breathtaking on the first day, especially coming into Harpers Ferry, WV. I loved that trip and would repeat it.

The trick is to book the Cardinal east and the Capitol Limited west. :)
Thanks! That sounds great. I must have looked at the wrong trains. I usually travel alone, and don't often get a sleeper.

Thanks! That sounds great. I must have looked at the wrong trains. I usually travel alone, and don't often get a sleeper.
It's all about timing and direction. :)

For example, I missed a lot of scenery on the Empire Builder because I traveled west during March. It was dark by the time we got to the Mississippi and dark all the way through Glacier National Park and 90% of the Cascades. Next time, I'll travel east and try to pick a month with more daylight.

With Amtrak, it's really best to just plan on being a bit late and go with it. I never make plans within a couple of hours of my arrival, and I only make same-day flight connections if it's a regional train. Even then, I still give myself a healthy window of time.

I have been lucky compared to most. The SWC was four hours late into ABQ once, so we missed dinner with family, but we were still able to enjoy the week with them. It didn't ruin our trip.

I was supposed to take the TE back to Chicago after that business trip I mentioned, but an ice storm shut everything down, including the trains. I managed to get a flight home the following evening. That was a freak occurrence, though.
Funny you mentioned the SWC being late. Last time I took it, I went to Kansas City to visit my high school sweetie (and his wife, darn it). Then on to Albuquerque to see a cousin. I like to have people destinations. It was 13 hours late to Kansas City if I remember right. I had to leave after one day instead of the two I was planning on. Then going from Kansas City to Albuquerque it was way late again so I only got one day there instead of two :(

It's all about timing and direction. :)

For example, I missed a lot of scenery on the Empire Builder because I traveled west during March. It was dark by the time we got to the Mississippi and dark all the way through Glacier National Park and 90% of the Cascades. Next time, I'll travel east and try to pick a month with more daylight.
I hear you on that. My sister and I took the California Zephyr back to Chicago from Emeryville. I was really excited for her to see the Rockies. It ended up being night time when we got there :(

I only took the Empire Builder once, but I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe because I stayed in Glacier National Park for a night; it was really pretty. But from Seattle to there, and Glacier to Chicago, I don't know, it was just okay.

I will admit that, apart from the canceled TE (which was the host railroad's decision), I have gotten VERY lucky with long-distance trips on Amtrak.

When I was on the EB, we were 40 minutes early into Seattle, even though we traveled during the Daylight Saving time change and should have lost an hour. Even the crew mentioned how completely unexpected that was. They were dancing and high-fiving as we pulled into the station. :)

There is a lot to see on the TE. Leaving SAS up to FTW the train follows the fault line that separates the Hill Country and the flatter rolling hills to the coastal plain on the Gulf. Austin is the state capitol of Texas, with crossing Town Lake as you enter. The Texas Ranching is what you get to see to the metro of FTW. Dallas, another major metro area where the train goes through downtown. Now the train heads east to the East Texas landscape thick with trees. Arkansas is in the dark both ways, but the train passes another State Capitol in Little Rock. St.Louis, you have the Gateway Arch, the Ball Pack, the Mississippi River, and the city of St.Louis (either morning north bound or evening south bound). Illinois is next, farming flat plains. Springfield is the third state capitol. Between Springfield and Jolliet, the track parallels I-55, so it is a race track between cars and train. Overall, the route has a constant changing landscape whether on 21/22 or 421/422.

I took the TE from Chicago to Palm Springs (PSN) over Thanksgiving weekend (leaving CHI on Sunday). I was very surprised by the large number of people that had booked roomettes from CHI-STL. The train was oversold in coach and passengers were being seated in the SSL. So, I could defiantly see the advantage of booking a roomette just for a couple of hours.

The TE was never on my short list of routes to take, but I'm glad it did. I was a bit concerned that I would be bothered by the long layover and cars being switched in SAS. Turned out to be not an issue. I went to bed as soon as we arrived in SAS and only woke up once, when the cars were being coupled. I also thought I would be bothered with the diner being 5 cars forward from the TE sleeper (after being joined with the SL). Again, not an issue.

For me coming from Virginia, I found traveling thru this part of the country to be very interesting.

A big thanks to my wife and daughter for picking me up at 2:40 AM in PSN! They are wimps and flew out ahead of me.

These are the resources I use to prepare for any trip by rail - so I know what to look for and where:

• Amtrak Route Guide: https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides

• Google Earth: https://www.google.com/earth/

• Topographic maps: http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm?

• FRA Map: http://fragis.fra.dot.gov/GISFRASafety/ This one is invaluable as it shows the normal routes taken by Amtrak - which is sometimes really difficult to find in urban areas with many other train tracks. It also gives the names of most of the places along the route which might otherwise go unnoticed - such as the remnants of ghost towns (the info is usually found by a Google search and the Wikipedia link).

• YouTube Videos: even though some of them are badly done.

Back