Zephyr #6 of 2/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Didn't see anything on this, so apologize if there's already a thread, but does anyone know why the Status map is showing the #6 that left EMY on 2/14 is running over 9 hours behind? Looks like it got into Granby, CO only 52 minutes late and arrived in Winter Park (a 38 minute trip, according to the timetable book) 9 hours 25 minutes late! What happened in that 11 mile stretch?

According to this, a troubled Union Pacific freight blocked the Zephyr's path through Fraser Canyon.

I find it unfortunate that Amtrak doesn't post/publish the reasons for delays on their website, facebook page, twitter feed or other. As a passenger I find it unsettling to sit in an idle train - or even worse sitting in an un-manned station waiting for a train that is hours late. Knowing the reason can make the situation far more understandable and relaxing. I realize it won't make things move any faster, but knowing can be re-assuring.

The only routes I notice outside of the NEC with status updates are the Amtrak Cascades, San Joaquin, and Pacific Surfliner. Those Twitter Pages are maintained and updated by Amtrak Oakland Operations. I can't say they are always updated either but they do give at least a general reason if there is a delay (i.e. Signal Problems, Mechanical Issue, etc...)

Here's #6 stopping and departing from Ottumwa, Iowa nine hours and one minute late. You can hear someone (the conductor maybe, I'm not sure how to tell) saying to double check that the people boarding have tickets for #6 since #5 is scheduled to arrive in less than an hour.

Also, I think a bulb needs changed on the sleeper on the end.

I rode that equipment (with the AMTK 142 on the lead) into EMY on 13 Feb. The access door to the car number sign on the last sleeper (the one with the end bulb burned out) was jammed, so the car number read 0632, instead of the correct 0532. The SCA said at least the car would be correct for the eastbound journey. Too bad his trip was extended for at least 9 additional hours.

Thanks, I was wondering if the 2/15 train was gonna catch the 2/14. One of my FB friends was on the 2/15 and hoping for delays. Of course we take sleepers, and on the final portion of the trip where connections don't matter, we like delays (sorry to all coach pax), it's about the journey, not the destination. Apparently one pax on the 14th train boarded at Granby for Denver and they wouldn't let her off. A two hour trip turned into 9. Why not give passengers the option of finding alternative transportation? Apparently, the train never pulled out of the station till it was finally on its way. Is it that they didn't know how long the delay would take? Just curious, not that it really matters, though who knows, maybe it will in the future.

Here's #6 stopping and departing from Ottumwa, Iowa nine hours and one minute late. You can hear someone (the conductor maybe, I'm not sure how to tell) saying to double check that the people boarding have tickets for #6 since #5 is scheduled to arrive in less than an hour.

Nice catch! :D

Will be on the Zephyr eastbound from Denver Thursday evening. I realize the chances are slim (tell me they're slim), but what if we have a repeat of this event? What is Amtrak's obligation to its sleeper passengers, actually all of its passengers, if there is a lengthy delay? Meal(s), lodging, or is it every person for him/herself while they string you along like that other form of transportation has been known to do?

Will be on the Zephyr eastbound from Denver Thursday evening. I realize the chances are slim (tell me they're slim), but what if we have a repeat of this event? What is Amtrak's obligation to its sleeper passengers, actually all of its passengers, if there is a lengthy delay? Meal(s), lodging, or is it every person for him/herself while they string you along like that other form of transportation has been known to do?
Relax, Amtrak will take Good Care of you, they have the Missed Connection Program Down to a Science in CHI! ;) So if there's a LD Train that is Very Late into CHI with Continuing Passengers Missing their Connections they Will, Depending on the Circumstances, will Either be Transported via Bus or Van to Chase and Board your Missed Train, Placed on Another Train if Available or Given Money for a Taxi, for Meals and they will have Hotel Reservations made in a Good to Excellent Hotel in CHI on their Nickel until you Can be Reaccomodated on a Train that will get you to your Destination!

Well, Jim, that is reassuring if I miss my connection in CHI to the Capitol Limited. My departure from Denver would be my real concern due to my circumstance of living a considerable distance from Denver. In order to make an on-time departure from Denver, I have to travel about 90 minutes by car. If the Zephyr is delayed (as the one on the 14th/15th was) just west of Denver, I will have already departed home and may only find out about the delay upon arrival at Union Station. So, if I'm facing hours waiting in Denver, what then? Do the same "Missed Connection Program" principles apply? You can tell I am not experienced at this, and the trip is definitely all about the journey and not the destination. So I'm not necessarily concerned about delays along the way as much as I am about a possible delay before I even get under way. Also, is there a first-class lounge in Denver?

No Lounge in the "Temporary" Amshak in Denver! (Which is across a Busy Street from the Platform where the Train stops! :blink: )

You can Track (no Pun intended) Amtrak Trains on 1-800-USA-RAIL (Julie) or Online. The Temp Station in Denver has vending Machines, Clean Restrooms and Semi-Comfortable Chairs and is Staffed so its not a Bad Place to Wait for your Train! Theres not much except some Condos and coors Field around the Station but it's not that far (IF the weather is Nice) to walk over by Union Station which is undergoing a Complete Rennovation and being turned into a Real Inter-Model Station!

The Western Trains usually can "Make-Up" Time once out of the Mountains unless they are Extremely Late, and you should be able to have this Info Available Before you Leave Home!(Id say by Grand junction which is about 4 Hours from Denver!)

I wouldnt worry too much, you may want to take some Snacks and Drinks with you to the Station in Denver for the Wait and kick Back and Relax and Leave the Driving to Amtrak! ;)

When a train is stuck for hours at a station, are the passengers allowed to disembark and wander around the area during the delay?
Usually, yes. Especially if the conductor knows that the train will be in the station for a significant amount of time.

Having disembarked from and boarded the eastbound CD (#6) at Granby before, I'd say that a half hour or so would be enough time to see everything in town.

When a train is stuck for hours at a station, are the passengers allowed to disembark and wander around the area during the delay?
Usually, yes. Especially if the conductor knows that the train will be in the station for a significant amount of time.

Having disembarked from and boarded the eastbound CD (#6) at Granby before, I'd say that a half hour or so would be enough time to see everything in town.
Ah yes, but consider the smokers:)

When it's freight train problems as described on trainorders.com, a repeat within a few days is unlikely.

Thanks, I was wondering if the 2/15 train was gonna catch the 2/14. One of my FB friends was on the 2/15 and hoping for delays. Of course we take sleepers, and on the final portion of the trip where connections don't matter, we like delays (sorry to all coach pax), it's about the journey, not the destination. Apparently one pax on the 14th train boarded at Granby for Denver and they wouldn't let her off. A two hour trip turned into 9. Why not give passengers the option of finding alternative transportation? Apparently, the train never pulled out of the station till it was finally on its way. Is it that they didn't know how long the delay would take? Just curious, not that it really matters, though who knows, maybe it will in the future.
Finding alternate transportation to Denver from Granby can be pretty remote, unless you just happen to hook up with someone who is skiing at the nearby slope (called Solvista Basin) for a ride back to Denver. Problem is that the resort is EAST of Granby Amtrak station, and so skiers would probably not be aware that the train is stuck a few miles west in the Granby station, awaiting clearance of a freight train disabled in Fraser Canyon.

I'm guessing that the Amtrak crew had no exact idea from the UP dispatcher just how long the delay would be, other than "a while", and maybe "a long while".

It is good that the train remained in Granby station during the delay -- if evacuation was ultimately needed, it could be effected there quite easily. While in Fraser Canyon, there is no easy access to the tracks, as the road (US-40) is on the opposite side of the river canyon.

Finding alternate transportation to Denver from Granby can be pretty remote, unless you just happen to hook up with someone who is skiing at the nearby slope (called Solvista Basin) for a ride back to Denver. Problem is that the resort is EAST of Granby Amtrak station, and so skiers would probably not be aware that the train is stuck a few miles west in the Granby station, awaiting clearance of a freight train disabled in Fraser Canyon.

I'm guessing that the Amtrak crew had no exact idea from the UP dispatcher just how long the delay would be, other than "a while", and maybe "a long while".

It is good that the train remained in Granby station during the delay -- if evacuation was ultimately needed, it could be effected there quite easily. While in Fraser Canyon, there is no easy access to the tracks, as the road (US-40) is on the opposite side of the river canyon.
This brings up another question. A lady on FB said she was on the delayed train, actually boarded at Granby, headed for Denver (2 hour trip). She wished that they had the option to detrain, take a travel voucher, and find alternative travel; but it was never offered. Someone asked her, on FB, if she asked to detrain and she said no. The reason she didn't ask was because she heard someone else ask, and they were told it was a federal offense to get off the train without permission.

Of course one problem is, in a case like this it's hard to tell how long the delay will be. Seems to me that they could have asked the car attendant or conductor for permission. Is there some sort of federal law about detraining w/o permission? Obviously, if it comes time for the train to depart people need to be on board...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back