Zephyr > Cap limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have roomette reservations on the Zepher from SAC to CHI and connectioning with the Cap Limited (roomette) on to WAS DC. There is 4+ hrs layover, but the 6 runs late often. What is the usual scenario if I miss the connection with the Cap.

Depends. I was put up in a hotel and out on the next day's train. But my final destination was Florida. I think some of my fellow passengers that were only going as far as DC were put on the Lake Shore Ltd to NYC and then on a regional to DC.

As Steve noted, if your train makes it in time to connect with the LSL, you would likely take it to NYP. But there is no guarantee that you will have a sleeper on the LSL and could be forced to ride coach on that route. And of course, you would be in coach on the regional train down to DC. It could be a very late arrival into DC since with recent delays on the LSL around Albany, your train may arrive in NYP quite late in the evening.

We are doing that same route in two weeks but are only going as far as CLE on the CL. Thus either train would work for us to get home and a coach ride that distance is much more bearable. Let's hope for both of us that the CZ starts running near ontime and a Chicago arrival will not be as stressful. :)

The other option for Amtrak is to put you up in a hotel in Chicago and take the next day's CL. Of course, there is still no guarantee of a sleeper on the CL if none are available.

When you get to Galesburg, IL they have also been known to bus you to Toledo to make a connection with the CL.

So, as JimH often says. YMMV.

I'm currently on the Zephyr en route to Florida. I'm hoping for a proper

connection to #97 in WAS. I didn't realize the bus connection o Toledo

was an option. I prefer to sleep in a sleeper car and not on a bus.

Thanks, you've brought up a couple of options I hadn't thought of. I was thinking about modifying my trip and add a day to the CL Departure, but it would create a pricy overnight in CHI so I guess I'll just Leave it alone and see how it all shakes out. Might be interesting, but not looking forward to a long coach ride.

All the trains East leave after the Zephyr arrives. Cardinal (3 day) - Capitol Limited- Lake Shore Limited. If you miss the earlier connection you will be given a seat on the next later train. If you miss the final train out (LSL) you will probably be given an overnight stay BUT if you have a sleeper, be prepared to travel East in a coach seat. If you are a traveling in a sleeper it is a terrible option to be downgraded like that. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back