Zephyr Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linda T

We're planning on bringing the Zephyr home from Sacramento to Chicago, and need to catch the Cardinal. We're using Guest Reward points, and I've just been reading the on-time performance of the Zephyr. In the last 14 days she would have missed her connection with the Cardinal 7 times. Well, I guess the Card wasn't running, so who really complained the connection in Chicago? However, now she is I'm somewhat concerned. I know if we miss our connection (if we're near enough) Amtrak may try to bus us to her next stop, if not they'll put us up for the night or whatever. However, I have to wonder, we're not guaranteed the bedroom on the next day's train (I would assume). If I was paying with money I would expect to get reimbursed the difference of a bedroom and a coach from Chicago to Cincinnati, can you get any points back? I mean it's still the same zone, but I was just wondering... It doesn't look like it matters that I got back on the Card and cancelled the Cap Lmt'd, the latter only leaves a few minutes later.

It looks like the SWC is pretty good about getting to LAX for my 2 hour connection (I know things can always happen, but...), now I have to worry about this. So much for easy, carefree traveling. :-(

We're planning on bringing the Zephyr home from Sacramento to Chicago, and need to catch the Cardinal. We're using Guest Reward points, and I've just been reading the on-time performance of the Zephyr. In the last 14 days she would have missed her connection with the Cardinal 7 times. Well, I guess the Card wasn't running, so who really complained the connection in Chicago? However, now she is I'm somewhat concerned. I know if we miss our connection (if we're near enough) Amtrak may try to bus us to her next stop, if not they'll put us up for the night or whatever. However, I have to wonder, we're not guaranteed the bedroom on the next day's train (I would assume). If I was paying with money I would expect to get reimbursed the difference of a bedroom and a coach from Chicago to Cincinnati, can you get any points back? I mean it's still the same zone, but I was just wondering... It doesn't look like it matters that I got back on the Card and cancelled the Cap Lmt'd, the latter only leaves a few minutes later.

It looks like the SWC is pretty good about getting to LAX for my 2 hour connection (I know things can always happen, but...), now I have to worry about this. So much for easy, carefree traveling. :-(
Remember the Cardinal only runs Three Days a Week so chances are if you miss your connection youll be put on the Cap Ltd (which has its own delay issues due to Trackwork between PGH and WAS) or the Lake Shore Ltd. which is the Catch up Train for all Late western trains! As you said, Roomettes and Bedrooms are dear on these Sold Out/Full Trains so may Luck be with you, the Flooding can't last forever in the Midwest! :help:

As to points/refunds: in the case of cancelled trains, when the Award is the same as the original Trip (ie two Zone, say SAC-CHI/CHI-CIN, your Award)) the points used are the same, there will be no point refund; HOWEVER Customer Relations is now handling these situations and you will probably be sent a Voucher for your cancelled Transportation/Trouble including loss of Rooms/Meals or whatever! If you spend the night in CHI Amtrak will pay for the Hotel/Taxi and give you $$ to eat on! They are Very experienced doing this in CHI, it's a regular occurence and has been for years with the Western Trains running Late!

Last edited by a moderator:
and you will probably be sent a Voucher for your cancelled Transportation/Trouble including loss of Rooms/Meals or whatever! If you spend the night in CHI Amtrak will pay for the Hotel/Taxi and give you $$ to eat on! They are Very experienced doing this in CHI, it's a regular occurence and has been for years with the Western Trains running Late!
My husband said I posted the least important question. He'd like to know since it's posted that delays are possible, does that cancel out the guaranteed connection, thus Amtrak no longer has responsibility for the passengers? Amtrak said only if they call and tell me a connection is no longer guaranteed, which they have not done yet, but I don't trust them like I do the members of this forum. It didn't occur to me when I first posted this that the Card only runs every other day. So if we opted to wait and take coach back to Cincy in two days, does Amtrak ever pay for two days layover, or would day two be up to us? We have some hotel points that are capable of being cancelled/points returned. I'm just trying to decide whether or not we should consider getting a room for the second night and then cancelling from the train if we're gonna be on time. I'm just trying to figure out the worse case scenario. The longest trip we've taken by train is from Huntington WV to Tuscaloosa AL, and out layover at Charlottsville was ample for most any situation.

Taking the Cap Lmtd is not an option for us as our car will be in HUN.

and you will probably be sent a Voucher for your cancelled Transportation/Trouble including loss of Rooms/Meals or whatever! If you spend the night in CHI Amtrak will pay for the Hotel/Taxi and give you $$ to eat on! They are Very experienced doing this in CHI, it's a regular occurence and has been for years with the Western Trains running Late!
My husband said I posted the least important question. He'd like to know since it's posted that delays are possible, does that cancel out the guaranteed connection, thus Amtrak no longer has responsibility for the passengers? Amtrak said only if they call and tell me a connection is no longer guaranteed, which they have not done yet, but I don't trust them like I do the members of this forum. It didn't occur to me when I first posted this that the Card only runs every other day. So if we opted to wait and take coach back to Cincy in two days, does Amtrak ever pay for two days layover, or would day two be up to us? We have some hotel points that are capable of being cancelled/points returned. I'm just trying to decide whether or not we should consider getting a room for the second night and then cancelling from the train if we're gonna be on time. I'm just trying to figure out the worse case scenario. The longest trip we've taken by train is from Huntington WV to Tuscaloosa AL, and out layover at Charlottsville was ample for most any situation.

Taking the Cap Lmtd is not an option for us as our car will be in HUN.
Your connection is "Guaranteed" in CHI which means Amtrak is obligated to get you to your ticketed destitnation by hook or crook! If the Zephyr isn't running too late (be sure and let your SCA and Conductor know you have a cardinal connection in CHI by, say Iowa!) Id guess you would be bustituted and catch up with the Cardinal down the line, chan ces are you won't be the only one with connections in CHI! If it's really late then Amtrak would either put you up for two nights with meals and Transportation, rebook you on the Card on the next day it runs! (sleepers probably would NOT be available/this Trains sells out most days it runs, only one sleeper!) :(

If you cancel, your Award Trip is over and you would have to either pay for a ticket to Cinnci or use more points for the next leg two days later! Id call 1-800-USA-RAIL/punch 0, and talk with a Customer Relations Rep, they are pros and will give you good info, this isnt always true with regular Amtrak or AGR agents IME! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back