10-for-10, cost of ticket question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayman

Engineer
In December, I rode LAX-FNO and back utilizing the Amtrak California bus LAX-BFD and San Joaquin BFD-FNO. The tickets printed showing $0 on the bus legs and $49 on the northbound SJ train, $40 on the southbound SJ train -- I have the stubs showing this. But AGR claims (on their website) that the northbound SJ ticket was "$26" and the southbound SJ ticket was "$21". AGR is assigning the values differently than Amtrak, basically. Is there any way to argue that the face value of the two San Joaquin tickets should be the value recorded by AGR? It's the difference between making 10-for-10 and not, and given that every indicator I had at the time of booking and printing the tickets suggested I was holding $40 tickets, I'll be pretty upset if these legs don't count :(

Are you questioning the morals/ethics of AGR??

Seems like they do need a reminder of the difference between right and wrong.

I have had good luckk just calling and talking to AGR in these instances. They usually require you to fax or mail in a copy of your stub.( or maybe the originals it has been awhile, make/keep copies of the orignls.) I also got lucky by talking to a supervisor right away, who knew exactly what to do. When it was all said and done I ended up with alot more points than I was missing. When I called back and told her her I was overcredited,she said happy birthday is there anything else I can help you with? :blink: :blink: I said thanks and hung up quik :giggle: This was last year during the spring triple points promo, and they had messed up on my travel dates. the stub supercedes whatever they see on their 'puter

Alas, what Amtrak shows on the stubs is not what shows in the computer and it is not the actual value of the tickets. Amtrak has always shown the value of the total trip on the first ticket with a zero value on the second ticket, this despite the fact that the computer actually tracks the true value of each ticket. Had you cancelled one part of the trip, you would be entitled to the partial refund based upon those values in the computer.

And it is those values in the computer that AGR uses to determine what you actually spent on that ticket. So I'm afraid that you are most likely out of luck, unless you get some very sympathetic agent on the phone who is willing to override things. And I think that unlikely.

So what you're saying Alan is that (and these are not actual fares) a trip from HFD to HAR would not count, even if it costs $60, because HFD-NHV would be $15, NHV-PHL would be $30 and PHL-HAR would be $15?
huh.gif

How about a trip from BOS to BUF (via NYP) that costs $90. Say BOS-NYP is $49 and NYP-BUF is $41 - would that count at 2 trips on the "10 for 10"?
huh.gif

So what you're saying Alan is that (and these are not actual fares) a trip from HFD to HAR would not count, even if it costs $60, because HFD-NHV would be $15, NHV-PHL would be $30 and PHL-HAR would be $15?
huh.gif
Correct; that would not count.

How about a trip from BOS to BUF (via NYP) that costs $90. Say BOS-NYP is $49 and NYP-BUF is $41 - would that count at 2 trips on the "10 for 10"?
huh.gif
That however would count as two trips towards the 10 for 10. However, if things changed even slightly say $51 and $39, then you'd only get credit for 1 trip towards the 10 for 10.

Back