14(22) Mechanical Issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a nice quick chat with Surfgeek on the platform at SJC where it's chilly. He says he thinks 2 of the 5 PPCs are bad ordered, so I lucked out. It's surprisingly empty though.

Hey, only down 2 hours 13 minutes, not too shabby! Charlie was on the platform (only to escape from The Grinch, I think) and got to see my festive holiday hat...here's hoping the ride south stays smooth, the Parlour is well-stocked, and The Grinch stays in his room!

Hey, only down 2 hours 13 minutes, not too shabby! Charlie was on the platform (only to escape from The Grinch, I think) and got to see my festive holiday hat...
Darn, I forgot to take a picture of the hat!

here's hoping the ride south stays smooth, the Parlour is well-stocked, and The Grinch stays in his room!
Well, two out of three ain't bad...

Pending any additional delays, you should be able to make up at least another 45 minutes between SBA and LAX as the train will be discharging only and there is a lot of schedule padding. Plus no Metrolink lingering traffic in the area on the Holiday.

I'd go out on a limb and venture that you should hopefully make it into LAX around 10pm. With a 10:10pm departure on train 796 you should just make it!

Then again if it is that close they will generally hold train 796 until all the connecting passengers make it on board. As was the case yesterday when train 14 arrived into LAX at 10:06pm. Train 796 departed at 10:21pm, 11 minutes late. That train departed SLO at 5:09pm. With your 5:17pm departure you should arrive to LAX (hopefully) within that same 10pm window tonight. After all is said and done leaving SEA almost 4.5 hours down, if you arrive into LAX just about an hour down I'd say that was a pretty good trip :)

Glad you made it! I've found if it is that close they do try to set it up nicely for connecting passengers which helps passengers make the transfer and also minimizes the delay for those already on board holding for the connection. Overall sounds like Amtrak really pulled through on this one... all this started with the mechanical failure on the 22nd... just amazing to think how it all ties together... and how Amtrak pulled it together so you made your connection on the 25th :)

They really did go the extra mile, so to speak. The OBS crew even managed to deal with a difficult passenger very professionally. An EMT who was a passenger thought that he may be descending into Alzheimer's. All in all, they deserved the extra tips I gave them, and I hope they sleep well with their families tonight.

Nice. Also nice to hear the end of a tale: we always reassure pax that they'll either make the connection in LA or "Amtrak will make alternate arrangements" but I never really know how it works out. "Well" is the answer, thanks CHamilton! Nice to meet you, too!

Charlie, Seems like you've had a little bit of a wildcard trip. But I think we've all had one or two in our lives. I think that Cross Platform transfer might have been your best friend. If Amtrak could do that more often I think life would be less stressful.

Hope you enjoy San Diego!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the cross-platform transfer was helpful. I made sure to thank the conductor on 796 for waiting for us. Not sure who makes those sorts of decisions, but every minute made a difference.

Just returned on the 14 today... the AMTK150, covered with snow, was still sitting out on a siding on the pass. Rumor was a UP freight was scheduled to bring it out today after we passed. Unsure what destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back