19,000kms zig-zagging across the USA and Canada, April/May 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My terrible libel on Chicago.

When making the bed up a few mins ago, I had to move my hat from the shelf.

Under it was my GPS.

How embarassment!

My apologies to our friends in Chicago, Amtrak, the Metropolitan Lounge, and anyone here who thought I was a done-over guest.

I was not. What I was, was a klutz.

My apologies again.

And I am complete again :)

A6930CE6-6185-4C15-AA58-EB0B4B4A2DCD.jpeg

Very happy to hear you found your GPS...

Using the "old school" paper maps is one solution, but since you still had your phone, you could have used it as a pretty good stand-in for a GPS.

I used to carry a bunch of "geek-gear", I believed you described it as, but since I acquired my i-phone plus, I find it more than sufficient to use it and ditch a camera, laptop, GPS, etc.

A lot less to carry and worry about...
default_wink.png

Let me tell you, I am the king (no, emperor) of misplacing crap and accusing other people of theft. I do it like once a week. And out of all the places to assume theft, an unstaffed lounge accessed by dozens of strangers is a pretty reasonable one.

Glad you found your GPS. I would be beside myself if I had lost something like that...

I’ve now posted Amtrak, as well as my Oz insurer, to make a mea culpa.

I am a goose...

CHI to PDX Train #27 (Part One) 7 May

Pre-boarding

I bought a 24hr Ventra day ticket on arrival in Chicago yesterday afternoon, so I thought I would do a long-rails warm-up on short rails. I had downloaded the Ventra app and familiarised myself with how things run. I had navigated my way to my previous night’s hotel by feel, but thought I’d have a go at a more strategic approach this time.

I knew I had to be back at the station for the 1415h departure, and my ticket would not die before then, so my only consideration was being back in the Metro Lounge with my stored bags reclaimed by around 1330h.

I figured that gave me a bit of leeway, and didn’t require me to compete with anyone in the Monday morning rush.

I had another chance to look at the Legs, this time lit from the opposite side, to see whether they were more photogenic that way.

After that, it was just a short walk to Roosevelt station and to play train roulette - get on whichever arrived first, going north into the CBD.

The previous evening, as I exited Roosevelt station, I sought assistance at the barrier from a station official. Recognising I was a stranger to the area, he seemed most solicitous that I knew where I was and where I was going. I thought that was a nice touch in a big city, and another point in favour of Chicago in my mind.

A Quick Visit to CHI station

I thought I should reclaim my bags and ditch some of my overnight stuff to lighten the load for my morning exploration of the L.

I went to a quiet corner of the Metro Lounge I had spotted on my previous visit, and saw one of the seats was occupied by a graceful elderly woman who had likewise found this haven. I said G’day but otherwise was inclined to leave her taking the moment positioning yourself in that corner indicates is your preference.

But after a few minutes she decided to engage, and in the first few sentences she guessed I was an Aussie. Her name was Connie, and she was taking a break in Chicago between her Mississippi home and a visit to her grandchildren farther east.

She told me she is very keen on Oz animal docos, identifying my accent by those means, and so I figured she should have one of my kangaroo pins. She was happy to receive it.

I told her that I intended to ride the L and hoped we might still bump into each other on my return.

The L

I’d heard about the L, or ‘el’ as I remember it being recorded in some of the books I read, set in places where they had an elevated railway rather than a subway or underground or tube system. The idea seemed fabulous to me - a railway on stilts, that you had to climb stairs to reach, and which looked into the windows of buildings’ upper floors!

Yesterday’s short run was now going to be much less restrained.

I went around the loop a few times, changing trains at the well-signposted stations. I reckon it’s possible to do a fair bit on just one ticket, for $2.50 I think it is - you just have to be careful your route doesn’t require you to exit the system.

When exploring, I usually operate on the basis that if you are not going anywhere in particular, you are never lost, and I employed that tactic here. I know for sure I was on the Brown, Red, Pink, Orange, Blue, and Green lines. Perhaps I visited another colour - I forget. Maybe I got a bit of them all.

I had just caught the end of the rush hour, so the first few trains were eight-car beasts. The later trains were mostly four cars. I thought I’d have a go at the red line, and discovered it took me out an exit and into another ticketed entrance, but my ten dollar ticket from the previous day was still valid, so I was unconcerned.

That one turned out to be a subway, so I stayed on only until it emerged in Chinatown before turning around and searching out more supraway lines. They were not hard to come by.

At one transfer station, Ashland, on the northern city fringe and on the Green and the Pink lines, I spotted that the station buildings were quite ornately decorated. Their finest years were well behind them, but they were still beautiful, even in their rundown condition.

Back to Chicago Union Station

The ‘you can’t get lost’ bizzo only works one way. Eventually, you have to get to somewhere specific, and for me it was CHI station.

But everything which goes around the loop is going to get to the closest station, Quincy, and everything which doesn’t connects at a loop station with one which does, so it’s not too tough. If you can get back to a station on the loop, you can get back to CHI.

With my bags again reclaimed, an apple stolen from the buffet, I could spend a bit of time sorting out my photos of the morning, and get ready to board my last overnighter Amtrak train.

I bumped into Connie again in the Lounge as she was about to leave to catch her train, and we said our goodbyes again.

Lost and Found

I covered the story of the lost/stolen GPS, and my eventual discovery of it under my hat, so I won’t go through the embarassing detail again.

But I should make public my appreciation of SCA Michel, and Conductor Alisha (Conductor Mac) who were the right combo of concerned and efficient in how they helped me report the loss.

And to my Oz insurer as well, the time diff working in my favour on thos occasion.

So now I can fire up my wee Garmin, and we’re all set again.

Evening along the Mississippi

Conductor Mac and I had a nice chat during the reporting process, and she told me she solely does the CHI - WIN section. So I asked for her tips about what my roomette’s window might look out to.

Amongst the items was, of course, the beautiful lake at Pewaukee, and forewarning of the Mississippi crossing.

That was timed, according to the schedule, for when I would be in the diner.

The run over the riber, and then on its southern bank, is something to behold. How mighty a flow it must be to be so wide, and at the crossing, so fast-moving, many hundreds of kilometres from where it meets the sea.

At the dinner table, I was the last to join. I think the trio had already introduced themselves, but to humour me, they did so again.

I met Doris, a retired Montana cattle-rancher, who still runs her farm, but now more as an agistment concern. She ran Black Angus, and I mentioned that the breed is named after the part of Scotland I was born in. Their breed name in Scotland is Aberdeen Angus, but as I was born in the county of Angus, I’m never too worried by the contraction of its name in foreign lands like the USA and Oz.

Doris was not aware of this background, so I felt I had performed my good deed for the day.

Doris was returning home from visiting her family.

Also at the table was Ben, returning home to Whitefish, and Brian, a Canadian from Saskatoon, also on his way home.

Once Brian was aware I would sample the delights of The Canadian, he had a little laugh on account of its tardiness. I let him, and the by now astonished Ben and Doris, know I was aware of the horrendous timekeeping of that train.

Brian told us that he was vegan, and Doris solicitously asked him if he would be offended by her order of the steak. Of course Brian replied in the negative. Veganism was his personal choice, and not one he wanted to impose on the table.

We didn’t get much of a go to interrogate Ben, because waiter Peter kept joining in with a well-practiced joke every now and then. It’s a captive audience, and an ever changing one, so I’m sure he could use his material on high rotation.

Doris and Ben quickly knocked off their meals, in the manner I’ve become used to from their compatriots. Brian and I rather took more time, as befits citizens of the Commonwealth, so we had the chance for a further discussion once Ben and Doris had departed.

Brian was going to get off at whatever the handiest station it was for a seven-hour drive to Saskatoon, so I wished him a safe journey. I suspect he’ll have the sun behind him as he makes his way north, so that’ll be one hazard removed.

It was time for a shower, but as I was drying off, we pulled into St Paul Minneapolis and there was an announcement that we could have a break off the train.

I reclothed, then went up to the pointy end to see if I could get the loco numbers. I got one, the trailing loco, before a uniformed official approached me and told me I could not do such a thing, instructing me to cease and desist and return to the cars.

So I can report only that loco #173 is second-in-charge. Identifying the boss will have to await a less restrictive environment.

My terrible libel on Chicago.

When making the bed up a few mins ago, I had to move my hat from the shelf.

Under it was my GPS.

How embarassment!

My apologies to our friends in Chicago, Amtrak, the Metropolitan Lounge, and anyone here who thought I was a done-over guest.

I was not. What I was, was a klutz.

My apologies again.

And I am complete again :)

attachicon.gif
A6930CE6-6185-4C15-AA58-EB0B4B4A2DCD.jpeg
I was just wondering if your GPS had slipped into a “black hole” in your bag. Glad it showed up.

I am not a fearful traveler, and often do the same as you, buy a day pass for bus or metro, etc and just roam around. One Chicago "EL" line that I rode several years ago took me out into quite a desperate looking area, with lots of places where houses had been knocked down, and I had a growing awareness that this was not the best place to be as a tourist!

I stayed at the Chicago hostel again in 2017, and asked the desk guys there which areas were best avoided, not wanting to stumble into trouble through ignorance. I had my pocket picked in a shop on Michigan Avenue, that was not on the dodgy area list!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

Why didnt you do the Bean?! Its the best!
I reckon you are right, but when I go to new places, I generally dont look for famous things to visit.
I prefer to gather experiences and see how things are for the people who live there.
I can understand that, but Cloud Gate (the bean) and Agora (the legs) are both in Grant Park, about a block and half from each other. And I just have to say that Cloud Gate is way cooler than you'd think. It looks completely different from every angle, and as you walk around it, you feel like it's swallowing you up (in a good way). Just saying, the next time you're in Chicago, I highly recommend it.
Not to nitpick too much, but they are just over a mile as the crow flies. Grant Park is big.

I am not a fearful traveler, and often do the same as you, buy a day pass for bus or metro, etc and just roam around. One Chicago "EL" line that I rode several years ago took me out into quite a desperate looking area, with lots of places where houses had been knocked down, and I had a growing awareness that this was not the best place to be as a tourist!

I stayed at the Chicago hostel again in 2017, and asked the desk guys there which areas were best avoided, not wanting to stumble into trouble through ignorance. I had my pocket picked in a shop on Michigan Avenue, that was not on the dodgy area list!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.
Hi Ed, and you make a good point. We are often scared of the unfamiliar and different, where we overestimate the risk, but we are often more at risk amidst the familiar and same.

I don’t take foolish risks, but I don’t scare myself out of exploring somewhere different or speaking to someone who doesn’t look or dress like me.

You gotta have your smarts about you, but you don’t have to bring your fears along as well.

So I had a bit of a play with my on-line accounts and eventually worked out it was a lesser number PIN than the number of digits I use for my Oz domestic cards.
I don't understand. Do you mean that the card had a PIN with n digits, but the ATM only accepted m digits, where m is less than n? If so, did you enter the first or last m digits? Or something else? Thanks.
My apologies willem, I did not see your query until now.

I assumed my PIN contained more digits than it did. The fault was not with the ATM, but with the operator, as these things usually are.

I use travel cards which have the capacity to let me spend or extract cash as they can set them up to operate in whatever the local currency is. The cards I use domestically in Oz operate in AUD only.

The Oz ones will happily work outside Oz for purchases, but it’s hard to reconcile, as the sum appears in AUD, together with an exchange fee. And they are credit cards, whereas the others can be used either as credit or debit cards.

My Oz cards run on a PIN with more digits. That’s what I had to sit down and think about.

CHI to PDX Train #27 (Part Two)

New Friends in North Dakota

The sleeper for Portland is the last carriage on the train. I’d read that the last car was the jerkiest. For the run on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to LA, I was also in the last car and I didn’t notice much difference in the ride compared to earlier in that journey from Chicago, where it was placed earlier in the consist.

So I wondered what the issue was.

But now I know!

Maybe it was the track, but that couldn’t be the reason for some of the odd movement I was experiencing this time. It seemed to judder front to back, especially at top speed of 130kph, and whip a little more.

I understand the physics of it, as I see that when following the three-trailer trucks, called road-trains, which drive up and down the Stuart Highway, 3,000kms or so from Darwin to Port Augusta, north/south in the middle of Oz. The last trailer in the group swings wildly to the right and left of the lane by more than a car-width at a time, as the truck barrels along at 120kph, even although the prime-mover is following a steady path.

The train is on rails, so its lateral movement is restricted, but I expect the forces are equivalent.

It wasn’t something to worry about, more a point of interest. I got a decent night’s sleep regardless.

I awoke before sunrise, well into North Dakota.

I had already noticed I would miss out on awake time when travelling through Fargo, the setting in one of my favourite Coen Brothers films, and the TV series of the same name. I had seen on the map the other cities and towns mentioned in the TV series, and when I had my evening online discussion with Niki, she was disappointed as was I, that Fargo would be passed through in the dark and while I was asleep.

We were at Rugby when I regained consciousness, and so I dressed to be ready for breakfast before the PA announcement.

I was seated first, and then three young men, two of them teenagers, joined me.

Jacob, Jeremiah, and Mark were their names. The eldest was Jacob, or Jake. He was a concreter in his family’s business in Middlebury in Indiana, and a carpenter too. He had the strong hands of someone who did hard physical work for a living. He also had a very open and easy manner. It was apparent he jumped right into life.

Jeremiah was the youngest, just 14 years old. Mark was between them in age, and was moving to a new home to be with his parents who had moved their earlier. Mark was either to be a carpenter or a welder, so we discussed the merits of both. It was Jake who identified that being a welder was better during the winter, as there was a better chance of staying warm.

All were getting off at Whitefish later that evening, part of a big contingent going to a wedding.

They told me about their Amish community and were happy to field my questions about how life is for them.

There was a sizeable Amish presence on the train and it was a pleasure for me that these three members were as interested in my background as I was of theirs, and were happy to engage. I mentioned I had seen some Amish farms near Philadelphia early on my travels, and that my Scottish early life had been in farm country where Clydesdales were the motive power in the fields.

They confirmed that they had two breeds of field-work horse: Belgians, and Percherons. They claimed both were bigger and had more strength and stamina than Clydesdales. I did not challenge them on this - they were younger and more numerous, and at least Jacob was much stronger than I.

Mark and Jeremiah left, and then Jake’s older brother, Ervin, appeared at the table and joined in the discussion. Ervin was just 20 years old.

After a short time we were evicted from the diner as a large group of others arrived for breakfast and our table was required. Ervin and I moved to the SSL to continue our conversation.

Ervin was a teacher, looking after the kids in their first school years, and then some others in their last school years. He told me school ceased at Grade 8, which is to age 15.

Ervin told me all the classes are taught in the English language, and so a new oral and written language has to be learnt by the children who speak a dialect of German at home. Swiss-German is a bit like this as well - the written version is similar to the German which appears in German newspapers, but the spoken idiom and pronounciation is different.

Ervin was a very interesting fellow to talk with. He told me he was to be married later this year, and that his bride-to-be was also currently a teacher, but would cease teaching upon marriage. He invited me to his wedding, an astonishing and humbling offer, which I had to decline.

I had a few Oz coins I had in my pocket, which I showed him, then offered them to him for his educational use as they had native animals on the reverse. He said he would certainly use them in his classes. He gave me a business card of his father’s concrete business with his address.

I said I would be happy to send him some picture-books about Australia for use in his school, once I had returned home. I’ll see if I conscript a few friends and rellos in the teaching profession to assist.

Ervin mentioned that, in his study of English, he had become aware that there were certain spelling and grammar rules which did not apply in all circumstances, comparing it to his form of German, which did. He said someone had told him that the English language was like life: there were rules and standards which did not universally apply across the whole language. There were exceptions - times the rules consistently applied, and times they did not.

Things which work in one set of circumstances do not apply in others. You shouldn’t assume they will.

That observation resonated with him, and it was something he brought to his kids’ attention when he was teaching them, and starting them on the path of understanding that there was an Amish life, and a life outside in the “English” world.

Ervin had jokester dining-car attendant Peter for his breakfast and remarked that Peter kept returning to the table with a new joke. Ervin then thought to one-up Peter by saying that the Amish only brush one side of their horses, and asked Peter to work out which one.

I said the only side of a horse you brush is the outside, an answer which met with Ervin’s smiling approval. That answer had eluded Peter, and even when explained to him it seemed to confuse him. Ervin had assessed Peter being miffed as a result.

I figured Ervin enjoyed playing with word puzzles, so I asked him “How far can a dog run into a forest?”

He thought for a second, then came up with the correct answer: half-way.

If Ervin were an Aussie, he’d fit right in.

Another Medical Event

We were at a scheduled stop at Minot, and I thought I could take a photo of the station sign and ask my Oz friends how long they thought I was at that station, with the answer being “A minute”.

Now all USA-born forumites will recognise that joke doesn’t work when you know the town’s name is pronounced “My No”, and our French friends would similarly scratch their heads because it would be pronounced “Mee No”. But were are talking about far less sophisticated Aussies here, and they’ll fall about laughing, no worries.

But we were there longer than a minute. It’s a scheduled work stop, but this time there were lights and sirens. The first-aiders had been called to attend to an ill passenger. A fire-engine and an ambulance were quickly alongside and their crews went about their work.

During the extended stoppage, I was also able to complete another vital part of my mission at Minot: confirm the lead loco number.

This time, I was not thwarted. I can advise that we are being pulled along by loco # 173, with loco #73 in the lead. I’d imagine that if we needed a third, it’d be loco #273.

On reboarding, I had a short chat with Nelson and Edna-May, a young married couple also heading to Whitefish for the wedding.

Another Mighty River

As we neared Williston, I saw we were about to encounter the Missouri River. The tracks were on the river’s northen bank, so I would have a good view out of my south-pointing window.

Before Williston I’d spotted a large natural gas flare in a field, and wondered if I’d see more. There were a few oil pumps dipping up and down here and there, but I saw no other flares over the next forty kilometres or so.

The tracks neared the Missouri again as we crossed the border into Montana. And just before the border, at the confluence if the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers, stands a stockaded trading post and fort: Fort Union, which also seems to be a visitor attraction.

We continued past grain-crop fields and pasturelands as the country became more undulating, rolling hills now replacing the North Dakota plains. More oil pumps appeared amongst the fields. The long trains hauling coal we had passed by on the Zephyr were now hauling oil wagons.

We touched, then parted from the Missouri several times over the next hour as the train sped along at near maximum allowable. We were clearly in the river’s flood plain, as the track was elevated, even when the river was far off. There were reminders of previous rail alignments from time to time, built a couple of metres lower, and likely abandoned over time for safer higher ground.

A Few Moments in the SSC

I decided one of the purloined apples would be plenty enough for me until the evening, so I went forward around midday, but only to the SSC for a little while.

On the way, I saw Ervin in his seat and stopped by to say hello again. He proudly showed me a sketch which was made for him by a fellow passenger who was sketching for tips. Ervin paid five dollars and he was pleased with the deal. He asked me if it was a good like ess and I said it was.

He was writing as I approached and I asked what it was He said he was keeping a journal. I said I was, and that he is in it. He replied that it was fair enough, because I was in his.

I stopped in the SSC for about half an hour or so looking north, the opposite side of the train my roomette was on. There was a very slow section not long after Wolf Point, and then there appeared to be an explanation. There in a field, arrayed neatly in bunches of five or six, were the mangled remains of what looked like gravel wagons, perhaps twenty of them, buckled and warped as if they were made of tinfoil.

There was a pile of axles and wheels, tidily lined up together as if they were still on rails.

The soil around the site was freshly graded, but had obviously been severely churned up.

There must have been a major derailment here, with catastrophic results. I hope no-one was hurt, and that the landowning farmer, on whose fields these salvaged materials rest, is making beer money from the relevant railway company as a storage and disruption fee.

Around the same time, either before or after, I now forget which, I saw another amazing sight.

I’d mentioned earlier about my happiness at spotting a Texas Longhorn and comparing that for geo-specific identification purposes with sighting a Hairy Coo, which would place you in the Scottish Highlands and Islands. But there, in a nearby field, were two or three of them!

In Montana, a long way from the bagpipes and the heather. How confused they must feel.

And then I spotted Glasgow was upcoming. With the assistance of SCA Michel-Antoine, who opened a window for me on the lower deck, I was able to get a shot of the station sign as the train accelerated after its brief halt there.

It was Glasgow, but not as I know it.

Late - Would We Catch Up?

We were down by an hour and that seemed likely to mean our climb up the eastern face of The Rockies might be in darkness. I’d hoped we’d see a bit while there was still light enough.

We did, and a magnificent ride it was. I spent the early part of it in the diner where I was seated with two women: Ricky and Vanessa.

Vanessa was a chef in Chicago who was on the train to visit her grandchildren in Portland. Ricky did not say much about herself, leaving the bulk of the conversation to Vanessa.

I asked for the steak and sea dish, but waiter Jay came back to the table with the news that the last one had gone. He suggested the naked steak as an alternative which I chose.

Vanessa, perhaps because of her background at the dining coalface, where some customers like to make a big issue out of such things, was taken by my no fuss response. I said she should make a trip to Oz as most of us are relaxed about such trivialities.

We discussed the operation of the tipping system, and how some places make it work when it’s included as an addition to a credit-card payment. Of course, in some less reputable places, she said, the wait-staff are left short, or late.

We discussed the best ways to cook mussels, freshly pulled off the rocks. My preferred way is to open them in a pan with a little butter, garlic, and lemon. Vanessa’s involved shallots and a good Australian chardonnay or pinot grigio.

Under their influence, I tried a table sauce they asked Jay to bring, called A1 from memory. It was a little like Worcestershire sauce, but a little more citrusy. I quite liked it, and added a little to my rice and dipped my steak in it.

Dinnertime was up and I sat in the SSC with my takeaway cup of tea, watching the mountains, still covered in snow, as we made a descent by what I thought might be one of the forks of the Flathead River into Whitefish.

I bumped into Jacob, Mark, and Jeremiah again and bade them well. They said they’d seen some deer or elk earlier that evening, they knew which it was, it’s just that I’ve now forgotten which it was that they said they saw.

I had a chance to walk the platform at the Whitefish stop and see a large proportion of the passengers disembark for the wedding. What a celebration they’ll have, gathered in such numbers from so far afield.

It became dark, and it was time to end the day which began on the plains, and would end up with me crossing the divide once again.

CHI to PDX Train 27 (Part Three)

Sometime in the dead if night, they broke my train at Spokane, sending the larger part to Seattle, and the smaller part, with me on it, to Portland.

I did want to get to Seattle, but not in quite such a hurry. I was happy to leave that until a day later.

And I was content to let the marshallers at Spokane organise the train split as I slept, confident I was on the right bit of it.

I awoke at 0500h, which seems early until you realise it was really an hour later, because once again, the clocks had been moved back as we moved farther west in the night. So I was happily rested, and had a look to see where we were.

It was a few kilometres north of Connell, and I could see we were soon to close in on the Columbia River. I decided to stay mostly horizontal and follow proceedings on my - ahem - GPS, and the spy radio.

An hour later we encountered Pasco and its enormous railway infrastructure. A short time later the river hove into view.

And what another mighty river it is! As we rode in its direction of flow, it was clear to see it was getting the benefit of the thaw. It was quite fast-moving and turbulent. I saw good-sized barges, aand a bloke in a tinny who was fishing. There were submerged nets in evidence, and water-birds everywhere.

Both banks of the river had rail lines. On the opposite southern bank, on the Oregon side, long goods trains were slowly making their way along. We seemed to have nothing in our way as we often hit maximum speed of 130kph.

The breakfast call was made, so I dressed and ventured down into the below-stairs cafe of the SSC, a place I had not previously explored, to see what was on offer. It was quite palatable, in a TV dinnerish sort of way.

North American dietry customs are as new to me as other countries’ were to me before I experienced them. So too today, with the interpretation of a Japanese Bento, but for breakfast, and containing three of its four items which would not go astray on a dessert buffet.

In the box was a ham and cheese croissant (which the cafe attendant offerred to warm up - gratefully accepted), a yoghurt, fruit cubes, and - as a completely left-field inclusion - a fruit cobbler.

They were all very acceptable, and I left nothing.

There seemed to be a number of workers using the train after their work shift, perhaps they boarded at Pasco. They had their bulky work paraphernalia with them, they were hi-viz dressed, and lunch-box equipped. A number of them occupied the SSC tables, sitting solo at a four, and attending to vital texting duties.

There was room enough for me to find a suitable space, and eat my boxed breakfast as we steadily neared Portland, all the while watching Columbia River valley scenery out my left side.

There were two large weirs, with locks of course so as not to hinder river traffic, stretching across perhaps a kilometre from bank to bank. One looked like it was holding back water at least by 20 metres, such was the drop on the downstream side.

There was much power being generated by the river, as vast transmission towers left the hydro stations, and at one point, a number of high-tension lines spanned the river just west of Bridge of the Gods.

There was heavy industry on both sides, taking advantage of the energy generated there, and the transport links the river and accompanying road and railways provided.

It is an impressive sight.

PDX airport came into view, signalling we were soon to cross to the southern side of the river, which we did in two spans, with yet another to follow a little later.

We pulled up at the grand old station on time, with just loco #73 attached. There were only four cars to be pulled, an all downhill from at least Pasco, so it was not likely an onerous task.

I was off in time to check a bag through to Seattle, and then look to find my hotel, before setting out to explore Portland.

Well, that is the last of my Amtrak overnighters over with.

I have only another run tomorrow on Amtrak, a shortie of just 301kms (187 miles) from Portland to Seattle, before taking a Thruway to Vancouver, launching point for my only VIA Rail run.

That means Ive covered 14,167 Amtrak kilometres (8,803 miles) to get to Portland, not counting anything on suburban or intra-city lines.

The LD trains were the Capitol Limited, the Texas Eagle, the Californian Zephyr, and the Empire Builder. There were shorter runs with an NER run, and the Coastal Starlight.

Of the overnighters, I reckon I have had a decent enough sample to come to some conclusions.

I like them. I like the people who ride in the sleepers. The staff are good. The stations are easy to navigate. The ticket-buying process is easy, and the documentation supplied is good.

The meals are a bit better than I thought might be the case. Take into account the north-American predisposition to oversize them, take into account their relatively small range across the network, take into account they are made for a mass-market taste, they are fine.

I usually did not attend for one of the three per day because it would have been an intake of far more energy than is required. And I was of the generation which, by habit, always clears their plate. I am not keen on wasting food. In an unequal world, I think it is obscene.

The roomettes were perfectly adequate for a solo traveller. They are well-enough appointed for better than modest comfort. And given that they were likely designed decades ago, they met all of my present-day needs. Asking for more would be greedy.

I did not meet a dud staff-member. Most were engageable, even if it took a wee bit to bring down their reserve :)

The on-train showers and toilets were fine and good enough to do their job. They were kept pretty clean in the cars I was in.

The timetable was tolerably kept, at least end-to-end. I know it was not at times, point-to-point, along the route.

I have always enjoyed train travel, and I enjoyed travelling by Amtrak.

I would be happy to extend my travels here on more of the lines, or even have a go at some of the same ones again, but that is not likely to happen. There are other places to explore and other people to get to know.

Im looking forward to The Canadian Train #2 next week, although Im not keen on its timekeeping. It will be nice to be able to make a comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great read, this is!

I hope you will keep posting here when you go to Vancouver, and then the Canadian....
default_smile.png

Thanks for your trip report, most enjoyable.

If you need any books to read, I can recommend Powell's City of Books, for new and used books, amazing place!

Ed.
Thanks for the tip.

I deliberately travelled bookless, at least as much so I could travel light enough to take my belongings as aircraft cabin baggage, and because I was likely to use Shanks’s pony after arriving at stations.

But I reckon I should bring a book or two for the journey east from Vancouver given the lack of digital coverage I’m expecting, and the possible huge delays in the trip.

Back