19 hours in Coach- Doable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mwahahaha Shanghai Johnny wins this battle!

(I personally would've thought that LA-Dubai would be on that list, but it ranks at only 15:55 for the eastbound)
Congratulations Johnny!! You appear to have a good knowledge

of airlines like you do trains. Soon you will be driving and

will know the highway routes. Have a great day.

(I personally would've thought that LA-Dubai would be on that list, but it ranks at only 15:55 for the eastbound)

Hahaha Shanghai as if I don't know the roads already.
laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

Back in 7th grade I went to the state level in the National Geographic Bee, and came in 7th in California, which even though its good, it was obvious I was the best there. I should've won and gone to Nationals, but that's ok. Only one person from each state can qualify to nats so it's much harder in California than Wyoming if you know what I mean. Things I've always been interested in since I was three are weather, geography, and transportation in general, so anything that can combine those really fascinates me.

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

Back in 7th grade I went to the state level in the National Geographic Bee, and came in 7th in California, which even though its good, it was obvious I was the best there. I should've won and gone to Nationals, but that's ok. Only one person from each state can qualify to nats so it's much harder in California than Wyoming if you know what I mean. Things I've always been interested in since I was three are weather, geography, and transportation in general, so anything that can combine those really fascinates me.
Congratulations! I used to be involved in the Geography Bee when I was a kid. In 8th grade (1998 for me) I ended up in 3rd place in Missouri, with only a question about La Niña separating me from a trip to Washington and a chance to meet Alex Trebek. I've never forgotten that question.

I traveled from Chicago to Springfield Mass early in June on the Lake Shore Limited. It depends on personal preference, but I found it to be a stressed environment, characterized by sweat, flatulence and crying babies.

Also noted that the crew on that route can be a bit imperious, Best advice is to do what they ask, and sit where they want you to sit., Don't be a rebel, and never argue, or else you could find yourself deposited in Cleveland at 3:00 in the morning.

Long Distance travel on Amtrak can be endured, but you must be mentally and physically prepared.

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

Congratulations! I used to be involved in the Geography Bee when I was a kid. In 8th grade (1998 for me) I ended up in 3rd place in Missouri, with only a question about La Niña separating me from a trip to Washington and a chance to meet Alex Trebek. I've never forgotten that question.
Nice job! I really have respect for that. I know what you mean about being so close to being at nats - but my question that qualified me for states was one pretty similar to the one you lost on - about rain shadows and patterns :)

I recently spent days in coach. In summer months, I think it is pretty difficult. Bathrooms are constantly in use. People coming through coach cars constantly. You go to the lounge and every seat and table is taken. There's a long line in the cafe. During the fall, I took a coach seat and the train was about half full, and it was like a whole different world. If I got tired of my seat, I co uld go sit in the lounge, maybe strike up a conversation. Get a snack in the cafe and read while eating it.

So, really, I think the time of year can make it a "no" or a "yes". AARP tells its members don't travel in the busy season. Some of the reasons they say that apply to people who aren't elderly, who just want a pleasant trip.

I've done the CHI-SEA in coach more than 36 hours each way - one round-trip for Seattle Folk-life 1,5 years ago with my brother and one SEA-MSP last November. Longer than any air trip by far - but the seats are way better than air coach and the people I met in the lounge and diner were pretty decent folks.

A few 20-something boozers near my coach seat once but not real bad. But I did have to bite my tongue when one of the 20-somethings - on the second morning in Montana - asked the AC -- "can I get motion sickness here?" -- Well, sonny boy - if they cut you off last night - yeah - motion sickness is one thing -- but a hangover will make it much worse :) Don't be stupid in front of a whole car-full of people kiddo.

Getting put off the train somewhere in the middle of Montana will learn you something -- actually that happened once long ago on the same route - some rowdy sleeping car people got put on the ground at the stop before Whitefish their vacation destination -- and the next two daily trains were sold out -- :)

On that route - the EB - liked most of my fellow passengers - Amish, Native Am, libs, cons, parents, toddlers, retired, college -- good mix and all -- not a thief in a carload. It can be a really good voyage. Take it as it is, and you won't go wrong. And have a plan B if you're time-critical.

Now that I'm a grand-dad the screaming kids dont bother me much - and they usually tire themselves out pretty quick - not like on airlines where the little ones ears are really hurting them and they can't stop screaming until touchdown. On the train the best thing is keep cool and don't hate the parents - just makes them anxious and the kids get worse - keep cool and it will get better. Just leave the parents be and signal non-verbally that you know what it's like - a smile and a non-physical hug will help more than any words can do.

I'm doing a WAS-MSP later this year in coach - it's only about 24 hours and I've got no fears at all - will sleep or not -

I recently spent days in coach. In summer months, I think it is pretty difficult. Bathrooms are constantly in use. People coming through coach cars constantly. You go to the lounge and every seat and table is taken. There's a long line in the cafe. During the fall, I took a coach seat and the train was about half full, and it was like a whole different world. If I got tired of my seat, I co uld go sit in the lounge, maybe strike up a conversation. Get a snack in the cafe and read while eating it.

So, really, I think the time of year can make it a "no" or a "yes". AARP tells its members don't travel in the busy season. Some of the reasons they say that apply to people who aren't elderly, who just want a pleasant trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 20+ Hr trip on the Cardinal to Chicagol. My coach seat had tons of leg room, comparable with a first / business class airline seat. Of course one will sleep even better in a roomette, but a coach seat will do fine IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back