19 hours in Coach- Doable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heejoung Kim

Is anyone traveled from NYC to Chicago by coach seat? I hope to see the lake view, but it takes 19 hours as you know. Will be possible? Or something crazy?

Well, WB a lot of the lake will be passed in darkness if the train is on time (I got to see some of Erie one morning last year because we were late and the sun woke me up in my sleeper).

And...I've done similar lengths of time in a seat before, and I did not enjoy it (this was RVR-DLD...actually my first LD train trip). The biggest saving grace was that I was able to, quite bleary-eyed and half-asleep, wander to the dining car and get a proper breakfast (with coffee), and you'll have the same privilege on the LSL of access to a dining car in the morning either way.

My family and I just recently did 17 hours in coach on the Crescent, Atlanta to New York and back. The first night I didn't sleep much mostly due to excitement, but coming back I was only awake when the train stopped, and then not very long. The cars were pretty full and most people seemed to be sleeping. A bed would certainly have been nice, but even with my height making even Amtrak's large coach seats somewhat hard to stretch out in, it wasn't a problem for us and if the choice (due to money) was coach, or no train, I'd pick coach in half a heartbeat.

Well, WB a lot of the lake will be passed in darkness if the train is on time (I got to see some of Erie one morning last year because we were late and the sun woke me up in my sleeper).

And...I've done similar lengths of time in a seat before, and I did not enjoy it (this was RVR-DLD...actually my first LD train trip). The biggest saving grace was that I was able to, quite bleary-eyed and half-asleep, wander to the dining car and get a proper breakfast (with coffee), and you'll have the same privilege on the LSL of access to a dining car in the morning either way.
What he said. If you're coming from New York (I assume you're taking the Lake Shore Limited) you'll be able to see the Hudson, which is even better I think than seeing Lake Erie. Depending on when you wake up and how late the train is you might see the sun rise between Sandusky and Toledo, which is quite pretty. You'll also get glimpses of Lake Michigan on the run into Chicago.

I find I can sleep in intervals of about 1.5-2 hours in coach. The lights aren't completely out and in coach full of people there will be ambient noise even if most people are trying to sleep. The dining car on the LSL is never full into Chicago, but honestly I would just get a cup of coffee in the cafe when it opens and find something decent in Chicago. I'm never quite ready for breakfast after sleeping in coach. Also, don't try to sleep until you're past Buffalo. The track is really bumpy and you'll just wake up anyway.

I did Chicago - NYC this past April in coach and had no problem. It was the 3rd night in a row that I slept in coach and didn't mind one bit. The only hard thing for me is deciding whether the aisle or window seat is better. Window you have something to lean on, but you need to climb over someone to get up in the night. Aisle you can get out whenever you want but I lean my head on the armrest and it can get bumped by people walking by in the night. I have found a sleeping position that works well for me and doesn't encroach on my neighbor's space (I'm 6ft tall). With a travel pillow, some sweat pants, one of those lightweight sleeping bags unzipped like a blanket and my iPod and I can sleep for 5 hours at a time no problem.

One night in Coach should be OK. I've done very long day trips in Coach but if I'm going overnight then I always get a Sleeper. The Amtrak seats are much larger than competing seats, 50''-55'' long compared to 34''-38'' on Greyhound or 31'' for Economy Class on UA/AA/DL. It's kinda hard to interpret but the size increase should be obvious.

I did it frequently when I was in college 30 years ago. A slumbercoach was a much nicer, if a little isolating ride.

Is anyone traveled from NYC to Chicago by coach seat? I hope to see the lake view, but it takes 19 hours as you know. Will be possible? Or something crazy?
A lot depends on how well you sleep in general. If, like me, you are a "light sleeper," then you might do better in a sleeper car. Bring a pair of "noise cancelling" headphones to drown out ambient noise, even if you don't listen to any music. Talk with your doctor about any "sleeping aids" s/he might think are appropriate for you. Also, any aids to help with "motion sickness" if that's an issue for you. I always carry some "Bonine" (OTC Meclazine HCL) for motion sickness. Try to find seats (or be assigned a room) in the middle of the train car, as opposed to being on/near the end of the car, where you could be directly over one of the trucks. When seated at meal time, always ask to be seated facing the direction of travel. Sometimes, they will try and make you sit in the opposite direction, just to fill the table. Insist that you be seated in the direction of travel, even if it means you have to wait for the next table.

The LSL is a very nice route, especially in the Finger Lakes region, and along the Hudson.

Best of Luck. :hi:

A lot depends on how well you sleep in general. If, like me, you are a "light sleeper," then you might do better in a sleeper car.
Excellent advice - it also depends on what you're doing when you get there. If you need to be on your "A-game" for a business meeting or something, getting a poor night's sleep on the train isn't the best plan.

If you've got the time to take it easy on your first day in Chicago to relax from a potentially poor night of sleep, that's a different story.

A lot depends on how well you sleep in general. If, like me, you are a "light sleeper," then you might do better in a sleeper car.
Excellent advice - it also depends on what you're doing when you get there. If you need to be on your "A-game" for a business meeting or something, getting a poor night's sleep on the train isn't the best plan.

If you've got the time to take it easy on your first day in Chicago to relax from a potentially poor night of sleep, that's a different story.
Thanks! :hi: BTW, did you get my PM? :D

I will be doing it twice coming up in Aug. Taking the Cardinal to Trenton NJ which if on time is a 20+ hour ride then returning on teh Penn/CL to chicago, both trips will be coach...

It's very 'doable' and it's my preferred mode of train travel.

In the past year, I've taken 11 overnight, long distance, trips in coach and I never had a problem - maybe I've just been lucky.
smile.gif

I've never had a problem getting a reservation in the diner and don't find the cost of a roomette worth the *free food*.

I did take one overnight trip in a very expensive, in my opinion, roomette ($458! - the cost of a 6 day cruise with a lot of good *free food* or one night at the Doubletree in Chelsea) on the Lake Shore Limited and was no more comfortable outside of being able to lie down - *free dinner* didn't make it any better either.
tongue.gif

I spent most of the night in the roomette getting up continually due to the rough track so that was definitely lost $ in my book.

I also found the seats in coach to be far more comfortable than the seats in the roomette.

So, if you're able to fall asleep in a semi prone position, like on a recliner, you'll have no problem getting some rest in coach.

Personally, I'd rather spend more money on my destination accommodations but that's just my personal preference, many here only travel in sleepers.

I always have a pillow of some kind and a light blanket or sheet.

I don't use ear plugs or a sleeping mask as I think it's important to be aware of your surroundings, even in your own home.

I've taken a full size bed pillow with me by putting it in a compression bag - you can smash it down pretty small and pack it in your bag.

You could always buy a cheap pillow before you leave and throw it away at your destination so you don't have to carry it with you.

These are like the compression bags I use - no vacuum needed - great when you want to pack more too.

Compression Travel Bags

I also just discovered this travel pillow and really like it so I probably won't take a regular pillow anymore.

TravelRest Pillow

Whatever you decide to do.... Have fun!

....Personally, I'd rather spend more money on my destination accommodations but that's just my personal preference, many here only travel in sleepers....
We are exactly the opposite. For us, the train travel is at least as, if not more, important to us than the destination. Therefore we "splurge" on the train accommodations and get a sleeper for every LD trip...

Really, the only way to tell is to try for yourself! Once I tried an overnight in coach on the Silver Meteor, but upgraded in the middle of the night. I was miserable!!!!

As said, Have Fun

I rode in coach from New York City to Indianapolis.

I survived, but I much prefer a sleeper.

It's quite possible to enjoy a trip of this length -- or even longer -- in coach. I've ridden the California Zephyr between Chicago and Denver and then Denver and Emeryville in coach and enjoyed the trip. I also rode the Southwest Chief between Chicago and Los Angeles -- a 43-hour journey -- in coach without issues.

I'd rather be in a sleeper, but coach can be fine, as well. You lack sleeping-car amenities, but at least you're on a train -- and that's more than half the fun for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode ~20 hours between Baltimore and Tampa on the Silver Star last winter (no roomettes available). It worked out fine, except that I wasn't able to get a dinner reservation in the diner. Two items that enhanced by sleep were eyeshades and earplugs. I slept OK, except that the bottom of the seat started feeling like it was made of concrete, and I had to use the restroom in the middle of the night, but didn't because I had a window seat and didn't want to wake my seatmate. I had a perfectly fine seatmate, which can make or break a long trip in coach, she was a young mom who was riding herd on two reasobably behaved kids sitting across the aisle. (That's why I was assigned the window seat.) In any event, she was up and about with the kids for some of the time, and later in the evening, I went to the lounge car and had a bottle of wine and chatted with other travelers.

In general, I prefer the roomette becuase of the privacy and the guaranateed dinner reservation, but given the way sleeper prices have been going up, I might reconsider that for 1-night trips. I wish they had an intermediate class, like the slumbercoach, or the Euro-style couchettes (I rode in something like that on the Japanese equivalent of NE Regional #67 back in 1978, and it was surprisingly roomy, despite being a 3-decker bunk.) or something the the lie-flat seats the airlines have for business class/first class.

It can't be anything near like as bad as the 24 hour flight from Sydney to London and I've survived that (and the equivalent to other destinations) a bunch of times but only because I don't really have any other choice, not having the time or money to take the Queen Mary II or fly first class. But since on a train I do have sleepers as a quite affordable option (compared to business class long haul), I chose sleepers every time. It's lots of fun. But coach has been very comfortable on quite long day trips and I nap just fine too.

....Personally, I'd rather spend more money on my destination accommodations but that's just my personal preference, many here only travel in sleepers....
We are exactly the opposite. For us, the train travel is at least as, if not more, important to us than the destination. Therefore we "splurge" on the train accommodations and get a sleeper for every LD trip...
Philosophically, I'm with Joanie in that I decide what I really need or want, and say the heck with what everyone else does. That way I can do what I really want to do.

But in practice, I'm with the beer guy. I'd much rather stay at a mom & pop when I get there in order to have a sleeper. Nothing wrong which coach, it's just that sleeper travel in one of my favorite things to do.

I've done four overnights in coach recently (because I can't will myself to spend the extra money on a sleeper), and I'd say that it is definitely doable, though I find that earplugs are a nice thing to have, since there are some sources of ambient noise present. I would not expect a good night's sleep, but I have never arrived too tired to function. Granted, I work terrible and unpredictable hours in a research lab and therefore have gotten quite good at functioning with a ruined circadian rhythm.

I agree that waking up early and getting a nice breakfast in the diner is a nice way to refresh. Amtrak coffee is better than what you'd find on any airline save Southwest.

Also, (not germane to the original question regarding NYP-CHI) I find that when taking a two night trip in coach, the second night goes much better than the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back