1st Level vs 2nd Level Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandj

Service Attendant
I booked a roomette a month out for a recent round trip from Pittsburgh to Chicago. I paid no attention to the room assignment because I have never been assigned anything but a second level roomette. When I boarded I had 14 which was on the lower level. At first I was annoyed with myself for not sorting it out much earlier, but in the end I loved it. It was very quiet and near several restrooms. Good job I liked it, because I had 13 coming back! However, I have a couple of questions--is upper level considered more desirable? Was I assinged lower because I was traveling alone? (I am usually with someone)?

Luck of the draw by the computer! If you call and talk with an agent you can request a certain room but it might be in a higher bucket (cost more). Has nothing to do with how many are traveling except in the family bedroom and the bedrooms where you have to talk with an agent to book three into a room. Everyone has an opinion of which they prefer, I personally like being up top but downstairs does have the benefits you mentioned!

I think it's kind of random based on when you book, what rate bucket you land in, and how they've assigned the rooms to buckets. As for desirability, there's lots of debate on that front - lower level has less traffic, closer restroom access, the luggage rack is easily accessible, and if your window is dirty, you can clean it when there's a train stop. Downside of lower level, there's a bit more track noise (but less sway), the windows tend to get dirty quicker, and you have to climb stairs to go elsewhere in the train. Upper level has better views, easier to snag the porter, quieter (except the roomettes by the end of the car), and you're more in the flow of activity. I've never tested this, but some think the upper bunk in the bottom level is slightly roomier since the car doesn't round in at the outside top corner. Personally, I prefer lower level myself since I can get to the shower easier and use the luggage rack to stage things rather than have to carry things up to my room and back.

No, assignment is the luck of the draw! I usually travel alone and almost always get upper level. So it doesn't matter if you're alone or with someone.

It depends on the person, if they prefer upper or lower level. I personally like upper level for the views and the access to the other cars (which is only via the upper level). Many others prefer the lower level for less foot traffic, the ease to the rest rooms (there are 3 on the lower level, but only 1 on the upper level) ease to the shower (lower level only) and ease to the door at "smoke breaks". The lower level rooms also have to climb the stairs to get to other cars (like the Dining Car and lounge). There is also less sway (of the car) on the lower level, but I've never noticed it.

All the Bene's of the lower are true that Mike posted, but the scenery trumps all for me, I like the upper level best.

Personally, I prefer lower level myself since I can get to the shower easier and use the luggage rack to stage things rather than have to carry things up to my room and back.
As said I usually have an upper level room, but always leave all my bags (except my computer, etc...) in the luggage rack. That way, I can just grab my clothes on the way to the shower (you have to pass it anyway), and then put the dirty clothes back in the bags when I'm thru! Plus, you don't have to fight with the bags on the sharp corners of the stairway or try to find a place to store then in your room!

Maybe it's the product of too many years in "Manpower and Equipment Standards" (time/motion study) for a once major airline but it seems from the timing of my/our booking roomettes/bedrooms that Amtrak does indeed understand the above noted "science". In all cases the earlier the booking the closer to the center of the car has been the rule. With the far end roomettes/bedrooms going next to last and the down stairs units being the last to be sold. It makes sense when you consider the attendant doesn't need to walk from end to end if most/all of the units are not occuppied.

That's one man's opinion...for what it's worth.

Best regards,

Rodger

I had a lower roomette on the Sunset Limited from Houston to LAX last August and had no problem with it. The advantages are as stated above, close to the rest rooms and shower, no aisle traffic, and you have access to the dutch doors when the attendant is away and can hang out and take pictures plus you can be easily off the train at stops where detraining is allowed. Upstairs you are above passing trains so the view is better sometimes, but I tend to hang out in the SSL a lot for that. The best pictures are taken from an open dutch door. :)

In all cases the earlier the booking the closer to the center of the car has been the rule. With the far end roomettes/bedrooms going next to last and the down stairs units being the last to be sold. It makes sense when you consider the attendant doesn't need to walk from end to end if most/all of the units are not occuppied.
Actually in my experience, Amtrak usually sells rooms 2 and 3, and sometimes 4 first. Then they sell 11 & 12, before moving back upstairs to sell 5, 6, 7, & 8. Then it's back downstairs for 13 & 14, before completing things with 9 & 10.

Of course special requests sometimes change the order of things.

I prefer roomette 14 on the lower level. If that isn't available, I like roomette 2 on the upper level.

I prefer any room on the train!
mosking.gif

Lower level= a bit more track noise, better privacy, closer bath & shower facilities & less hall traffic.

Upper level= better view, more hall traffic, lower track noise, longer walk to restroom/shower, shorter walk to dining car

IMO its a toss up but we like the upper level because its just a tad quieter or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back