1st Trip on Pacific Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter (9) and I are planning a jaunt to San Clemente Beach as a side trip from Disneyland. I'm a bit nervous ( :unsure: )about traveling on a form of transportation new to me with my child, and I have some questions for you knowledgeable and friendly folks: 1. Is there really a station where Amtrak stops at San Clemente? (some sources say that there is, but even more seem to indicate that the closest stop to S.C. is San Juan Capistrano) And if there is, can we be dropped off AND picked up there? 2. Is there coach seating on the top level of the surfliner, or would I have to upgrade to pacific business to get us seats on the upper level (my daughter REALLY wants to sit on top!)? 3. For carry-on bags, would a regular size backpack meet the size requirements? If not, what do you suggest for a couple of gals headed for a day at the beach (and some shopping, of course! ;) ) 4. I just have to mention that I was thrilled to find this site, and after reading several of the entries, many of my questions were already answered! Thank you, everyone! :D

Northteacher-

There is no real "station" at the San Clemente Pier, however, there is a platform that a few of the Surfliners do stop at. The schedule is designed to accomodate people coming down from northern areas on the route to spend a day and then return. On board, the coach seating is mostly upstairs. The business class passengers are accomodated in a Business class car sandwiched between the engine and the cafe car. (The Cafe car has coach seating upstairs too.) I have never seen the carry on baggage policy enforced on the Surfliner trains. Either way, I don't see how a regular back pack could be disqualified as carry-on.

Now, as for things to do in San Clemente, I HIGHLY recommend you have lunch across the street from the pier at Cassano's Pizza. It's a small beach restaurant with an open dining area that look out to the ocean (and trains). They actually have a pretty full menu too. My sister and I always get the ravioli and 2 slices of pizza to split when we go there. (We sometimes slpit a ceaser salad too when we're REAL hungry.) For shopping, a quick walk up the hill past the parking lot takes you up to Avenida Del Mar, which is basically downtown San Clemente. Pacific Coast Hwy. is at the top of the hill. Should you miss your return train for what ever reason, you can catch a bus up there to get to the San Juan Capistrano station which has more regular service. Routes 91 and 191 come to mind, although I can not recall which goes that far south. I hope this helps.

-Firebert

Orange County Transportation Authority (bus info)

There are actually two train stations in San Clamente. Both I believe are located adjacent to the beach. The one served by amtrak is next to the peir as far as i know. The other a mile north is served by metrolink commuter trains.

You shouldnt have any problem with a backpack as a caryon. For pictures of the san clamente station go to http://snow.prohosting.com/usarail/sanclemente.htm.

Firebert,

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions! (It was especially nice of you to respond when I think I posted these questions in the wrong section.)One thing you said made me think of another question: if we get a bus to San Juan Capistrano, can we board an Amtrak train there at no further cost, even though the ticket was supposed to be for boarding at San Clemente, or will I have to purchase new tickets?

Aloha

Last December my Grandaughter, 3 years old, rode her first train from Fulerton, slightly north of Anaheim (Disneyland). She loved it as you can see from my Picture Gallery If you back up on page you can see a second picture of the San Clamente stop, We were on a mid morning train to San Deigo.

If you're making a return trip going north and have a ticket from San Clemente and board in San Juan, I don't see the conductor having an issue with that. I would double check that one with Amtrak though.

-Firebert

The fare from San Clemente to Anaheim is actually more than the fare from San Juan Capistrano to Anaheim. Therefore, you wouldn't have to pay anything extra if you boarded at the latter station (however, you wouldn't be entitled to a refund of the difference).

So, even though I'm planning to reserve a return time of 4:13, you're saying that I could actually use that ticket to return any time? What if my daughter became bored at 2:00 p.m.? Would it work to take a bus to San Juan and board the earliest train that was heading back to Anaheim? And about the bus: can anyone tell me the whereabouts of the bus station in San Clemente ( is it the OCTA?), approximate cost, and/or scheduled departure times?

With unreserved tickets, you buy a transportation ticket between two points, good on any unreserved train between those points for a given period of time (usually a year). You can then use them whenever you want.

I can't help you with the bus info, unfortunately.

Metrolink, the commuter trains serving LA and it's neighboring areas, serves San Clemente Pier. Problem is there is no station right next to Disneyland, so you might ask your hotel for a shuttle van or a taxi between Disneyland and station.

Information for ride between Disneyland and one of stations can be found on links to/from Disneyland.

If you want more specific details like timetable, distance between Disneyland and station, etc. I could do that for you. Let me know.

Yes, that would be great! We are probably going to do this on a Thursday, and we'll want to leave our motel (directly across from the Disneyland entrance on Harbor Boulevard) in time to take the Amtrak train that leaves about 10:00 a.m. We'll be returning on the train that arrives back in Anaheim at about 5:00 p.m.

After searching with OCTA's website, I found one direct bus route and it requires some walking on both ends. I would recommend to call OCTA to get more specific details.

OCTA #50: corner of Harbor & Katella. Don't know how far is walking distance from arrival to Anaheim station. About 15-20 minutes ride. Fare each way is $1.25. Click on OCTA #50 schedule & map, and then click on #50's PDF icon.

Taxi: quick and direct route. Ask hotel desk or Disneyland for phone number and information.

Hopefully, this will help you a lot.

gswager said:
After searching with OCTA's website, I found one direct bus route and it requires some walking on both ends. I would recommend to call OCTA to get more specific details.
OCTA #50: corner of Harbor & Katella. Don't know how far is walking distance from arrival to Anaheim station. About 15-20 minutes ride. Fare each way is $1.25. Click on OCTA #50 schedule & map, and then click on #50's PDF icon.

Taxi: quick and direct route. Ask hotel desk or Disneyland for phone number and information.

Hopefully, this will help you a lot.
Aloha The Bus stops right at the Anaheim Train station. Watched severl times waiting for something else. From the Hotel location description it's about 2 miles to the amtrak station If the train you are going to catch is 768 9:40am traffic wont be an issue.

Also as I sent in Private Mail contact my Daughter. I spoke to her yesturday and will help you find out what you need.

Back