2 Diner questions for Chicago and LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings travel mates, a few questions for those that are Chicago-know it alls, or have been in my shoes.

1. I will be traveling to Chicago with a layover and would love to find a classic/vintage/historic Diner, anything nostalgic? (You can also include historic/nostalgic places to visit around the area as well!... I enjoy getting lost in history.)

2. I read that we have to make reservations for dinner on the LSL, do any of you have any tips? Perhaps when/how I should go about reserving a place in the diner car? Feel free to give me as much advice as you feel necessary; its my first time!

Thanks.

Greetings travel mates, a few questions for those that are Chicago-know it alls, or have been in my shoes.
1. I will be traveling to Chicago with a layover and would love to find a classic/vintage/historic Diner, anything nostalgic? (You can also include historic/nostalgic places to visit around the area as well!... I enjoy getting lost in history.)

2. I read that we have to make reservations for dinner on the LSL, do any of you have any tips? Perhaps when/how I should go about reserving a place in the diner car? Feel free to give me as much advice as you feel necessary; its my first time!

Thanks.
A: there is no diner on the LSL out of Chicago. You'll be given wine and cheese out of Chicago if you're in a sleeper. Otherwise it's buffet car food.

B: Everyone on this site recommends Giordano's - you just have to like pizza. For me it's Lou Mitchell's, but that is breakfast and lunch only (and that's nostalgic).

:)

Thanks.
A: there is no diner on the LSL out of Chicago. You'll be given wine and cheese out of Chicago if you're in a sleeper. Otherwise it's buffet car food.

B: Everyone on this site recommends Giordano's - you just have to like pizza. For me it's Lou Mitchell's, but that is breakfast and lunch only (and that's nostalgic).
I believe he said he was traveling to CHI so perhaps dinner in the diner :lol: is the night before??? :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.
Historic/Nostalgic food:

The Berghoff. German food. Received Chicago's first liquor license after Prohibition.

The Billy Goat Tavern. Underneath Michigan Av. Frequented by crusty journos such as Mike Royko back in the day, it's the original "cheeseburger! cheeseburger!" place that inspired the SNL sketch.

Arts:

Victory Gardens Theatre is a troupe operating out of the old Biograph (where Dillinger got shot). They might have something running while you're here.

The Music Box is an old movie house from 1929. The main auditorium is decked out like a courtyard, with stars twinkling in the ceiling and projected clouds. No balcony, alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back