2 questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTownDog

Train Attendant
This forum has been an invaluable resource to me in learning about train travel on Amtrak. As I prepare for my first cross country train trip next week, I have 2 questions.

1-Can anyone recommend a good book/books about train travel that I could check out of the library and take along for reading on my trip?

2 - Due to an unfortunate reservation glitch, I was bumped from sleeper to coach (long story) on the first leg of my journey from Orlando to Washington DC. I know I've seen it posted elsewhere, but can't seem to find the answer this morning. I'll be on the 98 Silver Meteor riding in coach and will need to use an electrical outlet. Where specifically can the electrical outlets be found on a coach Viewliner car?

Your information and advice is as always welcomed and appreciated.

Jeff

This forum has been an invaluable resource to me in learning about train travel on Amtrak. As I prepare for my first cross country train trip next week, I have 2 questions.

1-Can anyone recommend a good book/books about train travel that I could check out of the library and take along for reading on my trip?

2 - Due to an unfortunate reservation glitch, I was bumped from sleeper to coach (long story) on the first leg of my journey from Orlando to Washington DC. I know I've seen it posted elsewhere, but can't seem to find the answer this morning. I'll be on the 98 Silver Meteor riding in coach and will need to use an electrical outlet. Where specifically can the electrical outlets be found on a coach Viewliner car?

Your information and advice is as always welcomed and appreciated.

Jeff
1) I like "USA by Rail" or "AMTRAKing"!

2) Most cars now have power for every row. (The plug is next to the window.) For the few cars that have not been refurbished with at seat power, IIRC the 2 plugs in the car are near seats #12 and #60 or so. (They are also on the wall, but may be covered by the seats.) IIRC, there is also power in the lounge car.

Unfortunately, by the time a Silver makes it to Orlando, all the "good" seats in coach will be taken, and the lounge car will be standing room only (coach passengers "camp out" there for their entire journey).

Here's a pic, and you can see an outlet just along the right edge, center.

800px-Amtrak_2009_014.jpg

BTW, only the sleeper cars are Viewliners. The coaches are Amfleet II cars.

Hi Jeff,

I am sorry that your reservation glitch as not yet been resolved. I have not yet been on the Silver Meteor where it has been pretty much sold out, so I cannot comment on how crowded the lounge will be. To date, I have not seen it where there was no place to sit (as long as you do not mind sharing a table). The last time I was in coach, there were outlets at all the seats, however, most of the passengers that were boarding in Orlando, who were singles, were given aisle seats.

I just checked the Amtrak website and the roomettes were still sold out. :angry: Maybe things will change before Thursday. Also, if for some reason, there is a no show or a last minute cancellation, you might be able to do an on-board upgrade to a roomette. There are experts on this board that can give you better advice than I can. I have only done it once and it was probably about 15 years ago.

I am looking forward to meeting you on Thursday. I will be the middle-aged woman in the Orlando waiting room that is acting like a child because she is so excited about her trip. :giggle:

Penny

The last time I was in coach, there were outlets at all the seats, however, most of the passengers that were boarding in Orlando, who were singles, were given aisle seats.
But even if you have an aisle seat, you can still use the plug! That's why I always carry a power strip with me!
wink.gif

I will be the middle-aged woman in the Orlando waiting room that is acting like a child because she is so excited about her trip. :giggle:
That sounds like me too - except that woman part!
laugh.gif

Hi, Jeff.....I'm envious of you starting your first cross country Amtrak trip next week...i'll be going on my first long distance west to east coast Amtrak trip and back next month. You'll have fun, even in coach I'm sure. As for your questions:

1. I recommend "USA By Rail"....I just read it for the 4th time last week at my local Borders Bookstore, and may end up buying it anyways before I head out on my journey from Southern California to Michigan next month. Also, someone mentioned AMTRAKing....there is a thread on this very forum about the poster meeting the author of that book on a rail journey and ended up getting an autographed copy of that book later on. I think the thread's title is " a lovely gesture" or something like that. This forum is also a good reading resource if you can access it on your trip, as well as www.trainweb.com., a website devoted to many things trains...

2. i wish i can help you on the outlets thing....i just found out about where approximately the outlets on a Superliner coach cars are recently....

Have fun on your trip, and enjoy the ride !

I recommend "USA by Rail" and "AMTRAKing" as well. I was the fortunate traveler to meet up with Mauris Emeka, the author of "AMTRAKing", and find his book very informative, even though it was written 16 years ago and there is a bit of information out of date. Most of the information, however, is still relevant today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back