2 r/t max per day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
i did 3 glenview to chicago roundtrips a couple of weeks ago... And noticed points only posted for two of the three roundtrips. I called agr and was told anything beyond 2 rt's in a day gets zero points. Is this new or not?? I remember bonus pts getting cut off at 2 rts but never regular points. Oh well guess pt runs will be limited to 2 rts from now on...

Been that long??? Wow I swear I have done 3 mke airprt to mke downtwn loops and recently got credit. Glad to know this now though pre-triple points weeks

I had thought that the two round trip (four segment) limit per day was only for getting the 100 point minimum per segment: that additional segments beyond four per day would still get the 2x points per dollar, not zero. Perhaps it has always been this way, but getting no credit for segments five and beyond seems like a new wrinkle.

Robert,

The issue is what did you pay for the trips? I'm guessing since it was a Hiawatha trip, that you're out of luck. However, if your trips cost more than $50, then you are owed points. I quote from the TOC:

Except as provided in this Section, Members who provide their Membership Number at the time of ticket purchase will earn 2 Points for every $1 spent on Amtrak travel, a minimum of 100 Points for each trip. A maximum of two roundtrips or four one-way trips, per member, per day will be allowed to earn points under the 100 point minimum per trip rule. Any trips subsequent to the maximum of two roundtrips or four one-ways, per member, per day will receive 2 Points for every $1 if the trips point value exceeds 100 points.
I bolded the most important part. That comes from rule #4 in section C of the rules found here on the AGR site.

Now many promotions, including the current Spring/NTD promo also preclude paying out the double/triple points on more than 4 one ways/2 round trips. But again, under all circumstances you are entitled to the typical base points of 2 X the dollar amount if the amount for the ticket was over $50.

Why they don't pay points on the under $50's I'm not quite sure, although I suspect that it comes down to their inability to get the computer to apply the multiplication rule rather than the minimum rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert,

The issue is what did you pay for the trips? I'm guessing since it was a Hiawatha trip, that you're out of luck. However, if your trips cost more than $50, then you are owed points. I quote from the TOC:

Except as provided in this Section, Members who provide their Membership Number at the time of ticket purchase will earn 2 Points for every $1 spent on Amtrak travel, a minimum of 100 Points for each trip. A maximum of two roundtrips or four one-way trips, per member, per day will be allowed to earn points under the 100 point minimum per trip rule. Any trips subsequent to the maximum of two roundtrips or four one-ways, per member, per day will receive 2 Points for every $1 if the trips point value exceeds 100 points.
I bolded the most important part. That comes from rule #4 in section C of the rules found here on the AGR site.

Now many promotions, including the current Spring/NTD promo also preclude paying out the double/triple points on more than 4 one ways/2 round trips. But again, under all circumstances you are entitled to the typical base points of 2 X the dollar amount if the amount for the ticket was over $50.

Why they don't pay points on the under $50's I'm not quite sure, although I suspect that it comes down to their inability to get the computer to apply the multiplication rule rather than the minimum rule.
Alan,

Yeah... I just saw that after spending 20 minutes browsing through the Terms & Conditions.

So yeah, I guess they were right denying me the points because the tickets were $7.65 a piece... However, I dont think (until the AGR change-over) they really enforced this... because I am looking back at my account from early 2010 and they did credit me the points for 3 MKA-MKE round-trips that I did in a day.

I can see why they limit the 100 point max values to a degree, but why not do away with it? I mean people going on point runs (granted there are probably not many of us) boost the Amtrak numbers up, right?

But thanks for your help Alan!

RT

Back