#20 with three sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I was on 20 yesterday NOL-ATL and we had three Viewliners. Two were occupied out of NOL and were totally booked save for about four rooms. Was this third sleeper added to account for the sleeper demand out of ATL since the regular sleepers were already mostly full? Train had over 100 pax upon arriving in ATL and it looked like at least 50+ were in the ATL waiting room ready to board.

I hope it is a regular thing. I was looking at booking a trip up north next month and there were only a few days in the entire month that had any room available.

I saw 19 depart yesterday (5/22) with three Viewliners. Crossed it between Newark and Metropark. 97 also had three Viewliners as usual. Yesterday 49 left New York with 4 Coaches, Diner, 2 Viewliners and a baggage car. 449 had baggage, Viewliner, 2 Coaches and a Horizon Dinette. Saw them both at ALB. 48 had the same consist as 49 and we crossed it near Hudson. It was running a bit behind schedule as far as I could tell. I was on the northbound Ethan Allen running on time.

I was on yesterday's 19. It had three Viewliners and was fully occupied. I was in the second sleeper car and I think the third car

may have been revenue passengers and crew. I didn't go into the car, but I know when we stopped in Washington, there were

passengers coming out of the car. I also noticed crew walking through my car back to the third car.

This is great... the Crescent needs more sleeper space... but it does beg the question... where did the extra cars come from? One of the Silver trains?

I saw 20 today on my way home from work today. Couldn't tell how many sleepers were on the bottom, but there was definitely a Norfolk Southern business car on there.

Definitely working late, but going in late too. The beauty of being the only person in the office on a Sunday, it doesn't matter what time you're there.

I was on 20 yesterday NOL-ATL and we had three Viewliners. Two were occupied out of NOL and were totally booked save for about four rooms. Was this third sleeper added to account for the sleeper demand out of ATL since the regular sleepers were already mostly full? Train had over 100 pax upon arriving in ATL and it looked like at least 50+ were in the ATL waiting room ready to board.
It doesn't appear that the Crescent is running with three sleepers any longer.

The ''Silvers'' volume of pax would have dropped off since early May, end of traditionnal winter season for Florida....A logical source for a 3rd sleepeer for Crescent....till Late October.

Cheers

C

19 today was running with but a single sleeper. 20 was running 2.
WOW! We go from one extreme to the other. We're still a very long way from the 20 plus car trains that the Southern ran over the identical route...my only thoughts on three sleepers all summer would be that coach pax would have a slim chance of getting into the diner the second lunch on #20 and the one and only call for dinner on #19 between Laurel & Hattiesburg.

I suspect that if 3 or 4 Viewliners somehow become available due to more aggressive scheduling of maintenance etc. such would get assigned to the Lake Shore Limited and not the Crescent on a regular basis.

I suspect that if 3 or 4 Viewliners somehow become available due to more aggressive scheduling of maintenance etc. such would get assigned to the Lake Shore Limited and not the Crescent on a regular basis.
I can agree with that but would like to take it one step further. Why can't the LSL consist, with a Heritage diner, turn into the Crescent much like the City and Eagle have done in the past?

I can agree with that but would like to take it one step further. Why can't the LSL consist, with a Heritage diner, turn into the Crescent much like the City and Eagle have done in the past?
Mainly because if Amtrak wants to turn the LSL into any train, it will be one of the Silver's so as to get the cars down to their home base at the Hialiah shops.

A sleeper was "Bad Ordered' at the last minute prior to departure from New Orleans on 21 May. The one that is referenced here is for bringing that car back up north for maintainance.

A sleeper was "Bad Ordered' at the last minute prior to departure from New Orleans on 21 May. The one that is referenced here is for bringing that car back up north for maintainance.
It ran with three for a few days. Northbound on the 24th, there were three. Southbound on the 24th, there were two. Northbound on the 23rd, there was one.

A bad order (or two), and equipment moves or special occasion car additions.

Mainly because if Amtrak wants to turn the LSL into any train, it will be one of the Silver's so as to get the cars down to their home base at the Hialiah shops.
The line numbers on 49 often read "9140, 9141", etc. for just that reason.

The ''Silvers'' volume of pax would have dropped off since early May, end of traditionnal winter season for Florida....A logical source for a 3rd sleepeer for Crescent....till Late October.Cheers

C
What? The Silver Trains would be running with more passengers for Summer Vacationers right now... unless someone has some nunmbers that prove otherwise I would think that Silver Trains are in high demand all summer.

The ''Silvers'' volume of pax would have dropped off since early May, end of traditionnal winter season for Florida....A logical source for a 3rd sleepeer for Crescent....till Late October.Cheers

C
What? The Silver Trains would be running with more passengers for Summer Vacationers right now... unless someone has some nunmbers that prove otherwise I would think that Silver Trains are in high demand all summer.
I thought the summer was the slow season for Florida. Right?

C
Surely you jest!

C

I am not sure exactly how it plays out these days. But I know, way back when, before Amtrak, there was a huge, I mean huge influx of somewhat wealthy passengers riding the extra sleeping cars to spend part of the winter in Florida. Known as snow birds. Of course sleeping cars usually held only about half as many people as coaches. So maybe it was not as many extra people as it looked like.

It seemed to me, in the past, that snow birds outnumbered the summer vacationers. I think you still see some of that today on the auto train.

Last edited by a moderator:

C
Surely you jest!
Here are the ridership numbers for the combined Silver's from the last fiscal year:

• Oct - 59,109
  • Nov - 58,418
  • Dec - 63,448
  • Jan - 50,934
  • Feb - 48,211
  • Mar - 59,396
  • Apr - 59,010
  • May - 64,162
  • Jun - 61,351
  • Jul - 67,274
  • Aug - 65,527
  • Sep - 50,706