2011 Adirondack dome car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dino

My gf and I just booked a round trip from Washington to Montreal from Oct. 6-11. The reservation agent did not yet know the schedule for the dome car that is attached to the Adirondack. This is her first Amtrak trip to anywhere outside the NE corridor, so I want it to be special. Any Amtrak employees out there in the know so we can adjust our plans accordingly?

I have not heard anything yet, but usually it's sometime in Sept to mid October! Based on the last few years, it operated northbound from ALB to MTR on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It operated southbound from MTR to ALB on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. It never operated on Wednesday.

Hope this helps, and have a fun trip!
cool.gif

I thought I heard here at AU some scuttle-butt that the dome was not coming east this year? But, since we are on the subject, when has it been on the Cardinal in past years?

For what its worth I saw the dome in beech grove last month. It was supposed to be apart of the NRHS trips with the 4449, but was "unavailable" for some reason towards the last minute. The NRHS train ended up using a full dome from the Mountaineer I believe, along with other private cars and Amtrak cars.

I wonder if there is some reason it can't currently run.

For what its worth I saw the dome in beech grove last month. It was supposed to be apart of the NRHS trips with the 4449, but was "unavailable" for some reason towards the last minute. The NRHS train ended up using a full dome from the Mountaineer I believe, along with other private cars and Amtrak cars.

NRHS 4449 trip (and the friends of 4449 trips to Wishram) used the Rio Grande Scenic's ex-Holland America, exx-Santa Fe (I think) Big Dome.

Ahh! Interesting.

NRHS 4449 trip (and the friends of 4449 trips to Wishram) used the Rio Grande Scenic's ex-Holland America, exx-Santa Fe (I think) Big Dome.

Ahh! Interesting.

Also the Plaza Santa Fe, ex-Super Chief Pleasure Dome, the Silver Lariat and the Silver Solarium, ex-CZ domes.

Ahh! Interesting.

Also the Plaza Santa Fe, ex-Super Chief Pleasure Dome, the Silver Lariat and the Silver Solarium, ex-CZ domes.
Was it an ex-rated trip?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

(Sorry, I've been up a long time!
wacko.gif
)

Ahh! Interesting.

Was it an ex-rated trip?
huh.gif

:lol: :giggle: :lol:

(Sorry, I've been up a long time!
wacko.gif
)
Really? You seem to be normal for yourself! :help: :rolleyes: :giggle: :lol: :wub:

Aloha

I thought I heard here at AU some scuttle-butt that the dome was not coming east this year? But, since we are on the subject, when has it been on the Cardinal in past years?
It's been on the Adirondack for the past 3 or 4 years... however was on the Cardinal for the first time last year.

While I have never done it on the Adirondack, I did it for a round-trip on the Cardinal last year... and it was such an awesome experience being up there at night watching the signals change. It's one of my favorite memories on Amtrak. I am hoping it will be on the Cardinal again this year... if not... I will try and swing a trip to Upstate New York. I'd rather do the Cardinal because it means more "dome time" (22 hours) on the Cardinal vs. Adirondack (6 hours)... and because it would be out of Chicago (near where I live) and I'd take it to New York (where my step-sister lives and I'd have a free place to stay) vs. the hassles of going up to Montreal.

It's been on the Adirondack for the past 3 or 4 years... however was on the Cardinal for the first time last year.

While I have never done it on the Adirondack, I did it for a round-trip on the Cardinal last year... and it was such an awesome experience being up there at night watching the signals change. It's one of my favorite memories on Amtrak. I am hoping it will be on the Cardinal again this year... if not... I will try and swing a trip to Upstate New York. I'd rather do the Cardinal because it means more "dome time" (22 hours) on the Cardinal vs. Adirondack (6 hours)... and because it would be out of Chicago (near where I live) and I'd take it to New York (where my step-sister lives and I'd have a free place to stay) vs. the hassles of going up to Montreal.
BTW, no official word from Amtrak yet... I have my "inside sources" at Amtrak on alert for any information... so I can book my trip ASAP.

Rumors are it might NOT return on the Cardinal because of the problems that happened in 2010... mainly the fact it was involved in the MARC Derailment on 11/5 and while it didn't get damaged, it was close to it happening... and also the fact that the conductors on #50 (10/30) didn't know the car was supposed to be opened the public and it created some issues.

I hope its not true because I am saving money and time to get a roomette on #50 with the dome again this fall...

FYI, when I clicked on the link from "guest conductor seth" it set off my antivirus warning me about some threat on that page. I'm not that tech savvy so I don't know what it was or what it means, just wanted to let people know.

FYI, when I clicked on the link from "guest conductor seth" it set off my antivirus warning me about some threat on that page. I'm not that tech savvy so I don't know what it was or what it means, just wanted to let people know.
Hmm, I had no problems when I followed that link earlier today. Probably just an Ad that the anti-virus program didn't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I clicked on that link and read the page, my intrusion detector on my laptop blocked a Malicious Toolkit Website 9 attempt from u58d.info. Oh well..... I have no idea what that intrusion would have resulted in, but Norton for some reason does not think it is good.

Posted on Facebook.

Amtrak Announces 2011 Fall Foliage Schedule for Adirondack and Cardinal Trains Featuring Amtrak's "Great Dome"

by Amtrak on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 5:49am

Fall Foliage Schedule

The Adirondack and Cardinal will once again feature Amtrak's full-length "Great Dome" car for the 2011 fall foliage season. The "Great Dome" car features an upper level with windows on all sides as well as overhead to provide passengers with panoramic views of the changing colors of the trees and passing scenery.

September 15 through October 23, 2011 the car will operate on the Adirondack;

• Train 69 (northbound) from Albany to Montreal on Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays.
  • Train 68 (southbound) from Montreal to Albany on Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays.
  • No dome car trips are made on Wednesdays.
October 29 through November 11, 2011 the car will operate Washington - Chicago on the Cardinal;

• Train 51 (westbound) originating on Fridays.
  • Train 50 (eastbound) originating on Saturdays.
The Dome Car cannot operate between Albany and New York, or between Washington and New York, due to clearance restrictions. All passengers traveling on either route are welcome to enter the dome car to enjoy the view. Seats in the dome car are not reserved and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Visit www.amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL to make your reservations on these special trains. Passengers riding the Adirondack can take advantage of the I Love NY 15% discount off the regular (full) adult rail fare. The offer is valid for sale through May 28, 2012. Advance reservations are required. In addition, up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each adult at half the discounted rail fare. This offer is available exclusively at www.iloveny.com.

About the "Great Dome" Car

The refurbished vintage car dates back to 1955 and has a dome section that runs the full length of the car, a rare feature, even when dome cars were more numerous on the nation's railroads. In addition, the "Great Dome" car has been freshly re-painted in honor of Amtrak's 40th Anniversary. The Amtrak Phase III paint scheme this car once again wears is comprised of equal red, white and blue stripes, symbolic of Amtrak being America's Railroad.

296665_10150309602664014_9411224013_7838019_300990986_n.jpg

Amtrak "Great Dome" 10031 in retro Phase III paint. Photo: Mike Milburn, Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thought on the repaint/rehab job on the great Dome: Shouldnt the word "Lounge" be taken off since there is no food or beverage service of any kind on this car and really nowhere to "Lounge" except the Dome up top :blink: !

One thought on the repaint/rehab job on the great Dome: Shouldnt the word "Lounge" be taken off since there is no food or beverage service of any kind on this car and really nowhere to "Lounge" except the Dome up top :blink: !

Whether or not they use it, the lower level of the car is set up for food service (at least it was the last time I was on it), making it a lounge car.

well, theoretically you could "lounge" in the booths in the lower level, despite them not using the food service element of the car.

rode on it yesterday! it was super fun and a real treat. I found a seat way up front, just behind the front windows. I found myself totally entranced by actually being able to see ahead of the train! you get a good idea of how the Adirondack winds through the woods. the views were great. I took some photos but as I am away from home (I rode all the way to NYP and will be sightseeing today) I haven't had a chance to upload them yet. But soon! I promise!

Rumors are it might NOT return on the Cardinal because of the problems that happened in 2010... .. and also the fact that the conductors on #50 (10/30) didn't know the car was supposed to be opened the public and it created some issues.
If this is true, you would think Amtrak would want to get it back on the Cardinal as quick as possible. Are conductors not trainable?

Can someone confirm the hours of operation for the dome when it is attached to the Cardinal and if it will be added to the front or rear of the consist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back