2013 S, S+ & SE Packets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also: why would those passes not work on sleepers? The price of the sleeper is the same whether it one or two people in them...
I can only guess that the powers that be decided that they wanted that extra sleeper revenue, so they dis-allowed using the coupons for that.

Remember that Amtrak loses a lot more in some sense with the sleeper vs. the coach seat. Yes, in theory the cost of the meals are included in the price of the room, but still would be getting a free seat in the room and free meals if they allowed it. One doesn't get a free meal in coach or BC.

And while the coupon does work on Acela, if you want FC on Acela, then both people must pay the FC upcharge. You only get the free BC seat or free railfare.

I went inside the New York ClubAcela many times with my temporary print out S+ card. A couple times to wait for NJT Trains, doing a SubwayNut.com project over there, plus picking up and dropping people off on trains and even just for the clean bathroom in midtown. I still haven't gotten on an Amtrak train in Penn Station yet this year. The reason I'm S+ is from traveling the country on Amtrak last year, my only Amtrak trip so far has been DEN to SLC that yielded me no special S+ privileges, if only NYC had cheeper points runs (like the amazing runs from Philly on the Keystone).
The agents never batted and eye with my temporary print out card (that I even cut out to fit in my wallet and simply wrote my name and S+ in their logbook). The last time I went in I couldn't find the little piece of paper I cut out and put in my wallet so I showed the agent my 2012 Select card and she spent thirty seconds looking me up and double-checking on her computer and let me in.
Well despite some of the posts that I've seen from people complaining about the NYP CA, those agents actually do know their stuff. Some can appear a bit gruff at times, but almost all actually do know how to work RailRes and the rules on things. Chicago seems to have far bigger problems than just surly agents in the Metro Lounge; they seem to forget that they have a computer and what the rules actually are.

I find the NYP Club Acela ladies to be very knowledgeable. Sometimes they are a little short because they are a) New Yorkers and b) things get busy in there. But I had a lovely chat with Janice (I think?! maybe around 50 years old, african american) the last time I was there and the club was empty. She was really quite nice. I think they just get so busy that they don't have time for pleasantries. They are just very transactional there.

I like the agents at ClubAcela Washington. I'm only there less than half the time I am in Chicago. Yet, they all know my name, greet me by my name everytime, and even sign me into the lounge with needing to show ticket or card. It's very nice to be in a personable place like that.

I like the agents at ClubAcela Washington. I'm only there less than half the time I am in Chicago. Yet, they all know my name, greet me by my name everytime, and even sign me into the lounge with needing to show ticket or card. It's very nice to be in a personable place like that.
This is why so many AU members can't believe that the Metropolitan Lounge has been opened to BC. The agents there couldn't handle their jobs BEFORE this happened... that, and the physical facility is already overflowing at times.

Sounds like you were talking to Joyce to me, amamba. In general, I find that the ClubAcela employees have all been very professional, if not always warm. In NY, they are some of the best resources for getting tickets. They know the ins and outs of the system, and can even give me tips I find helpful, despite knowing great deal about what I am doing. (I learned this week that the H880 ClubAcela/10% off coupons are not valid in Y or A buckets.)

This is why so many AU members can't believe that the Metropolitan Lounge has been opened to BC. The agents there couldn't handle their jobs BEFORE this happened... that, and the physical facility is already overflowing at times.
Now I see what everyone's driving at here. Well, on top of them opening it to BC, they only have one person there working at a time. Also, can you purchase tickets in there? I've always been so irritated by the people I just step out and go to the ticket counter. Either irritated or the line is just so long to talk to them, longer than the lines at the ticket office. How stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see what everyone's driving at here. Well, on top of them opening it to BC, they only have one person there working at a time. Also, can you purchase tickets in there? I've always been so irritated by the people I just step out and go to the ticket counter. Either irritated or the line is just so long to talk to them, longer than the lines at the ticket office. How stupid.
They have the ability to issue tickets; getting them to actually do it may be another matter. But an agent in the Met Lounge in CHI can do anything that an agent in the CA in NYP can do. The big thing is that none of the lounge agents have a cash draw, so it is credit card only.

Mind you most people these days aren't paying cash anyhow for their tickets, even though Amtrak still does see some cash business.

Sounds like you were talking to Joyce to me, amamba. In general, I find that the ClubAcela employees have all been very professional, if not always warm. In NY, they are some of the best resources for getting tickets. They know the ins and outs of the system, and can even give me tips I find helpful, despite knowing great deal about what I am doing. (I learned this week that the H880 ClubAcela/10% off coupons are not valid in Y or A buckets.)
Yup, I agree that sounds like Joyce. She knows me and my mom so well that when I'm traveling without mom in tow, Joyce will ask me how my mom is doing.

Another excellent agent is Bernard. Bernard works the morning shift, but he's very efficient and knows his stuff. And he's generally still polite, even when harried.

Someone missed in the CA is William, for reasons unknown he now seems to be working gates and other things. But it was always nice to see him behind the desk. He even made it a point addressing you by name as he handed back your ticket or Select Plus card. :)

It seems like every time I am in the CA in NYP, the agents are harried, but they are always pleasant to me and efficient.

Most of my connections are through WAS and there was one time I was the only person in the lounge (waiting for 66). I have had extremely good luck with the agents there (except the time that Dave and Jim wanted to visit with me 2 years ago and the agent would only let one in - but then again, would YOU let both Dave and Jim into a lounge - LOL).

Back