21 airlines fined for fixing passenger, cargo fees

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
WASHINGTON (AP) — When the airline industry took a nose dive a decade ago, executives at global carriers scrambled to find a quick fix to avoid financial ruin. What they came up with, according to federal prosecutors, was a massive price-fixing scheme among airlines that artificially inflated passenger and cargo fuel surcharges between 2000 and 2006 to make up for lost profits.
http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9LP4TQG1%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1014
I think some corporations took the Class 1's to task for fuel surcharges in the way of lawsuits. Anybody know if there was any outcome?

I heard a news story that said that since airlines are now charging for baggage, more people are carrying on their luggage. This is causing longer lines at checkpoints, so TSA may have to hire more screeners. And this may increase the "Security Fee" added to your ticket!
blink.gif

More reasons not to fly and take Amtrak instead!
biggrin.gif

Also didn't some airlines also charge you $5 per carry-on then charge another $5 to pay the initial $5 fee?

Last edited by a moderator:
On recent trips I couldnt help but notice all the carry ons!
That's because for passengers to check that first bag would cost them $25 on average!
ohmy.gif
So they carry it on!

I remember on one of my (very few) flights, my traveling partner was made to check his bag (for $25) because it wouldn't fit in the (commuter airline) overhead bin. When I got out to the plane with my carry-on, I was told that I needed to store it below (in the luggage compartment). So our bags went to the same place - except he was forced to pay $25 and mine was free!
blink.gif

BTW - The connecting flight was on a 757 - which had plenty of carry-on storage space.
mad.gif

That's because for passengers to check that first bag would cost them $25 on average!
ohmy.gif
So they carry it on!

I remember on one of my (very few) flights, my traveling partner was made to check his bag (for $25) because it wouldn't fit in the (commuter airline) overhead bin. When I got out to the plane with my carry-on, I was told that I needed to store it below (in the luggage compartment). So our bags went to the same place - except he was forced to pay $25 and mine was free!
blink.gif

BTW - The connecting flight was on a 757 - which had plenty of carry-on storage space.
mad.gif
Was his bag the same size as yours? Usually if you can get your bag through security, and you are forced to check it, they will not charge you. (Checking a bag is different from valet tagging it) But if your friends bag was the same size, then that was not right if he was forced to check it.

ohmy.gif
So they carry it on!

blink.gif

mad.gif
Was his bag the same size as yours? Usually if you can get your bag through security, and you are forced to check it, they will not charge you. (Checking a bag is different from valet tagging it) But if your friends bag was the same size, then that was not right if he was forced to check it.
That's what I was thinking too. Gate check for puddle jumpers normally do not cost anything even for those that who would otherise have to pay for checking bags.

Back