3/4 to Detour via Amarillo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, that was me as the Guest.

How did you find this info out? I would love to go get some pics. Any idea where and when in Amarillo they will be coming through?

Hey Guys,

I truly don't know, with these detours as I have learned while waiting for 7/8 it is truly unpredictable. But if this helps here is the routing. On the East End, the detour will start at First Street (Newton, KS) and operate via the Third District to Mulvane (via Wichita) and swing on to the Forth District/Panhandle to Amarillo and points west. Left ABQ at 14:00.

This won't effect qswager and Printman but,

Detour Update:

BNSF has rejected the detour route between Newton and Mulvane via the Third District (account directional running). Passenger Trains will detour at Elinor via the Belen Cutoff missing the Newton stop.

Last minute change by BNSF has forced Amtrak to cab passenger between Newton and Topeka for eastern connections, no western connections provided.

Easy to see that Amtrak/BNSF has forgotten the Emporia stop and fact a platform still exists for convenient connections to/from Newton.......

I talked to a friend who is a local BNSF conducter, at least on train (Eastbound) should be coming through Amarillo between 9-12 tonight. He said his contact told him to eastbounds were coming through.

Real railfans don't make excuses Greg, they just do it. :p Just kidding, enjoy the snow!

Darnit! I'm unable to go out there due to snowy conditions. Well, maybe next time.
Real railfans don't make excuses Greg, they just do it. :p Just kidding, enjoy the snow!
That's why I love my Subaru. :) As long as everyone else doesn't block the road with their stuck cars, I'm moving. :D
So is mine (Chevy 4x4 pick-up). Unfortunately, I'll have to drive 35 miles in rural area. Maybe tomorrow.

BTW, how do I keep track of alternative route and time for SWC 4(29) into Clovis, NM?

I have a big report here...

I have lived in Amarillo for almost two years now. The news that the Southwest Chief was passing through here was enough to get me out on the TransCon to wait for them. After a call to a BNSF friend, I learned to expect the Eastbound Chief anywhere from 9-12 tonight.

After a little searching, I found me a good spot to wait on the south city limit of Amarillo. I expected a long wait starting at about 9:20pm. The first train to pass was a freight (the first of many, so I thought). The next came about 10 minutes later. When I could finally see the headlights, I thought they looked different and sure enough, the Chief entered Amarillo, Texas at 9:40pm.

This is the first time for me to see an Amtrak train passing me. She was gliding like silk on those rails ans was so quiet and smooth. It was awesome!

I decided to give chase. I was driving next to her when I passed within less than a quarter mile from my house. I cannot believe an Amtrak train is right down the street from my house. I never thought I would see the day!

The road left the track side so I tried to speed ahead. I go to downtown Amarillo and drove next to the big BNSF yard next to downtown. I waited and waited and she never came. I was feeling disappointed that I had let her get by me. As I was headed back home, I followed some back streets near the tracks. I was driving down and underpass that goes below the Transcon an loe and behold, there is a stinkin Amtrak diner (and the rest of the train) parked on the track above the underpass. I drove around and ended up parking about 15 yards from the locomotives.

Now, this is my interpretation of what was going on. Please correct me if I am wrong. Apparently, the Amtrak crew was out of time and they needed a switch. However, since there are no Amtrak crews in Amarillo, they were going to have to use a BNSF crew. I am assuming that crew could not operate the Amtrak locos because they lashed up a little BNSF engine to the front of the two Amtrak locos (I thought they used three on the SWC?) I sat with the train for about 40 minutes when I finally pulled out. I followed it through downtown right past the old Sante Fe passenger terminal. She then sped up out of town.

I had my camera, however, it is just a little consumer camera and the night mode is very picky about movement. Since it is very cold and I was in some freezing rain, my shivering kept me from a very good pic. I have two I will post. The first shows the parked lead loco and the second is with the BNSF loco attached. It was a pretty old looking loco. Still painted in BN green and black.

amtrakinamarillo.jpg

amtrakinamarillo2.jpg

If anyone has any info on any of the other trains passing through, be sure to post it. It took this train about 7.5 hours to get here from ABQ.

UPDATE:

Topeka - Wellington - Waynoka - Amarillo - Clovis - Belen - Albuquerque

Train 3 departing Chicago 12/29, 12/30 will take this route

Train 4 departing Los Angles 12/28, 12/29, 12/30 will take this route.

There is the possibility 3(31) and 4(31) might take this. It is a total mess out there.

That an awesome sight for you to see! I hope I'll have a chance tonight. There's some snow on the ground, but I'll take a chance.

Since you said that the SWC train arrived at 9:40 pm CST (8:40 pm MST). I'll try to get into Clovis at 6 pm MST.

That an awesome sight for you to see! I hope I'll have a chance tonight. There's some snow on the ground, but I'll take a chance.
Since you said that the SWC train arrived at 9:40 pm CST (8:40 pm MST). I'll try to get into Clovis at 6 pm MST.

Looks like I'm still stuck. The major highway to Clovis is still closed. Hopefully tomorrow.

AmtrakFan, please let me know if SWC is still on detoured route tomorrow (Sunday).

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to go out again last night and watch for the #4 SWC. I parked in the same spot on the edge of town. I go there about 8:15pm and did not see any trains until after 9. At about 10:15, I was about to give up when I saw anohter headlight. Decided to wait and sure enough, #4 entered Amarillo at about 10:25pm last night (12/30/06).

I decided to take chase, but the roads were kinda icey so I could not go as fast as the night before. I did get a good glimpse of her in the distance where I could see the whole train. Man, she was a pretty site for those of us that never get to see passenger trains.

She got well ahead of me so I headed for the spot she stopped at last night for a crew change. It was not there, however, I drove a little further and they had stopped right next to the BNSF depot and control tower.

01amtrakinamarillo12-30-06.jpg

02amtrakinamarillo12-30-06.jpg

The sleepers were parked right under I-40. They made one short move while I was there. I guess they where making a crew change and then pulled forward so the door to the transition sleeper was right at the depot. They were not hooking up and BNSF locos so I guess they prepared by getting an Amtrak crew here.

Anyway, if the weather is not too bad tonight, I may go out again. I mean, how often is this going to happen, right? Might as well take advantage while it is!

I still have not figured out when #3 is coming through. I noticed amtrak.com showed it arriving in Albuquerque at 6:05pm yesterday. Since it is taking #4 about 7-8 hours to get here, that would put #3 in Amarillo around 10-11am. Will not be able to catch that today, but maybe tomorrow. I would love to see it in the daylight.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back