3 hour bus ride or a extra day at Disneyworld?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
So I was having lunch when my cell phone rang. it was a 866 number. I answered and it was a pre-recorded message. My return trip in mid September from Orlando Station to NY Penn now starts with a bus ride from Orlando to Jacksonville, a 3 plus hour trip.

I blame Penny. She caused the Sunrail track work to be extended into September after promising me it wont. :mellow:

The pre-recorded message didn't explain if the bus would be picking me up at Orlando or what. I suspected it would, but it would be nice to hear a person say that. So I waited till a person a person answered and they confirmed that a bus will be waiting at the station to take me to Jacksonville.

I wasn't thrilled at this point. First, I am paying for a roomette. I don't want to sit in a bus. I take two pieces of luggage, a standard large suitcase and a backpack. Since I am solo in the roomette, I keep the luggage with me, I don't check it. So how will this work now. I tried to ask the person on the phone. She kept talking carry on, but I am saying suitcase.

Then what about lunch? When I board the Silver Meteor, its lunch time. They said they may serve sandwiches. I will also get some type of refund. Still not happy.

So how about turning lemons into lemonade? or so the expression goes. I was booked to leave on a Sunday. How about if I left the next day, Monday, instead? Yes, I can, and its even cheaper to leave that Monday, about $77 less.

But what to do about staying at Disney? How much more would another nights stay and another days theme park admission be? Can I make a decent dining reservation? So I called Disney reservations and ask. With the money I was saving from Amtrak, the difference was about $50. Sounded like a no brainer.

I called back Amtrak, but I only saved $71. Not sure of what happened here? Then I called Disney, added the extra day, but now it cost me $23 more then it did 20 minutes ago. But its too late to go back.

I will skip over the 2 hours it took me to try to figure out where to eat that Sunday :mellow: I wound up eating at Epcot for lunch. With a little more then a month and a half to go, all the better places are fully booked. I made my original reservations back in March. But I did find a place that was acceptable.

Only two things left to do, inform the car service to pick me up from my resort a day later. That went ok.

Due to work related injuries, I can no longer walk for a long period of time anymore. I can only tour Disneyworld in a scooter. So I called the scooter company and informed them to extend my rental by a day. This didn't go well either. While they told me the difference of another day was $15, I was paying about $30 more. So later in the day I called back and they fixed that.

Bruce

See you all on Chat this Sunday.. so you can laugh at me then ;)

I agree you did a wonderful job of analyzing the situation and making a good call, weighing in finances, loss of potential train time and the inconvenience of 3 hours in a bus seat. You know how to take the panic out of travel :)

Laugh at you? Hardly. You handle this with skill and levelheadedness of a seasoned traveler. Enjoy the day in Disney. And enjoy your roomette.
Thanks. :)

I agree you did a wonderful job of analyzing the situation and making a good call, weighing in finances, loss of potential train time and the inconvenience of 3 hours in a bus seat. You know how to take the panic out of travel :)
Thanks. I just couldn't imagine sitting in a bus for 3 hours, but was the luggage issue that bothered me the most. Would they store my rolling piece in the bus, but could I get it before it gets loaded into the baggage car??

And it is all Penny's fault! She owes you lunch! :)
I'm glad you made lemonade out of lemons!
Should I leave it up to Penny to pick a place. Not sure of any good places to eat around Orlando Station :)

Bruce

Penny's fault? Penny who?

I think you made the correct decision about avoiding the bus.

I am on 97 right now running almost 3 hours late due to another disabled train on the NEC. I am happy to be on a train. Amtrak kept us fairly informed but my friends in high places (LOL) did a better job. I am not complaining but I might be if I were on a bus.

Bruce, the dining choices near the ORL station are very limited. Steve can probably attest to the fact that you do not want me to make dining choices for you. :)

Penny's fault? Penny who? I think you made the correct decision about avoiding the bus. I am on 97 right now running almost 3 hours late due to another disabled train on the NEC. I am happy to be on a train. Amtrak kept us fairly informed but my friends in high places (LOL) did a better job. I am not complaining but I might be if I were on a bus. Bruce, the dining choices near the ORL station are very limited. Steve can probably attest to the fact that you do not want me to make dining choices for you. :)
Whats wrong with a Meal from Whole Paycheck Penny?(besides the Price! :eek: ) And since you live so close to the Orlando Station he could enjoy it in the Comfort of Chez Penny while waiting for his Train, even enjoy a couple of Good Beers with his food!!And of course Pennys Limo Service will get him to the Station on time! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back