3 Locos in EB consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No real RR Job
AU Supporting Member
For the third day (12/4-5-6) in a row the EB #7 train has 3 locomotives in the consist - normal compliment 2.

Puzzled Amtrak simple ferrying locos to the West Coast ?
-OR-
An extra locomotive for winter application across the Rockies & Cascades ?

Haven't been able to check on EB #8 if it also has 3 locos.

Not a bad thing; the P42s are really showing their age. I took a trip between Chicago and St. Paul a few years ago. It was bitterly cold and between Chicago and Milwaukee two out of the three broke down and we got to Milwaukee on the last one. They got them all running again in Milwaukee. Got to St. Paul just fine; hopefully they made it over the mountains ok.

This is the reason. BNSF requires a third unit during winter weather due to snow ingestion in the traction motors.

air flows are becoming a real problem right now too with how cold it is on the northern transcon, not to mention P42 aging. better to have a third HEP as a reserve if it’s needed. given the size of the EB consist I doubt they would have a whole lot of issues with air (vs a grain drag or H train) but if I’ve learned anything it’s that anything is possible on the railroad.

The preceding posts are close. The Amtrak P-42s are DC traction motors. Certain types of snow will short out the DC motors. Many observers have noted in winter BNSF has almost all locos on the northern transcon using AC traction. If I was Amtrak in winter I would dispatch the EB with 2 P-40s and 1 ALC-44. That means if the P-42 motors short out in snow the ALC can at least get the Builder to a location where Amtrak can borrow a BNSF loco. One of the P-42s can provide HEP allowing full AC traction from the ALC-44. Amtrak does not have enough ALCs yet to have more than one this winter and probably next winter..

OK - tonight EB #7 3 locos -
Lead loco number 139 - other two reflection in glass could not catch -
There is a different paint scheme here -

So what is the numbering system relative to whether the loco is DC or AC ?
I have seen a span of 2 digit (xx) up to 3 numbering 2xx
Any clue help here ?
Oh and Thanks !

OK - tonight EB #7 3 locos -
Lead loco number 139 - other two reflection in glass could not catch -
There is a different paint scheme here -

So what is the numbering system relative to whether the loco is DC or AC ?
I have seen a span of 2 digit (xx) up to 3 numbering 2xx
Any clue help here ?
Oh and Thanks !
All P42 locomotives are DC motored.

Does anyone happen to know if the actual requirement from BNSF is 3 units across the high plains or 2 units across the Cascades (and they carry the extra unit with them rather than needing a place to park it in Seattle and Spokane)?
Am not aware of a similar requirement for 2 units between Spokane and Portland in winter. (UP had such a requirement on the Pioneer, back in a previous millennium.)

Does anyone happen to know if the actual requirement from BNSF is 3 units across the high plains or 2 units across the Cascades (and they carry the extra unit with them rather than needing a place to park it in Seattle and Spokane)?
I think it's more across the plains and Glacier National Park. But that's my guess

Back