30 days with Amtrak: trip planning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

First of all: many thanks to all of you for contributing to this wonderful forum. I have already read countless interesting stories and tips here.

I've been thinking about travelling through the USA on Amtrak for quite a while now. And my dream might be coming true soon: I will probably be going from mid / end of April until the end of May perhaps even early June. But I still have tons of trip planning to do! This is the itinerary I had in mind, but please, I'm open to all kinds of changes and additions. My questions are in italic, hopefully you guys can help me out on these?

* Day 1: arrival in NYC by plane

* Day 1-4: spending time in NYC

* Day 4 in the morning: Acela Express from Penn Station to Boston

(I saw that there are several Boston stations. Should I opt for Back Bay?)

* Day 4-5: spending time in Boston

* Day 5 in the afternoon: Acela Express from Boston to Philadelphia

* Day 5-6: spending time in Philadelphia

* Day 7 in the morning: Acela Express from Philadelphia to Washington DC

* Day 7-8: spending time in Washington DC

* Day 8 in the evening: Crescent from Washington DC to Atlanta

* Day 9 in the morning: arrival in Atlanta

* Day 10 in the morning: Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans

* Day 11: spending time in New Orleans

* Day 12 in the afternoon: City Of New Orleans from New Orleans to Memphis

* Day 13 in the evening: City Of New Orleans from Memphis to Chicago

* Day 14 in the morning: arrival in Chicago

* Day 15 in the afternoon: California Zephyr to Sacramento

(I saw that there are two Sacramento stations listed. Which one should I take?)

(Is Denver worth a stopover?)

* Day 17 in the afternoon: arrival in Sacramento

* Day 18 in the morning/afternoon: Capitols and bus from Sacramento to San Francisco

* Day 19-20: spending time in San Francisco

* Day 21 in the morning: bus and Coast Starlight from San Francisco to Los Angeles

* Day 22-23: spending time in Los Angeles

(Recommended without renting a car?)

* Day 24 in the morning: Pacific Surfliner from Los Angeles to San Diego

* Day 25: flight from San Diego to Las Vegas

* Spending some days in Vegas and then back home...

My main “issue” with this itinerary is that I’m not seeing any of the nort / northwest states like Montana, Washington (Seattle!), Oregon,... I could do those instead of the Chicago  Sacramento trip. Yet Colorado seems to be beautiful on board an Amtrak train. Any thoughts?

My second issue: if I buy a 30 day pass, I still have five days left to spend. What would you recommend? Additional stops? Longer stays in certain places? Or maybe a completely different route? All opinions are welcome! THANKS! :D

(I saw that there are several Boston stations. Should I opt for Back Bay?)* Day 4-5: spending time in Boston

Greetings:

There are four train stations in Boston: South Station, Back Bay, North Station, and Route 128. I'd get off at the one closest to your hotel or other accomodation.

North Station (BON) handles the Downeaster train to Maine only. No Acela service here so there is no reason to worry about it.

South Station (BOS) is right downtown Boston. This is the end of the line for the Acela.

Back Bay (BBY) is about a mile from South Station and is located near Boston's upscale shopping are dining areas. There are many hotels near BBY and they are all $$$BIG BUCKS$$$.

Route 128 (RTE) isnt really in Boston. It is in the city of Norwood, a suburb about 20 miles down the tracks from BOS or BBY. Hotels are cheaper here than BOS or BBY, and for your railfanning pleasure, the MBTA commuter trains run to BOS or BBY from here.

Finally, I'd check the terms and conditions on that pass. I would be surprised if it is valid for travel on the Acela. You can still travel on Amtrak in the northeast, you will travel on the Acela's older and uglier sister: the Regional.

Rick

Finally, I'd check the terms and conditions on that pass. I would be surprised if it is valid for travel on the Acela. You can still travel on Amtrak in the northeast, you will travel on the Acela's older and uglier sister: the Regional.
Thanks for the info on Boston's train stations, Rick!

And you were right about the Acela: it's not included in the railpass. But that's alright. Regional will do. Two years ago I took the Pennsylvanian from Harrisburg to NYC and found that to be a very pleasant experience as well. I believe it runs from NYC to Philadelphia so I might consider this train as well.

Hello everyone
First of all: many thanks to all of you for contributing to this wonderful forum. I have already read countless interesting stories and tips here.

I've been thinking about travelling through the USA on Amtrak for quite a while now. And my dream might be coming true soon: I will probably be going from mid / end of April until the end of May perhaps even early June. But I still have tons of trip planning to do! This is the itinerary I had in mind, but please, I'm open to all kinds of changes and additions. My questions are in italic, hopefully you guys can help me out on these?

* Day 1: arrival in NYC by plane

* Day 1-4: spending time in NYC

* Day 4 in the morning: Acela Express from Penn Station to Boston

(I saw that there are several Boston stations. Should I opt for Back Bay?)

* Day 4-5: spending time in Boston

* Day 5-6: spending time in Philadelphia

* Day 7 in the morning: Acela Express from Philadelphia to Washington DC

* Day 7-8: spending time in Washington DC

* Day 8 in the evening: Crescent from Washington DC to Atlanta

* Day 9 in the morning: arrival in Atlanta

* Day 10 in the morning: Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans

* Day 11: spending time in New Orleans

* Day 12 in the afternoon: City Of New Orleans from New Orleans to Memphis

* Day 13 in the evening: City Of New Orleans from Memphis to Chicago

* Day 14 in the morning: arrival in Chicago

* Day 15 in the afternoon: California Zephyr to Sacramento

(I saw that there are two Sacramento stations listed. Which one should I take?)

(Is Denver worth a stopover?)

* Day 17 in the afternoon: arrival in Sacramento

* Day 18 in the morning/afternoon: Capitols and bus from Sacramento to San Francisco

* Day 19-20: spending time in San Francisco

* Day 21 in the morning: bus and Coast Starlight from San Francisco to Los Angeles

* Day 22-23: spending time in Los Angeles

(Recommended without renting a car?)

* Day 24 in the morning: Pacific Surfliner from Los Angeles to San Diego

* Day 25: flight from San Diego to Las Vegas

* Spending some days in Vegas and then back home...

My main “issue” with this itinerary is that I’m not seeing any of the nort / northwest states like Montana, Washington (Seattle!), Oregon,... I could do those instead of the Chicago  Sacramento trip. Yet Colorado seems to be beautiful on board an Amtrak train. Any thoughts?

My second issue: if I buy a 30 day pass, I still have five days left to spend. What would you recommend? Additional stops? Longer stays in certain places? Or maybe a completely different route? All opinions are welcome! THANKS! :D
I have lived 26 years in the Atlanta area, I would be happy to recommend what to see while in Hotlanta

Thanks for the info on Boston's train stations, Rick!

And you were right about the Acela: it's not included in the railpass. But that's alright. Regional will do. Two years ago I took the Pennsylvanian from Harrisburg to NYC and found that to be a very pleasant experience as well. I believe it runs from NYC to Philadelphia so I might consider this train as well.
I don't know that you want to increase your budget, but I believe that one can pay an upgrade price to ride Acela. Not sure how much that would be, nor if it would be worth it to you to do it both ways. I could however see doing it in one direction, just to experience the ride and the better views that the large windows provide.

Something you might consider from San Francisco to LA would be to take Cal-Train from downtown San Fran to San Jose and board the Coast Starlight there. Another train and one less bus!

Thanks for the kind replies so far! Keep 'em coming! ;)

XNWA: I'd love to get some tips for Atlanta! As for now, only CNN and Coca Cola are on my list. You'd recommend these?

AlanB: I might indeed check whether it's possible to upgrade to Acela. Then I could for example ride it from NYC to Boston and take the Regional on the way back to Philly

MrFSS: Thanks, I didn't know about the Cal Train. I looked up the website and it seems to be very interesting. And the price is right too: only $6.75 one-way if I'm not mistaken. And hey, it saves from having to take a Greyhound bus. That's also why I'd like to fly from San Diego to Las Vegas... don't like the thought of a bus trip to Sin City.

gswager: Good to hear that I will be able to get around in LA without a car. I had always heard that you're nowhere without a car in that city. Anyhow, I think I'll be visiting the main tourist attractions like Venice Beach, Universal Studios, Sunset Boulevard,... Any particular sights I shouldn't miss?

you needn't take a Greyhound bus from San Diego to Vegas - simply take the Surfliner to L.A., then the Amtrak Thruway bus to Vegas...

you needn't take a Greyhound bus from San Diego to Vegas - simply take the Surfliner to L.A., then the Amtrak Thruway bus to Vegas...
Oh, stupid me. I always thought that Amtrak and Greyhound were cooperating so that the Amtrak Thruway bus was in fact a Greyhound service. But it isn't? Now that's good news. Thanks!

This means that day 25 might look like this:

7:05am: Pacific Surfliner from San Diego

9:50am: arrival Pacific Surfliner in LA

10:10am: Thruway bus from LA to Las Vegas

4:00pm: arrival Thruway bus in Las Vegas

Excellent. But there's only 20 minutes between the arrival and departure time in LA. What are the chances of the Surfliner running late?

Hey there,

Ah, the excitement of planning a big rail pass trip, I remember it well :D This time last year I was in your shoes (and you can find some the posts I made on this forum by searching my username in thread starters, see this post in particular). My trip went through numerous different permutations before I finally settled on

Montréal -> Schenectady -> Chicago -> Denver -> San Francisco -> Santa Barbara -> Seattle -> Vancouver -> Edmonton -> Winnipeg -> Churchill -> Winnipeg -> Toronto -> Montréal (to check the mail and feed the cats) -> Halifax -> Montréal

And if you've sixteen hours free, you can read the whole shebang on the blog that I wrote while on the road:

jamesbrownontherails.blogspot.com

You shouldn't feel too bad about missing certain parts of the country. It is, after all, a fairly big place to cover even in one month. I have about three more fantasy month long rail trips in my mind, and I suspect there would still be places I would end up missing if I did all of them. You probably know in your own mind which places and cities you want to visit the most, so if you can join the dots then you're half way to making your ideal itinerary.

Your trip will also give you some great opportunities to experience different trains, from the Acela to long distance single level trains and long distance Superliner trains. I'd definitely recommend the upgrade to Acela Express at least once just to experience it, but in my humble (and budget conscious opinion) it's probably not worth upgrading it every time there's a Regional available for free with your rail pass. I don't know where you're from or what your travel experience is, but you shouldn't compare the Acela with a TGV, Thalys or Eurostar - it's fast, but only in comparison to normal Amtrak services :)

Some other thoughts, in no particular order...

- Do you have Amtrak's System Timetable and the Explore America brochure? I spent hours with the printed timetables and maps as it was just a better way of planning the trip for me. You can get them for free with worldwide shipping included from Amtrak's website.

- Do you have USA By Rail by John Pitt? It's getting slightly out of date now, but is still a briliant mile by mile guide to the trains you'll be riding on.

- Are you going to go coach, or will you be tempted by an upgrade or two to sleeper? If you're going in coach (which I always do) then search this forum for discussions about the relative merits of both classes and how to sleep well in coach class.

- And do you have to fly into NYC? You could probably plan your trip and book flights into the USA around the most convenient start and end points, especially as many airlines are now serving secondary US cities with direct long haul flights.

- And don't forget Canada...! Not only have I found Air Canada routings via Montréal or Toronto to often undercut American carriers to the USA from Europe, the North America Rail Pass covers both countries, and requires that you travel (or at least reserve travel) in both of them. You could very easily top and tail your trip by flying to and from Canada (there are many more cheap charter flights from the UK and France to major Canadian centres than to US hubs), and then start your trip in Montréal or Toronto and then finish your trip riding the Coast Starlight up to Seattle and the Cascades on to Vancouver, BC.

Ok, so maybe I'm biased :D

Happy planning,

*j* :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
James, thanks so much for your kind reply! You know what, I found your incredible travelogue the other day and every free minute I have here at work, I'm reading it. I'm in Chicago now. ;)

I'd definitely recommend the upgrade to Acela Express at least once just to experience it, but in my humble (and budget conscious opinion) it's probably not worth upgrading it every time there's a Regional available for free with your rail pass.
I just checked with my local Amtrak reseller. It's not possible to upgrade to Acela Express when you have a Railpass. But no problem, I've travelled on the Eurostar and Thalys countless times so I won't fret.
Do you have Amtrak's System Timetable and the Explore America brochure?
I don't have that one, but I do have the brochure from the reseller I mentioned previously. Very handy indeed! Thanks anyway for the link.
Do you have USA By Rail by John Pitt?
In fact I came accross that book in a travelbookstore last month. But since it was a 2003 edition (I believe), I didn't buy it. I was kind of afraid that it'd be a little outdated, like you mentioned. Guess I should go back and get it after all.
Are you going to go coach, or will you be tempted by an upgrade or two to sleeper?
Coach it is. Although I'm still in doubt for the Chicago --> Sacramento trip. It's quite a long haul. Maybe I'll go coach until Denver and then move to a roomette from Denver onwards. Would that be a good idea? I don't think I'll have trouble sleeping in coach, so I might book coach and maybe check for a lastminute upgrade to a roomette in case I feel like sleeping in a somewhat normal bed.
And do you have to fly into NYC?
Yes, I'll be flying in from Brussels, Belgium. I'm planning on booking a flight from BRU to NYC (EWR) and the return flight from LVS to BRU.
And don't forget Canada...!
I won't! I'm saving Canada for my next trip. :)
Gosh, I'm SO looking forward to this...

XNWA: I'd love to get some tips for Atlanta! As for now, only CNN and Coca Cola are on my list. You'd recommend these?

AlanB: I might indeed check whether it's possible to upgrade to Acela. Then I could for example ride it from NYC to Boston and take the Regional on the way back to Philly

MrFSS: Thanks, I didn't know about the Cal Train. I looked up the website and it seems to be very interesting. And the price is right too: only $6.75 one-way if I'm not mistaken. And hey, it saves from having to take a Greyhound bus. That's also why I'd like to fly from San Diego to Las Vegas... don't like the thought of a bus trip to Sin City.

gswager: Good to hear that I will be able to get around in LA without a car. I had always heard that you're nowhere without a car in that city. Anyhow, I think I'll be visiting the main tourist attractions like Venice Beach, Universal Studios, Sunset Boulevard,... Any particular sights I shouldn't miss?
Yes CNN and Coca Cola would be woth seeing. Also the Georgia Aquarium, worlds largest, and the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel has a revolving resturant and lounge on the 72 floor, highest hotel east of the mississippi river, great views. Downtown area also has Underground Atlanta, shops, resurtants. Ride the local transit system while in Atlanta, Marta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, stupid me. I always thought that Amtrak and Greyhound were cooperating so that the Amtrak Thruway bus was in fact a Greyhound service. But it isn't? Now that's good news. Thanks!
Amtrak's Thruway Bus Service is contracted out to local bus companies. In this case, it is Greyhound that operates Amtrak's Thruway bus. That means that you'd get a regular Amtrak ticket to hand to the operator, and it should be included in your Rail Pass. Now in this case I'm not sure if the bus is exclusively Amtrak passengers as it is on some other routes, or if Amtrak passengers are simply put on the next normal outgoing Greyhound bus that services Las Vegas. Perhaps someone else might know the answer to that question.

But make no mistake, if you take this Thruway connection, you are boarding a Greyhound Bus. The big advantage is, it's free!

The website for LA public transportation is MTA and the commuter train's website is Metrolink. MTA operates busses and light rails.

Those places sound good for you to explore. I think it's sufficient time, probably too much, for you to explore. There are several websites that you can look for by using search machine, "LA visitor guide" or whatever. One more thing that you should add is visiting Grand Central Square in downtown LA for a delicious lunch.

I sure envy your upcoming trip. I ve spent almost two weeks travelilng by train but I would love to use that 30 day pass..maybe when I retire, if that ever happens. To answer one of your questions about an upgrade to a sleeper on the run from Chicago to Sacramento, unless you feel you need a bed, skip it. Once you are in Denver you will want to spend the day in the sightseer car. The trip, all daylight, from Denver to Grand Junction is breathtaking. You might want to consider getting a roomette from Grand Junction to Sacramento, it would be cheaper and you will still get three meals.

although i love the cal zephyr, travelling through the colorado rockies and sierra nevada...another scenic option would be to take the empire builder from chicago to the northwest, and then the coast starlight down the california coast. this would take you past the beautiful glacier park area in montana, near the canadian border. the Whitefish MT stop is a great skiing destination. after that, you'd travel through the columbia river gorge, and on to the northwest.

it's been years since i rode the empire builder, so i'm not sure which parts of the westbound trip occur during daylight hours. just something more for you to consider.

Tahoejeff: now that is exactly my biggest doubt! I can't choose between the Empire Builder from Chicago over Seattle to SF OR the California Zephyr over Sacramento to SF. Any votes? Looking at pictures of the Colorado scenery, I have a slight preference for the California Zephyr...

Thanks to AlanB, XNWA and gswager for your tips about the bus service, Atlanta and LA!

By the way, gswager, I'm planning on getting a USA Railpass, not the North America Railpass. When one has a USA Railpass, you're not required to travel on VIARail. It's not even included, I believe.

Tahoejeff: now that is exactly my biggest doubt! I can't choose between the Empire Builder from Chicago over Seattle to SF OR the California Zephyr over Sacramento to SF. Any votes? Looking at pictures of the Colorado scenery, I have a slight preference for the California Zephyr...
i just looked up the timetable, and it looks like the westbound empire builder goes through the rockies pretty late in the day. you would get to see most of it if travelling in late June to early July (if the train is on time), but for the months you mentioned, i guess you'd be better off on the zephyr. the eastbound empire builder hits that area at a much better time of day.

i just looked up the timetable, and it looks like the westbound empire builder goes through the rockies pretty late in the day. you would get to see most of it if travelling in late June to early July (if the train is on time), but for the months you mentioned, i guess you'd be better off on the zephyr. the eastbound empire builder hits that area at a much better time of day.
There you go, the decision's been made. The Zephyr it is! Thanks for the excellent advice...

If your itinerary passes through scenic territory at night you should consider an up-grade to roomette. At night a coach seat doesn't give you a good look outside. But from a roomette, with a full moon, you'll get a spectacular view of the countryside and you can watch the signals change as the engine enters the blocks. Nocturnal landscapes are absolutely unforgettable. Compare the lunar phases to your itinerary and see if you can afford a night or two of luxury. Don't forget that meals are included in the price of sleeper class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back