30th Anniversary of Amtrak's worst accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Today, September 22, is the 30th anniversary of Amtrak's worst accident; the Sunset Limited crashed into Bayou Canot near Mobile, Alabama. 47 people lost their lives due to a freak accident of a barge hitting a bridge in thick fog. The tugboat pilot was ill trained operating in fog. Sad day in Amtrak history. I can't believe its been 30 years. RIP to those lost.

I read about this accident and it was sad day for the service. There was heavy fog that day and the barge and tug was not supposed to be navigating that narrow canal. I believe it was an old swing bridge that hadn't been used as such for years so when the barge hit, the bridge turned slightly and caused movement of the track off the straight ahead path.

I remember it. In 1993 the Sunset Limited was just extended to Miami Florida in April I think. The newspapers of New York City had the tragedy on the front page for several days. And on TV it was the major story for much of the week. Thoughts and prayers to all who have been impacted.

Random note on words: When a river vessel strikes a bridge pier or other fixed object, the correct term is that it "allides" with it, NOT "collides". Thus, what you had here was an "allision", not a collision.
Allision (uh-lizh-uhn) is a term used in maritime law to describe when a moving vessel collides with a stationary object, such as an anchored ship or a pier.

I remember it. In 1993 the Sunset Limited was just extended to Miami Florida in April I think. The newspapers of New York City had the tragedy on the front page for several days. And on TV it was the major story for much of the week. Thoughts and prayers to all who have been impacted.
Yes, the Sunset Limited had just been extended to Miami in April of the year. I rode it from Miami to LA and back that summer.

Back