4 pax, 2 rooms, 1 rez. Who gets the Points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatelouse

OBS Chief
Suppose I book a single reservation online with four people in two rooms. Question is: which passenger earns the rail points for the second room?

In my experience, the first passenger in the reservation gets rail points for his/her fare, the room, and on the Auto Train, the vehicle. The second passenger gets just the rail points for a passenger fare. I have a pretty good guess for point earning for the two passengers, two rooms case...but have no idea how the reservation system would assign rooms and accommodation charges to four passengers in two rooms.

that was our situation this past summer and the points for the second room went to the first person listed for that room. In other words, we had two roomettes for four of us on a single reservation. My son and I were assigned one room and I received the points for that room and my friend and her son were assigned the second room and my friend received the points for that room. I believe the way it works if all four are adults is the first and third passengers on the reservations would receive the points. Let us know for sure.

The first person listed in the reservation gets the points for room #1, the second person listed in the reservation gets the points for room #2. That of course assumes that both have AGR numbers, if not, then the points are lost.

We have a genuine difference in assertions. Did you both book online or over the phone?

jb64's assertion makes more intuitive sense to me--that the computer would fill one room before placing people into the next, assuming that people enter passenger names in the order that they would bunk together. But jb's experience was for adults and children.

But AlanB's assertion makes more sense for flexibility and simplicity of programming: his algorithm would cover all cases, like 4 pax in 3 rooms, consistently.

Any more data points?

mine was originally booked online but then modified over the phone when the bridge got taken out by a derailed freight train near Indy and my reservation got changed from the Card to the Cap. I would defer to Alan's expertise. As you noted, mine was for two adults and two children and each set had a different last name so the grouping of b's together and then the s's together would be logical.

The first person listed in the reservation gets the points for room #1, the second person listed in the reservation gets the points for room #2. That of course assumes that both have AGR numbers, if not, then the points are lost.
That's what happened on our reservations with 2 roomettes. Last two adults got only rail points.

On our return with BR and roomette, first got BR and second got roomette.

Very interesting on the bedroom and roomette, and thanks for confirming AlanB's assertion. Since the first pax was assigned the bedroom, I presume the third pax was also assigned into the bedroom and the fourth (if there was a fourth) into the roomette--please correct me if I'm wrong.

The information available and shared on this board is wonderful. What a great community!

Back