#448 arrival times to springfield (SPG)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyahu

Train Attendant
i'm changing my endpoint on our next trip from ALB to SPG since we're going down to waterbury in two weeks. but.... we need to rent a car there, and all of the rental agencies close at 6PM. while this shouldn't be a problem for a train scheduled to arrive at 3:47PM, in the past six days, only one arrival was before 6PM. someone please tell me this is a recent and temporary phenomenon, and normally #448 isn't running more than two hours late!

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

We can't tell you that it's a temporary and recent problem. The Boston segment can't leave until the train from Chicago arrives into Albany and it is frequently at least an hour or more late. So you could be in trouble with that deadline.

I wish I could be more positive myself,

But my last trip was on 48/448 and we ended up being 5 hours late to Springfield...only 3 hours late going back the other way. While the trip was enjoyable, the many delays were not. Perhaps you might want to think about an overnight and then renting the car in the morning???

An on time 448 is a very rare phenomenon any time. I would recommend an overnight in Springfield or a cab ride down to Bradley if that's what you need to do.

Granted, it would be going further out of your way, but would you have any luck with rental cars if you took train 48 to New York and transferred to a regional train to New Haven? I'm not sure if NH would have a better rental car situation.

Granted, it would be going further out of your way, but would you have any luck with rental cars if you took train 48 to New York and transferred to a regional train to New Haven? I'm not sure if NH would have a better rental car situation.
basically, outside of airport locations and large cities, all rental agencies in new haven, springfield, hartford, etc., all close at 6PM. the bradley international location is open until midnight. so it looks like i'll need to cancel my springfield reservation and find a shuttle to BDL. what is intensely frustrating about this is that amtrak insists the train should arrive around 4PM.

and here's the thing (and i don't want to start a flame war here). every forum that caters to fans or customers of amtrak always says the same thing: "it's not amtrak's fault the trains run late; it's the host roads' fault." and yes, that is a true statement. but i've heard that excuse for decades now. amtrak has contracts with NS, CSXT, BNSF, UP, and others. if the roads are acting in bad faith, then amtrak should seek relief in the courts. period. real people need to use amtrak for real travel purposes other than railfanning. we need to know when we're going to arrive. and saying, "just plan on being a few hours late" isn't good enough.

yes, airlines and bus lines have delays. and in those cases customers are inconvenienced as well. but just because other modes of transport experience delays of their own does not abrogate amtrak's responsibility to at least try and actively alleviate the most significant problem with long-distance rail travel. for most people, it isn't SDS -- it's OTP. i can't even expect the train to get there less than 2.5hrs late. with padding. and i think that speaks volumes.

combine that with dilapidated equipment, surly employees, and rising fares, and i'm not terribly impressed. and before anybody starts demanding more dollars from congress, i'd like to see amtrak show more concern for their customers before more outlays are given for operational expenses. i have no problem, by the way, with federal grants for capital investment (new equipment, rebuilding track, etc.), but covering operational expenses should be doable.

so should using the courts and the ICC to force host roads to help run the trains on time.

for goodness sakes, with a little lobbying, amtrak could encourage congress to force the roads to run the trains on their rails on reasonable schedules on a statutory basis, as existed prior to 1996. these types of active efforts are the least they could do for their customers. after using the same excuse for thirty years, maybe they should try doing something about it.

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

Last edited by a moderator:
eliyahu, you do make excellent points, the host railroads should be held accountable for the contracts that they have with Amtrak. Unfortunately the only way this really could ever be enforced is if the Feds took over dispatching as they do the airways. The snafu there is that the railroads own their ROW, making it harder for the Feds to control. There have been a number of cooperative efforts between Amtrak and freight roads to address chronically late trains and they have been successful. Unfortunately the issue of the LSL has yet to be addressed.

As far as the employees are concerned, there are some absolutely great employees that work for this company, some of them post alongside me on a daily basis. Should there be stricter controls in the HR department? Heck yeah. But unfortunately there's little we outsiders can do.

As far as the equipment goes, there are programs underway to rehabilitate and improve the equipment, and we are seeing these results, but unfortunately there is not enough cash or manpower to rehabilitate the fleet as quickly as we would like to see.

An on time 448 is a very rare phenomenon any time. I would recommend an overnight in Springfield or a cab ride down to Bradley if that's what you need to do.
i've been monitoring 448's arrival into SPG now for over a week. it's simply too much of a 'hit or miss' to depend on. therefore i have taken your advice, and will be picking the car up at BDL.

now: does anyone know a good shuttle service that they've taken (or know of personally) from SPG train station to BDL? almost all of them which i call refuse to book me since i'll be arriving on 448 -- which, understandably, they consider too unreliable to allow pickup service for said train's passengers. and most require a 24-hr advance notice of any changes. of course, i could go via taxi, but i imagine the fare would be gigantic. anyone have useful advice here?

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

Last edited by a moderator:
now: does anyone know a good shuttle service that they've taken (or know of personally) from SPG train station to BDL? almost all of them which i call refuse to book me since i'll be arriving on 448 -- which, understandably, they consider too unreliable to allow pickup service for said train's passengers. and most require a 24-hr advance notice of any changes. of course, i could go via taxi, but i imagine the fare would be gigantic. anyone have useful advice here?
Well personally I'd consider booking tickets on 479/497, depending on which day of the week you'd be arriving into SPG. Book tickets to Windsor Locks at which point you'd be just a few miles from Bradley. Since you'd still be on Amtrak, if the Late Shore is too late to connect, at least it would be Amtrak's dime to get you to Windsor, not yours.

I just got off of 448 earlier this evening. It was basically on time. I think there is a bit of padding in the ALB-SPG section of the run.

If you are worried about car rentals, you might want to avoid 448 and book a car from enterprise at ALB. They have a counter in the train station at ALB and you would have five and a half hours of pad.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back