48/49 or 448/449 for CHI-ALB travel - any advantages to either?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
I've usually been a business class traveler on the Lake Shore Limited, but with its removal looks like I'll be in coach for an August trip Chicago to Albany, and then Albany to Chicago.

I was curious if there is any potential advantage in booking coach on 448 vs 48 eastbound, and 449 vs. 49 westbound.

My theories are as follows:

448 eastbound may be full in Chicago but will see lighter boardings from Cleveland onward with more passengers presumably headed to NYP. However, I've heard anecdotally that when you board in Chicago, you are grouped by destination to start, so all passengers short of ALB may be grouped onto 448.

For 449 vs. 49, I would think 449 will be a lot emptier than 49 when it reaches Albany, so while I anticipate it will fill up in western NY, there might be some more time with a little space?

Thanks to anyone for your insights!

THe 448/449 sleeper is directly behind the locomotive(s). Primarily for that reason, I'll always book ALB-CHI in 48/49 sleepers and ride coach or BC(not anymore) to Springfield MA where I live.

The other reason is that the NYP sleepers to/from ALB are usually, but not always, less costly than the BOS section sleepers.

I haven't been on the Lake Shore since the pandemic, so I don't know how the operation might have been changed by the new, short consists. On many pre-pandemic trips eastbound, I recall that 48 (which typically had four through coaches compared with two currently) often had lots of empty seats east of Buffalo, while the two 448 coaches remained relatively full across NY state.

On one trip I can recall basically one entire coach on 48 being filled with people going from Chicago to Buffalo, with a handful of others going to other NYS points. Once the crowd got off at Buffalo, there were comparatively few people boarding for through travel to NYP, as there are other, faster (and more reliable) corridor trains available for that trip. The coaches of 448 are the only option available for through travelers to New England, so anyone headed there from any point west of Albany gets packed in there, which results in them remaining comparatively full.

I've usually been a business class traveler on the Lake Shore Limited, but with its removal looks like I'll be in coach for an August trip Chicago to Albany, and then Albany to Chicago.

I was curious if there is any potential advantage in booking coach on 448 vs 48 eastbound, and 449 vs. 49 westbound.
Yep.

Westbound, 449 is in front, and the train comes nose-in to Chicago, so your seat is closer to the station when you arrive in Chicago. Shorter walk.

Eastbound, 49 is in the rear, and the train is nose-out departing Chicago, so your seat is closer to the station when you depart Chicago. Shorter walk.

Matters if you have mobility impairments, since Amtrak doesn't employ enough Red Caps at Chicago to pick up or drop off anyone promptly. (Which is an ADA violation, but not one which I've managed to get fixed.)

Back