$5 billion rail grant to states

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birdy

Service Attendant
I noticed a couple of news articles that are pointing to an additional $5 billion grant program to the states for rail in the budget. Apparently this is in addition to the $8 bil High Speed Rail initiative.

Does anyone know what this is about? I'm thinking maybe this is all the "intermediate" type track straightening, conventional rail, tunnel boring, catenary improvement type projects that have been discussed here.

Anyway, it sounds like the politicians decided the HSR was very well received so they want to do more. If so, the tide has turned for us.

The $5 billion is in addition to the $8 billion in the stimulus. It is part of Obama's proposed budget. From the Wall Street Journal:

Building on an $8 billion program in the stimulus bill, the budget would provide $5 billion more over the next five years to improve high-speed passenger rail corridors between major cities.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123566839046384613.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit more reluctant to celebrate this. For example, do these bills authorize spending, or are they actual appropriations bills ? Can they spending be rescinded at a later date ? Let's remember that there is a considerable amount of baggage being associated with the entire spending program, baggage which can be used as an excuse by those who are mass transit and rail transport opponents to get elected into office in future elections. Let's also remember that one common criticism of rail projects is that they are "boondoggles," or "unprofitable (despite US highways having never turned a profit, much less built with the intention of turning a profit) ," or "never-ending spending" programs (one could make the same criticism about highways, too).

I strongly suspect that the first projects to be approved for funding will be those that upgrade and add to existing service along segments of existing passenger rail routes. In other words, projects like what have already been designated in the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest HSR Initiative. I caution forum members here to be skeptical of what is posted on the WWW, and to keep pressure on Our Elected Representatives, so that HSR and higher speed conventional rail service actually see the light of day. These projects such as the Midwest HSR initiative have been discussed and discussed ad infinitum since at least the early 1980s, if not earlier. I would like to see some of these upgrades built and end the never-ending discussion.

Building on an $8 billion program in the stimulus bill, the budget would provide $5 billion more over the next five years to improve high-speed passenger rail corridors between major cities.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123566839046384613.html
I wonder how the budget for FY 2009 (or even FY2010) provide for any amount for 5 years. Something is fishy about that WSJ article IMHO.
I suspect that this article is about the authorizations bill, which sets maximum limits. These may not be the actual appropriations (i.e., actual spending).

The articles were in theBaltimore Sun and Bloomberg. At first I thought they were mere appropriations bills, but the stories said that they were in "addition" to the $8 bil. Its all very vague, however.

Other stories report that the dog and pony shows will be completed with pair cities determined in mid-June. As many as five projects with California and an unspecified "midwestern" project at the top of the list. Still no word as to whether Gov't means 110 mph "high speed" or 200 mph "high speed" for the 8 bil.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boondoggle label. with four or five separate projects the discussion will quickly turn from boondoggle to "hey! why did we get left out?" The additional funding would suggest that the demos have taken the public's pulse and decided this is a good project that they can exploit politically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back