50% bonus on points purchased or gifted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For example, our ABQ-ORL is in a bedroom, going 2 zones, so it would be 30,000 points. Can we use my 15 and then her 15?
That's the only problem with The_Traveler's suggestion. IF one account doesn't have [enough] points, then NO, one cannot combine points to use for travel.
Technically you could have one account redeem a one-zone roomette award for 15,000 points and the other account redeem another one-zone roomette award to cross two zones. That should be allowed, but you'd also be using more points than one account would need (20,000) to do the same thing. You'd need 40,000 points for two one-zone bedroom awards. So, while it may technically be possible to indirectly combine points you'll be taking a pretty big points hit compared to having all points in a single account.

free NED coach award available.
What's a NED coach? ;)

That's a pretty decent idea. The boy has an AGR account, but I've never thought of him buying points. :ph34r:
not only can you buy points for him, being the father of a minor child you can also book trips for him.
That doesn't really mean much, you can book a trip for anyone (paid or on points). I've redeemed awards for my sister and mother-in-law in the past.
I know that's possible, what I meant was you don't have to go through the rigamoroe of having to get the other persons permission to access their account to book travel for them

Bigger picture question: is this the most generous Buy Points bonus offer since the founding of AGR? I can't recall ever seeing a 50% bonus. And so quickly on the heels of the previous 30% bonus promotion (which I now see as a crafty lure to draw habitual point buyers away from the 50% promotion, effectively "targeting" first-time or infrequent buyers of points with minimal effort).

Last edited by a moderator:
free NED coach award available.
What's a NED coach? ;)

That's a pretty decent idea. The boy has an AGR account, but I've never thought of him buying points. :ph34r:
not only can you buy points for him, being the father of a minor child you can also book trips for him.
That doesn't really mean much, you can book a trip for anyone (paid or on points). I've redeemed awards for my sister and mother-in-law in the past.
I know that's possible, what I meant was you don't have to go through the rigamoroe of having to get the other persons permission to access their account to book travel for them
It's not a hard process. When I booked a 3 zone trip from my H's account - and he didn't come with me on the trip, I went solo - I called and did the whole thing. At one point I had to hand him the phone and he said yes, my wife can access my account and she has permission to do it in the future. That was it. It took all of 30 seconds of him on the phone.

I think one of the best features of AGR is that the person with the points can book travel in ANYONE's name.

If one is talking about both AGR accounts having sufficient points to cover certain itineraries, then there is no reason to pay a transfer fee.

But if one AGR account is "short" and that account holder has already maxed out on their purchases, then buying-and-sharing points from the other AGR account holder makes sense, if your trip requires the TOTAL amount of the two accounts.........

Sure it costs a little more, but so what.

I'm kicking myself for taking them up on the 30%. From now on I'll hold out for more!

While a lot of us are kicking ourselves now, even the 30% bonus was a good deal. I don't regret having bought those points for a second. If you really need more, then open up an account for a friend, fill it with 15,000 points, and start redeeming! Otherwise, repeat, "I won't lose sleep over 2000 points. I won't lose sleep over 2000 points."

Interesting that everyone's trying to outdo each other with promotions to buy points or miles. (The USAirways deal, and now this.) Most airlines allow the purchase of up to 40-60k miles a year, generally enough for a round-trip first class ticket. If Amtrak finds themselves making a profit on these points vs. revenue lost to paid travel, I can see the next step being an increase in the annual purchase limit to 20-25k points. Go for it, AGR!

Last thought: as there are no transaction fees on Amtrak points and these promos seem to appear at least twice a year, a "dollar-cost averaging" approach might be worthwhile. Google it. :)

Cool beanz........

Will buy the 10K and get the bonus. What does worry me a little is that it might be a harbinger of them raising the "rate" for redemption. Anyone know when the last time that was done?

The lady who went on the Flyer with me this weekend just joined AGR (got myself my first referral!!), so she could buy these points also (with my cash, of course) and then if she chose, she could use them to book me a roomette from DAL to MSP, and I could save my points to upgrade on my rail pass trip next year, if I am reading this right, is that correct?

And I just now saw the double points promotion from Chase AGR card that expires end of September, another one that needed signed up for...DAMMMM.....I used the card to pay surgeon and surgical center almost 6k for hernia surgery, could have doubled those points...... :( ...........ah, c'est le vie..........

Cool beanz........

The lady who went on the Flyer with me this weekend just joined AGR (got myself my first referral!!), so she could buy these points also (with my cash, of course) and then if she chose, she could use them to book me a roomette from DAL to MSP, and I could save my points to upgrade on my rail pass trip next year, if I am reading this right, is that correct?
AGR Awards include Railfare and Upgrade to Sleeper or Business Class! You cannot use Points on a Rail Pass, that is a Paid Rail Pass, upgrades on a Rail Pass will have to be Paid for!

Will buy the 10K and get the bonus. What does worry me a little is that it might be a harbinger of them raising the "rate" for redemption. Anyone know when the last time that was done?
They've raised the rates once on corridor trains, although shortly there after they came out with the special trains and the NE Zone.

But they've never raised the sleeper rates since program inception. :) And hopefully that's not coming.

For example, our ABQ-ORL is in a bedroom, going 2 zones, so it would be 30,000 points. Can we use my 15 and then her 15?
That's the only problem with The_Traveler's suggestion. IF one account doesn't have [enough] points, then NO, one cannot combine points to use for travel.
Technically you could have one account redeem a one-zone roomette award for 15,000 points and the other account redeem another one-zone roomette award to cross two zones. That should be allowed, but you'd also be using more points than one account would need (20,000) to do the same thing. You'd need 40,000 points for two one-zone bedroom awards. So, while it may technically be possible to indirectly combine points you'll be taking a pretty big points hit compared to having all points in a single account.
There's one way it can work going one way: A two-zone in one name and a one zone in the other. Round trips, on the other hand, can be worked.

I'm actually going to check the numbers on this, but I may have to get some friends accounts to buy-and-gift points on this deal (the numbers actually make sense at this point)...IIRC, I ran an analysis and it barely made sense on the 30% bonus. Somebody please remind me...how does gifting work, mechanically? Also, why is Amtrak pumping up the bonus so far versus trying to get fully paid customers? Trying to expand the program?

I purchased and paid for 5000 AGR points today and received the 2500 extra. Does this mean that I can still purchase another 5000 in Sept and get the 2500 points a second time,accruing 15,000 total points this year? I thought that the maximum that you can accrue in any given year is 10,000 AGR points.

I purchased and paid for 5000 AGR points today and received the 2500 extra. Does this mean that I can still purchase another 5000 in Sept and get the 2500 points a second time,accruing 15,000 total points this year?
Yes/

I thought that the maximum that you can accrue in any given year is 10,000 AGR points.
10,000 is the maximum you can purchase but that does not prevent receiving additional bonus points.

I thought that the maximum that you can accrue in any given year is 10,000 AGR points.
10,000 is the maximum you can purchase but that does not prevent receiving additional bonus points.
However (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I thought I read somewhere on here that once you reach the 10,000 points purchased limit, that others cannot gift you their purchased points. Or I might be mistaken. In which case that would be a very good present!

Either way, I am now the proud owner of 15,000 points!

We are about to buy our first points. We talked to someone today, and I think I understand a little more than I did, but I did end up a little confused. If we buy our maximum 10,000 points each, and end up with 15,000 plus our other rails points, can we use these towards a trip we are planning (sleeper) for next June? Can we use these points if they don't cover the whole trip? She said you couldn't use points and pay for the rest that's not covered. Would we have to buy more points before then to have enough? Do we have to have the points when we book? See what I mean! Confused!

:help:

We are about to buy our first points. We talked to someone today, and I think I understand a little more than I did, but I did end up a little confused. If we buy our maximum 10,000 points each, and end up with 15,000 plus our other rails points, can we use these towards a trip we are planning (sleeper) for next June? Can we use these points if they don't cover the whole trip? She said you couldn't use points and pay for the rest that's not covered. Would we have to buy more points before then to have enough? Do we have to have the points when we book? See what I mean! Confused!

Ok, you have a lot of question, but I am going to try to help. :)

1. Yes, if you buy your max 10K points each, you will end up with 15K in your account.

2. Yes, you can use those points and whatever other points you have in your account for a trip in June

3. You must have enough points in your account to pay for the redemption. So if you want a 3 zone bedroom trip (50,000 points), you must have 50,000 points in one account at the time of booking. You can't take 20K points from one account and 30K points from another account.

4. You can only buy up to 10,000 points in a calendar year, so you won't be able to buy more points until January 1, 2012 if you buy points now.

5. Yes, you have to have the points in your account when you book.

6. You can't do a partial payment of your trip with points and partial payment with cash. You must have the full amount of the redemption in your AGR account. However, say you want to go roundtrip on a one zone trip in a roomette (example: SEA - LAX). If you and your wife BOTH buy points, you could pay for one way with your points and she could pay for the return with her points. The roundtrip costs 30,000 points, but the trips are booked in one way increments, so as long as you both have enough for ONE WAY you are good to go.

You can also transfer points to someone else's account, but IIRC there is a fee for that. Not sure what it is off the top of my head.

LEt me know if you need more clarification.

We decided to buy the 10,000 points and took advantage of the 50% bonus. Did the math and with the bonus it seems to be to our advantage to buy them. It also pays to shop online for large items. This month we purchased a washing machine from Home Depot. The sale came out to $697.00 and since Home Depot gives 4 points for every $1 spent online there is another 2800 points for a single purchase.

How long does it typically take for purchased points to show up in my AGR account? I have a roomette reservation booked on credit card today for a trip in 7 days. I'd like to cancel that reservation and redeem AGR points instead. I have to cancel the roomette today (since I'm within 7 days), and don't want it to be completely booked when I go to redeem my points for a roomette.

However (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I thought I read somewhere on here that once you reach the 10,000 points purchased limit, that others cannot gift you their purchased points. Or I might be mistaken. In which case that would be a very good present! Either way, I am now the proud owner of 15,000 points!
I didn't say anything about gifting, just about bonus points. I believe that you're right but I'm not an expert on gifting. Moving points around from account to account is usually a lose-lose situation in my view. If you're just a hair away from a new award level then it might be worth it, but otherwise it's probably best to find another way to get the points.

I did the math on this, and I think the cost of gifting is more or less washed with a 50% bonus. It doesn't make sense at 30%, but I think 50% more or less washes it away.

What I'm wondering is why Amtrak is trying to push points buys so hard right now...it actually makes me a bit nervous (though this might well be an end-of-the-fiscal-year thing, I just get a bit worried when the offers keep improving like this).

Ok, you have a lot of question, but I am going to try to help. :)

1. Yes, if you buy your max 10K points each, you will end up with 15K in your account.

2. Yes, you can use those points and whatever other points you have in your account for a trip in June

3. You must have enough points in your account to pay for the redemption. So if you want a 3 zone bedroom trip (50,000 points), you must have 50,000 points in one account at the time of booking. You can't take 20K points from one account and 30K points from another account.

4. You can only buy up to 10,000 points in a calendar year, so you won't be able to buy more points until January 1, 2012 if you buy points now.

5. Yes, you have to have the points in your account when you book.

6. You can't do a partial payment of your trip with points and partial payment with cash. You must have the full amount of the redemption in your AGR account. However, say you want to go roundtrip on a one zone trip in a roomette (example: SEA - LAX). If you and your wife BOTH buy points, you could pay for one way with your points and she could pay for the return with her points. The roundtrip costs 30,000 points, but the trips are booked in one way increments, so as long as you both have enough for ONE WAY you are good to go.

You can also transfer points to someone else's account, but IIRC there is a fee for that. Not sure what it is off the top of my head.

LEt me know if you need more clarification.
Thanks. Your answers were a LOT of help. I went online to buy them last night, but the site was busy or there was some other problem. I'll try again this morning.

They've raised the rates once on corridor trains, although shortly there after they came out with the special trains and the NE Zone.

But they've never raised the sleeper rates since program inception. :) And hopefully that's not coming.

This is one of those times where it hurts to have been right. Seems that beginning April 1, 2012 the AGR rates have been increased on most trips, including most sleepers. :angry: However it looks like roomette costs are remaining the same, for now anyway.

(Sorry about the crappy cut/paste job, but not real computer software literate)

An update regarding Amtrak travel redemptions.

Effective April 1, 2012, a few of our Amtrak travel redemption items will require additional points. Points required for free Amtrak travel have not increased since January 2006 and it is necessary to make some adjustments in order to stay in line with today's costs. Amtrak redemption reservations that are made prior to April 1, 2012 for travel beginning on or after April 1, 2012 will not incur additional point costs unless the member requests a modification to the itinerary.

Below is a list of Amtrak travel redemption items that are changing on April 1, 2012.

Redemption Item Current points required New points required

Acela Express First Class 10,500 12,000

Business Class - Northeast Zone 6,500 7,500

Coach Class - Northeast Zone 3,000 4,000

Business Class - Special Route 1,500 2,000 Coach Class - Special Route 1,000 1,500

Bedroom - One Zone 20,000 25,000

Bedroom - Two Zones 30,000 40,000

Bedroom - Three Zones 50,000 60,000

Rule Buster* - First Class - Acela Express 18,500 19,000

Rule Buster* - Business Class - Northeast Zone1 1,500 13,000

Rule Buster* - Coach Class - Northeast Zone 5,500 7,000

*Rule Busters allow Select Plus members to redeem for travel during blackout dates; Acela blackout times still apply.

Back