58's arrival at Chicago.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jg greenwood

Train Attendant
Anyone by chance have access to the arrival time of 58 @ Chicago this morning? I'm curious as to the amount of delay incurred on the IC this morning. Thanks for any info.

Anyone by chance have access to the arrival time of 58 @ Chicago this morning? I'm curious as to the amount of delay incurred on the IC this morning. Thanks for any info.
The Amtrak website says: Arrived 2 hours and 34 minutes late.

11:38am offically :)
The IC rides again! We leave Carbondale, (MP305.7) with one unit, a 32-year old GP-38, and 10-loads of coal. Don't misunderstand me here, those GP-38's are some of the finest ever built. BUT, they're old and poorly maintained. We get almost to Dowell Jct., (MP290.4) and the poor thing gives it up!! Despite our best efforts, the beast refuses to start. There's no IC crew any where in site to come to our rescue.

Thankfully, due to some kind of equipment move at Champaign, 58 has two units. One engine is left tied to the train for hotel power, the lead unit comes to our rescue and shoves us in the clear at Dowell Jct. I would guesstimate this unnecessary move cost 58 the better part of 2-hours. It's sad that Amtrak takes unnecessary criticism for delays that are far beyond their control. Hopefully, the IC will continue to expedite Amtrak, especially after a fiasco such as this!

11:38am offically :)
The IC rides again! We leave Carbondale, (MP305.7) with one unit, a 32-year old GP-38, and 10-loads of coal. Don't misunderstand me here, those GP-38's are some of the finest ever built. BUT, they're old and poorly maintained. We get almost to Dowell Jct., (MP290.4) and the poor thing gives it up!! Despite our best efforts, the beast refuses to start. There's no IC crew any where in site to come to our rescue.

Thankfully, due to some kind of equipment move at Champaign, 58 has two units. One engine is left tied to the train for hotel power, the lead unit comes to our rescue and shoves us in the clear at Dowell Jct. I would guesstimate this unnecessary move cost 58 the better part of 2-hours. It's sad that Amtrak takes unnecessary criticism for delays that are far beyond their control. Hopefully, the IC will continue to expedite Amtrak, especially after a fiasco such as this!
But it's good to hear that Amtrak was able to come to the rescue. Even if it was the only way for them to move forward.

Yes, they were a lifesaver!! That hunk of iron was very cold without any source of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back